Do you think the colour contrast/darkness in AVP-R was done on purpose?

Started by AVP-CAPCOM, Jun 17, 2012, 09:23:07 PM

Do you think the makers used darkness to cover up a shoddy movie?

Yes- poor CGI- effects, men in rubber suits and set pieces
7 (28%)
Yes- what the audience can't see is better
5 (20%)
No- it was an accident in post production
7 (28%)
No- it was to make the film scarier
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author
Do you think the colour contrast/darkness in AVP-R was done on purpose? (Read 4,334 times)

ShadowPred

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 23, 2012, 07:33:49 AM
I spoke to Colin Strause about this last year and he claims Fox refused to let them touch the DVD/Blu-Ray at all. They said the west coast prints were fine but the east coast prints were dark. So they wanted to make the movie brighter but found out after they got the Blu-Ray from Fox, that the studio had made the movie a lot darker. They never had any say about it.

Bit of a surprise cos I always thought the darkness was their choice. It's easy to blame the Strauses but they just never stood a chance with this movie.
Quote from: Darkness on Jun 23, 2012, 07:33:49 AM
I spoke to Colin Strause about this last year and he claims Fox refused to let them touch the DVD/Blu-Ray at all. They said the west coast prints were fine but the east coast prints were dark. So they wanted to make the movie brighter but found out after they got the Blu-Ray from Fox, that the studio had made the movie a lot darker. They never had any say about it.

Bit of a surprise cos I always thought the darkness was their choice. It's easy to blame the Strauses but they just never stood a chance with this movie.

Well that explains why people say that it wasn't dark, while others say it was.

AmazSpiderMan1

So your saying West Coast prints of the theatrical release were fine, or DVD/blu-rays sold in the West Coast were fine? I really don't understand how a movie can have such a glaring problem as being too dark, and they are willing to sell it countless times, that way. It's not like they only made so many copies. I still see 2-packs being put out of both movies.

Darkness

The theatrical version on the west coast of the US was fine.

Keg

I've just stuck my copy in to have a proper good look at this issue because I havn't seen it for a long time (probably because its shit).

I actually own a US region coded DVD (im in the uk) because I thought the UK version wasn't the extended one (turned out it was just the Blu Ray that wasn't) but anyway while it's very dark at times, I don't think its unwatchable. I do tend to tweak the settings on my TV before watching it though. I actually find turning the brightness down a little bit (not much) helps more because turning it up washes everything out. So I usually turn the brightness down to about 40 (default is 50) and then whack the colour up a bit and put the contrast right up.

The darkest scene in the film are the parts in the sewers and I have no problem seeing whats going on in any of the sewer scenes, although they are darker than they should be.

Do some people literally have copies where it's nigh on impossible to make out some of the scenes?

SM

Going from Darkness said, I can appreciate the darkness of the film being somewhat out of the Strauses hands.  Especially the home media release.

AmazSpiderMan1

When the Predator comes out of the swamp, all the way to when he self destructs the crashed ship, I can barely see anything. I have the region 1 blu-ray, btw.

Edvin

i think it was there, because they wanted it to be scary, but things arent scary just because its dark...
and the action scenes were also dark, action scenes are the last thing that should be dark.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed