Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 322,849 times)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 15, 2012, 08:26:13 AM
"Like the Dark Knight?"

Lol, you're the only one who holds tight to that belief.  :D  Lol, wut?  TDK  was flawless.  You're just too afraid to admit it.
TDK flawless? I'm assuming you are in the 'Emperors new clothes 'brigade??? Yes it's the best Batman copying Heat movie there is... but I'd sooner watch Heat (which is better in virtually every department). I personally think Batman Begins is infinitely better than the bloated and pompous TDK. It has some really good scenes, but other than those that contain the Joker, it's all a bit of a snooze fest (even the action scenes).

SM

SM

The issues I alluded to earlier:

- Didn't get the start
- Payoff for the Lawrence of Arabia stuff?
- Janek didn't guide Milburn and Fifield to the exit?
- Janek effectively abandoned them to root Vickers
- Holloway gave up too early, when they had a medpod
- Was there no one else on the ship when Shaw was having the alien extracted.
- Then everyone forgot about the thing she birthed?
- Too much toing and froing in the pacing.
- Too many faceless mercs.
- And either the ending was lazy, or it was following a Frankenstein theme of the creators seeing the error of their ways ad wanting to destroy their creations because their too dangerous.

Some stuff may be cleared up in subsequent viewings, because despite the above, I'm very eager to see it again.

BANE

BANE

1) He was seeding a planet with life using the black goo.
2) No payoff, really.  :-\ Except, perhaps, the actions of the individuals in that film helped influence David's actions.
3) I have no idea. Was he too concerned with what the main group was seeing and with watching the progress of the storm? Did he think 'They got this', and when they didn't call for help because they didn't know they were lost he didn't give them any?
4) I think he had been watching them through the cams for hours, and nothing at all happened, no danger either on the map or through their headset, so he thought they were going to be fine in a place that, given all evidence, was abandoned.
5) A medpod under the control of the woman threatening him with a flamethrower.
6) Bit iffy there.
7) I think everyone knew. The indication I got when Ford and the faceless mercenary guy came to get her in biohazard suits was that David had told them about the impregnation of the alien. Thus, given that nobody else on the ship was qualified to do surgery (David says this), the precise gash and staples on her stomach would indicate exactly what had happened to those seeing and helping her afterwards. As for why no one went to check on it, no idea. But I imagine Shaw thought it was dead, or at least adequately contained in a medpod that was in an easily ejectable room in the ship, thus explaining why she didn't mention it. But I still think this could have been fixed with three or four lines of dialogue.
8. No qualms with that point.
9) Agreed.
10) I am inclined to agree with the latter.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2012, 10:58:12 PMSome stuff may be cleared up in subsequent viewings, because despite the above, I'm very eager to see it again.

I've watched it a few times, and it is more enjoyable with subsequent viewings. Unfortunately, this is because it is easier to ignore the flaws and focus on the good stuff, not because it makes more sense or because you notice connections that you missed before.

And it still leaves an empty feeling when the credits roll.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 16, 2012, 11:07:40 AM
And it still leaves an empty feeling when the credits roll.

I was the opposite. I left both viewings skipping with delight.

SM

SM

I didn't get any empty feeling either.

delsaber8

delsaber8

That's probably because the movie isn't that bad.  :D

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: delsaber8 on Jul 16, 2012, 11:05:34 PM
That's probably because the movie isn't that bad.  :D

I think you're onto something there...

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

My first reaction after seeing it was "What the f**k did I just watch?!!" On second viewing it was just major disappointment, I wouldn't go as far as saying I felt empty, because the film was obviously a labour of love by Ridley Scott, just not the film I was hoping for.

And no, I don't mean an Alien movie

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2012, 10:58:12 PM
- Didn't get the start

At the end of that scene, we see the dna strand floating in the water. Next time we hear about these creatures they are being positioned as our creators. You certainly werent the only one getting confused but i felt there were more than enough hints in the film as to what was going on.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I knew immediately that it was a ritual of some sort, but didn't know that he was seeding the planet until we saw the DNA strands and stuff. The events later in the film just confirmed that.

MrSpaceJockey

SM

SM

QuoteAt the end of that scene, we see the dna strand floating in the water.

Which disintegrates.

BANE

BANE

And rebuilds.

Terx2

Terx2

And grows.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed