Prometheus Sequel

Started by Promethean Fire, Jun 03, 2012, 08:46:14 PM

Author
Prometheus Sequel (Read 4,958 times)

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 03, 2012, 10:04:42 PM
Quote from: Gazz on Jun 03, 2012, 09:58:24 PM
I need to see a Prometheus sequel because I need to make more sense of the film and because it feels like a set up for something much bigger. I really couldn't give a rats ass about a Ripley 8 film or where to go with the series beyond Resurrection. It would also require another tired way to bring the Xenomorphs back from extinction again.

Then you're setting yourself up for disappointment, because you can't go for higher stakes in a continuity where you already know the rest of humanity doesn't know a thing about these creatures/events, many years into the future. :)

Another small-scale limited event, yes. Anything larger than that, no. Not unless you want to drag in time/dimensional-travel and turn it into a 'Star Trek' plot device clone.

Nah, I mean larger in terms of the sci-fi ideas and concepts it tackles rather than what the stakes are.

EDIT: That said the hyper sleep chambers are clearly capable of sustaining life for thousands of years.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Yes.  And should a sequel take place well past Resurrection, nothing is stopping it from being more than a classified mission.

Or even after 3, between the two - 200 years is a long time.  And the military's interest was always largely in the xenomorph - maybe some massive conflict goes down in a sequel that renders the question of the Engineers and the other tech moot.

Predaker

Predaker

I thought Ridley said there would have to be at least two more movies before Prometheus connects to Alien.

Deuterium

Deuterium

I think everyone should take their fan-boy goggles off for just one second, and ask yourselves a simple question.  As a stand-alone film (completely divorced from any heritage with "Alien" and "Aliens"), is "Prometheus" truly deserving of a sequel, in it's own right??

TronJockeyRequiem

TronJockeyRequiem

I can see a sequel working despite the fact I had a ton of issues with Prometheus. This would be my ideal set-up for a sequel:-

Shaw and David make their way towards the home planet of the jockeys. Along the way, Shaw finds out that David was asked by Wayland to infect Charlie. David appears remorseful of this but tries to defend his actions. Shaw discovers that Wayland had planned on testing the black goo on a human first before using it on himself in case this was the building block to immortality. However, once he realised the goo caused mutations, he realised the answer lay elsewhere. Shaw and David enter the planet of the Jockeys and quickly see that Engineers have been creating humans to use as slaves to build their opulent planet and to also study how advanced they become. (This will allow a bigger Human cast to feature). Shaw and David discover a small band of humans who have been trying to find out their purpose for existence and can't quite relate to Shaw as they're not from earth and have no real connection. Shaw explains that the engineers have created earth, a planet full of humans, with families, friends, etc and it is the Engineers game plan to end their lifecycle so they can start over again. The humans wish to visit Earth and to experience what Shaw has.

In a unique twist - Meredith Vickers - had managed to send a distress signal back to Earth during the events of Prometheus, leading to Weyland-Yutani sending a group of mercs to investigate. They pick up on a signal from David in space and follow the jockey ship. Both vessels land and Shaw and the mercs investigate the  jockey home planet. Shaw tells them that the engineers are to be studied and not destroyed. The mercs state they are on a mission to bring back specimens. Shaw states that nothing they create must enter Earth.

The engineers plan on launching a full assault on Earth as the final jockey from Prometheus sent a warning to them that their goal had been discovered by humans. Jockey soldiers manage to capture Shaw and David. David explains that they simply want to know more about them but Shaw wants to understand why they wish to destroy us. Shaw tells David to explain to the council of Elders that they will fail in their plan as Earth will fight and destroy each and every one of them and end their plans. This enrages the Elder Jockeys - these will be monstrous versions of the Jockeys in Prometheus. The Elder Jockey then begins to unleash the true Xenomorph onto the planet in an attempt for the beasts to destroy the crerated humans but they fail to realise that these beasts cannot be controlled or stopped. Many xenos kills humans as well as hundreds of Jockeys. Shaw, David and a small band of humans make for a desperate attempt to flee the planet in one of the jockey ships. On board, a huge Elder jockey engages in a fire fight with Shaw and a few humans. David tries desperately to set a course for the ship to flee too but he doesn't quite manage it before he is torn apart by the elder Jockey. Shaw and the small group of humans attempt to regain control of the ship whilst fighting off xenomorphs, Shaw and two of the humans are hurt. The rest of the humans are destroyed by xenomorphs. The elder Jockey returns to the cockpit but Shaw has managed to lock him in with a Queen Xenomorph who had been previously kept in the cargo hold along with thousands of eggs and would also be unleashed on Earth. The huge Jockey and queen fight but the queen manages to impregnate the main jockey before he manages to kill it by crushing it and firing it out of a portal. Shaw and the surviving humans escape in a small alien vessel. The jockey manages to sent a warning to the rest of his race before succumbing to a chestburster. The ship crashes on LV426. Fades to black.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 03, 2012, 11:09:04 PM
I think everyone should take their fan-boy goggles off for just one second, and ask yourselves a simple question.  As a stand-alone film (completely divorced from any heritage with "Alien" and "Aliens"), is "Prometheus" truly deserving of a sequel, in it's own right??

Yes. Absolutely. If only to provide answers to some of the shadier details and questions the film asked. And I'm at least interested enough to find out what those explanations might be. That's enough for me.

Predaker

Predaker

Interesting question. I will have to wait until next week before I can accurately answer. If a sequel is planned to be as convoluted and confusing as this Prometheus Swiss cheese though, then the answer is no.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Sight unseen I say yes.  Why not?

With Lindelof at the helm I would bet heavily on the LV223 'incident' 2000 years ago being the major junction point that will be re-visited Lost-style at some point later if Prometheus sequels are greenlit.

A flashback or maybe an entire movie could take place at that point in Earth/LV223 history. Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind / This Island Earth but set in ancient times!

Maybe a group of Earthlings are 'taken' for examination to LV223, one escapes and sabotages the base. Almost like Alien Resurrection in reverse!

Or perhaps simply the politics of the Engineer world lead to a faction that want to protect Earth from catastrophe.

An early Ridley quote of Prometheus said:
"It's the story of creation, the gods and the man who stood against them."

'The man who stood against them' doesnt tally up with any character from Prometheus. So I would hazard a guess that an 'Earth human' or 'Sympathetic Engineer human' sabotaged the extermination/transmutation program headed for Earth 2000 years ago.

A story set 2000 years ago would also provide a more convincing timeline for an LV426 juggernaut accident...

Ash 937

Ash 937

The sequel should be called Prometheuses.  It should be directed by James Cameron.

Predaker

Predaker

I think Scott knew early on he was capable of creating a prequel worthy of a sequel. He hired Lindelof to purposely muddy up the first movie, so it would stir people up like this. Now a lot of people want a sequel, if for nothing more than answers.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 04, 2012, 12:36:07 AMI think Scott knew early on he was capable of creating a prequel worthy of a sequel. He hired Lindelof to purposely muddy up the first movie, so it would stir people up like this. Now a lot of people want a sequel, if for nothing more than answers.

A fine observation. As Lindelof himself says: 'my brand is ambguity'.

Predaker

Predaker

Exactly. Ridley knew what he would get when he called Lindelof onto the project. This is all part of Ridley's master plan.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Lindelof has said he all but took dictation from Scott, who explicitly wanted less answers, less Alien connectivity and more ambiguity.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 04, 2012, 12:53:50 AMThis is all part of Ridley's master plan.
Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed