Review and continuity.

Started by Nero the Jackal, Jun 01, 2012, 07:04:38 PM

Author
Review and continuity. (Read 10,046 times)

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Now most reviews of the film have been mixed or positive and so are the ones here, hicks said that there is a lot of confusion in the film regarding the hostile aliens.

Here is my little review: Good Acting, good plot, good special effects, nice characters.
the bad: causes the viewer to have more questions than answers, confusion surrounding the hostile urn aliens.

Though it is said they they may have been created for military purpose as one character mention that the planet is a R&D for bio-weapons.

Now the problem is that everyone is assuming that these creatures are supposed to be the xenomorphs and are assuming this film is a direct prequel.....they are wrong.
While it is anyone's guess about the aliens, the film is not a true prequel, yes it is in the same universe, yes it is set before Alien, yes it does feature space-jockeys But none of the events of the film leads into Alien.

1. in Alien, the space jockey is found dead and in it's chair. In Prometheus,
Spoiler
the Engineer aka space jockey is killed at the end of Prometheus in the escape pod rather than the derelict-like ship
[close]

2. In alien and aliens, the derelict is founded "crashed" on the planet LV-426. In Prometheus,
Spoiler
The derelict-like ship crashes on a planet called LV-223
[close]

3. In Alien, the cargo hold of the derelict is full of eggs. In Prometheus,
Spoiler
it is full of urns, which is actually the original concept along with squid-like creature.
[close]

4. in alien and aliens, the derelict is the only wreckage found. In prometheus,
Spoiler
another ship is destroyed with wreckage everywhere, if this the "derelict-like ship here was the same one in alien then old remains of prometheus would have been found.
[close]

Conclusion and theories.
So it is doubtful that these events are the remains found in Alien.

Theory one.
The creatures unleashed are not the xenomorphs or related to them but another bio-weapon they either found or created  and were more effective than xenomorphs in terms of infection rate, however, like the xenomorphs; they got free and and killed the engineers.

Theory two.
Same as above but the creatures may be perfected versions of the xenomorph as the infection rate is faster (it can happen  just through blood rather than a facehugger) and apparently the dead can be re-animated as a aggressive zombie-like being. They may be a related source to the xenos as they have similiar ways of procreation i.e
Spoiler
The squid-like creature is similar to a facehugger and impregnates the engineer.
[close]

I do have more theories but i would like to see what you lot have.

GreatKnower

GreatKnower

The lynchpin that brings ALL of this crashing down is LV223. Why use a planet in the SAME solar system as LV426? There is no reason at all to use this if your NOT going to reference Alien. In fact the entire movie is scene after scene, referencing everything under the sky Alien except the most important part, the SJ on LV426. The ONLY part any fan really wanted.
My point is, in Prometheus LV426 is not referenced, but everything else is....which defeats the point of saying/having it a standalone movie.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

And the fact that the space jockey is
Spoiler
killed in the escape pod and not in his chair in the derelict-like ship
[close]

I apologize for the many spoiler tags but the film has only just come out and i do not want to ruin it for everyone.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

I think it's easy to think too much about these things... The engineers can manipulate DNA to both create and destroy (via the black goo). This substance alters/mutates DNA at a molecular level and can result in nasties of various degrees. The hamerpedes, bodyhugger etc. simply show that the xenos have some how been manifested in the same way. The xeno is an evolution of human/engineer and black goo. Notice how when the baby bodyhugger is extracted from Shaw it looks a little like a xeno egg? Clearly the xeno egg is the next stage of that evolutionary process... to become an independent life form in it's own right and not simply a weapon to kill...

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: GreatKnower on Jun 01, 2012, 07:10:21 PM
The lynchpin that brings ALL of this crashing down is LV223. Why use a planet in the SAME solar system as LV426? There is no reason at all to use this if your NOT going to reference Alien. In fact the entire movie is scene after scene, referencing everything under the sky Alien except the most important part, the SJ on LV426. The ONLY part any fan really wanted.
we don't know it's in the same solar system

Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Spoiler
We don't even know if the boneship encountered in the film is even the same one that is in LV-426.

I would have thought that the SJ we find in ALIEN is Shaw.

And did anyone find that the Jockeyburster at the end of the film was unnecessary?

[close]

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 01, 2012, 07:18:28 PM
I think it's easy to think too much about these things... The engineers can manipulate DNA to both create and destroy (via the black goo). This substance alters/mutates DNA at a molecular level and can result in nasties of various degrees. The hamerpedes, bodyhugger etc. simply show that the xenos have some how been manifested in the same way. The xeno is an evolution of human/engineer and black goo. Notice how when the baby bodyhugger is extracted from Shaw it looks a little like a xeno egg? Clearly the xeno egg is the next stage of that evolutionary process... to become an independent life form in it's own right and not simply a weapon to kill...

True but then why don't the xenomorphs we know, continue to evolve and mutate the same way?

why if these other creatures can evolve differently rapidly in prometheus, the xenomorphs cannot? if they share the same basic dna or parts of it (the acidic effects) then they should share the evolution, saying that though....they do evolve somewhat, different hosts give different strains.

Alien: Rez incident was due to genetic mutation caused by the cloning process, so that was not "natural", though the origins of whether they are natural are in doubt; especially if
Spoiler
what the captain of Prometheus says is true.
[close]

Infected

Infected

Does this mean Leo the fart is gonna pass gas one more time?

Promethean Fire

Promethean Fire

Quote from: zuzuki on Jun 01, 2012, 07:20:06 PM

Ridley has said its the same system.  Zeta II Reticuli.  However, this is never mentioned in the film, so I choose not to agree with it.  I believe, 2000 years ago, one of the Ghost Engineers made it off LV-223 and had to ditch whilst in the vacinity of ZIIR.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: Solid Snake on Jun 01, 2012, 07:24:02 PM
Spoiler
We don't even know if the boneship encountered in the film is even the same one that is in LV-426.

I would have thought that the SJ we find in ALIEN is Shaw.

And did anyone find that the Jockeyburster at the end of the film was unnecessary?

[close]

Spoiler
I don't think it is the same ship and the jockeyburster did cause more questions than answers.
[close]

GreatKnower

GreatKnower

Yes we do. They are both in the Zeta 2 Reticula system. BOTH. You can even see the SAME gas giant that they orbit.
They should have had the movie on a totally different area of space....not LV223 or LV426. Totally different...that would make it "standalone". The fact they chose to do it on LV223 defeats the purpose. Even if it is not prequel, why reference everything alien except what people wanted to know (the sj on 426)?

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: GreatKnower on Jun 01, 2012, 07:29:38 PM

Yes we do. They are both in the Zeta 2 Reticula system. BOTH. You can even see the SAME gas giant that they orbit.

That is the one with the ring on it right?

My guess is that in another Pyramid (there were more if i recall) the xenomorphs were the project there and just like the othe rpyramid, they escaped and caused havok and an escape ship was compromised and crashed on LV-426 or they were leaving to go to
Spoiler
earth to kill humanity
[close]
and a xeno escaped and caused the pilot to crash it. Just one of many theories.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Jun 01, 2012, 07:25:47 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 01, 2012, 07:18:28 PM

True but then why don't the xenomorphs we know, continue to evolve and mutate the same way?

why if these other creatures can evolve differently rapidly in prometheus, the xenomorphs cannot? if they share the same basic dna or parts of it (the acidic effects) then they should share the evolution, saying that though....they do evolve somewhat, different hosts give different strains.

Alien: Rez incident was due to genetic mutation caused by the cloning process, so that was not "natural", though the origins of whether they are natural are in doubt; especially if
Spoiler
what the captain of Prometheus says is true.
[close]

Constant stream of different host needed to mutate?  No one knows how the eggs came about on LV426.  maybe it was a mutation.  Different DNA into the proto/jockyburster that caused the Alien we know.  Could be anything.

And on the SJ from Alien....I didn't want them to touch it.  With how up in arms people are about the movie [I see it next week], they would have had a phantom menace on their hands.  Ruin both films.

Also, in the end, blame Ridley if you don't like it.  he could have ordered re-writes at any time.  He didn't.

Then again, he also hasn't made a good movie since Blade Runner IMO.

Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Spoiler
There was no acid burn into the floor of the pilot room. Which is another reason why I think its not the same ship Unless it is caused in the sequel.

On a side note, how the hell did Shaw manage to pilot the Boneship in the first place? David was just a head, and I understand she took his body down and out of the ship. But surely she doesn't have the expertise or materials to reattatch it. Unless she used the surgery machine in Vickers' escape pod. (If she had the balls to go back in)
[close]

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Solid Snake on Jun 01, 2012, 07:38:22 PM
Spoiler
There was no acid burn into the floor of the pilot room. Which is another reason why I think its not the same ship Unless it is caused in the sequel.

On a side note, how the hell did Shaw manage to pilot the Boneship in the first place? David was just a head, and I understand she took his body down and out of the ship. But surely she doesn't have the expertise or materials to reattatch it. Unless she used the surgery machine in Vickers' escape pod. (If she had the balls to go back in)
[close]

Spoiler
Dave might instruct her on how to reattach his head to his body.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed