Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 323,604 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The poll on this thread has the majority of folks either loving it or thinking it was good.....so interesting....

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 11, 2012, 08:48:37 PM

If the device had worked how you think it should have worked Lambert would have said "hold on Dallas the alien is below you". She didn't say that ergo we can conclude that the device wasn't telling her that.

You can conclude that it couldnt track this new alien lifeform properly, that's the point of the scene. But the idea that it only works in 2D comes only from your mind and is not any sort of plot gap. Like i mentioned before, in Aliens we have a similar scene where Hudson cant make out the readings properly the first time the aliens are encountered. Plus all the 2d displays used in the movie.

So this is done, you need to look for something else to try to call a plot gap.

I have an app on my phone which tells me where I am geographically. However, it doesn't tell me where the door is in the house... It's not that difficult to explain away.

I think i have the same app or maybe is a different one because mines can tell me where i am at and it can show me how to navigate to my house.

My last post did account for it as I stated that I believe you are wrong with your assertion...  It was not a long period of time. Overnight would have been a long period of time... heck even a couple of hours. However, the time lapse between FiField and Milburn leaving and then the rest of the exploration team leaving is about circa 3-5 minutes of screen time (and it's basically portrayed as 'real time').

Yeah i already stated that we have different priorities on length of time one should worry about loosing contact with some member of an expedition inside of an alien structure on an alien planet where you have no backups. But i dont think people in the film are portrayed as loose as you. But i guess you could be right, these people could be thinking that this is all a waste.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to state???

Im trying to state that the sentence in bold is a ridiculous statement.

Is your issue that they lost contact then? I don't really get what the issue is with F&M being unaccounted for until the away team arrived back??? Clearly the focus of the crew (and audience) is on the vehicles outrunning the sandstorm. What's the alternative? Interject the rush back to the Prometheus with shots of Janek speaking to F&M? That would have just destroyed any tension created in that scene.

Actually introducing dialogue where Janek mentions that F&M did not get back in the truck would ADD more tension because now they main group has to decide whether to look for them or get out and the idea that there are only 2 vehicles that could only bring 4 people. Maybe Shaw wants to stay while David mentions head might deteriorate from its state which makes her change her mind.

A further viewing of a movie you don't like? A glutton for punishment then...  ;)

I'm like Holloway i would do ANYTHING.  ;D

Holloway-
Mr. Fiffield, let's get a GRID of the structure. I want the whole interior.

Fif-
If there is anything here worth looking at my pups will find them. (talks about his pups)
Prometheus, we are now mapping.

We see a map appearing and some diamond shapes with some letters on top which stand for the people there being identified by the first letter of their last name.

Holloway
Fiffield, you got a read?

Fiffiel-
(looking at his wrist) Yeah, pups are saying this way.

So there you go.
There is a grid of the place, Fiffield has a wrist device that can read this grid and later on we know that Milburn must have one also since he mentions grid coordinates. How did they get lost with all of this technology shown to us in the film?

Mohawksinspace

Mohawksinspace

How did they get lost???

"Weed"

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Mohawksinspace on Jun 12, 2012, 12:43:34 AM
How did they get lost???

"Weed"
well milburn wasn't smoking any. He had his helmet on.  ;D

Gash

Gash

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM
Warning SPOILERS

This movie fails on it's own merits.

1. What exactly was the deal with the engineer at the start?  He drank that thing and then disintegrated and we're supposed to assume that they're "seeding" a planet - possibly ours?  Ok - that's fine if you want to explore that (though it's been done countless times before) but the problem is that the movie never tells us why.

This is one of the things deliberately left ambiguous. We don't really need to know. Shaw believes the Engineers created mankind and are proof of God-like intervention. At he end of the movie she knows she hasn't found the answer she wanted but she has the means to keep searching.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM2. If the dna of the engineer EXACTLY matches our dna, thus making us them and them us - why then are they twice our size? Perhaps this shows my lack of DNA knowledge but it stands to reason that if that is the case - they didn't make us at all.  We're just simply them.

From the look of the blood there is some major transistion, perhaps the DNA is only a match later, so the engineers on LV-223 are different to the initial engineer on Earth. It's very open to interpretation.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM3. Given 2, why then did they supposedly give different cultures the star map, and then leave us alone?

Another question for a sequel?

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM4. Given 2. and 3. why then did they want to kill us?  Why then did the engineer the second he was woken kill everybody he saw.

If you accept that the film is really centred around life and creation, then both Shaw and David have their own agendas to follow. It may be that choosing David as the interface between humans and Engineers was the big mistake - humans creating a being in their own image. http://johnnor.tumblr.com/post/24842386929

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM5. What the hell did the ping actually pick up?

The one surviving Jockey in hypersleep. The pup probe halted at the door to the Juggernaut.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM6. How did those guys get lost?

The temple/pyramid is supposed to be as big as the Empire State Building (in volume?) according to Arthur Max. Fifield and Milburn decide to make their way back through the very dark tunnels which they have just run blindly through in chasing the holograms. It's far from inconceivable that they took a wrong turn and before they knew it were trapped by the storm and lumbered with finding the best spot to take refuge, back were they came from when they were last with the rest of the crew.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM7. Why did David infect (can't remember his name was it holloway?) with the goo?  what was the purpose of that?

David had just come from an audience with Weyland, and an encounter with Vickers. After finding nothing but dead and decaying relics in the temple, and Shaw's destroying the head, he has been instructed to try harder. He infects Holloway to stir things up and see if there is life: the possibility of recreating something of the Engineers by proxy. Holloway, by saying he would do anything to find his answers, effectively grants David permission (in his eyes) to take the next step - if Holloway is willing to do anything, he is willing to be a guinea pig.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM8.  How come the goo affected holloway? differently to the other guy that came in and attacked the crew in the hanger?

Holloway ingested a tiny bead of the goo as administered by David. Fifield fell face first into a river of goo. Holloway was on his way to a similar fate nonetheless by the time he was taken back to the Prometheus.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM9. What exactly was up with the impregnation of Shaw and the subesquent surgical procedure that seemed just a bit too far fetched?

Shaw was made pregnant by the infected Holloway, whose sperm had been altered by his being spiked by David. The emergency Caesarian section didn't seem particularly far fetched to me; clinical and automated but still quite brutal, made more so by Shaw's having to rapidly reprogram the med-pod for a 'close enough' procedure. 

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM10. What was up with those worm like creatures having acid for blood?

The goo in the urns changes anything it touches into a bio-weapon, and just like the good old alien, it's even lethal in death thanks to acid blood.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM11.  The creature that came out of Shaw was a "facehugger? the size of a giant goddamn octopus???

It was a giant creature later. It was held in the med-pod and closed away for some time (an hour maybe) The med-bay in the escape pod is likely to hold nutrients. The escape pod itself contains 2 years worth of food supplies, (said by Janek) and this food is more than likely accessible from the med bay. The proto-facehugger grew.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM12. THe creature that burst from the engineer??

Is a proto alien, a result of human, squid-facehugger and Engineer. A fleshier less biomechanoid version of what will come later.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM13. Why the need to have that crappy Vickers/weyland connection?  "father"?

A conflict with David, a hint that she is either human or android?

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM14. Shaw's ending decision to go after the engineers and not Earth???

To find the answers she came to LV-223 to find. Also because either everyone has to die in Prometheus to not conflict with A  L  I  E  N , or they have to not return to Earth.

Quote from: stephen on Jun 11, 2012, 06:26:43 AM15. And after all of the above - the connection with Alien - We are left to assume that the goo in this one was one experiment and the alien in Alien was another experiement - ok I can accept that - the Derelict and the engineer in Alien really have no direct connection to Prometheus - ok I can accept that.  But the company knew about it.  The Nostromo was rerouted and Ash put on board.  The Derelict was sending out a warning beacon.  I assumed that just about everyone in prometheus was going to die, and somehow the company was going to get some information surrounding the Alien so that the nostromo's orders could be issued.  I expected perhaps something surrounding the warning beacon was going take place.  I never expected the Alien to be in it, except perhaps maybe at the end - and that would be perhaps the big reveal of this movie.

Ultimately - This movie fails on two counts - it's own merits and the merits of being a connecting film to Alien.  The film doesn't answer it's own questions, the questions itself poses and fails to really answer those few questions from Alien.  The big question of who/what exactly the Space Jockey is is only half answered in Prometheus and not in a satisfying way.

Also - did anyone get a "Superman" theme feel from the music?

Not getting a Superman vibe at all. The Gregson-Williams theme is more upbeat and to some extent reminiscent of some of the Star Trek movies (quite a few of those were scored by Jerry Goldsmith - so a few of his scores might have been used as a temp track to get the moody stuff and the broader more uplifting theme that is there for Shaw. I prefer Marc Streitenfeld's stuff in the score, which is generally darker and throbs quite eerily in certain set pieces, but the contrast is there for a reason. I don't recall it being as intrusive as some people here do. I might feel different with another viewing.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I think "Hello Mommy" - the piece during the medpod scene - is incredible, especially during the scene.  Reminds me of Goldsmith's classic monster cue.  I loved the music, myself.

bleau

bleau

QuoteHolloway-
Mr. Fiffield, let's get a GRID of the structure. I want the whole interior.

Fif-
If there is anything here worth looking at my pups will find them. (talks about his pups)
Prometheus, we are now mapping.

We see a map appearing and some diamond shapes with some letters on top which stand for the people there being identified by the first letter of their last name.

Holloway
Fiffield, you got a read?

Fiffiel-
(looking at his wrist) Yeah, pups are saying this way.

So there you go.
There is a grid of the place, Fiffield has a wrist device that can read this grid and later on we know that Milburn must have one also since he mentions grid coordinates. How did they get lost with all of this technology shown to us in the film?

Some of you might need to watch again,, because there was a static electrical storm that was causing interference. I picked that up on a second viewing.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Bleau there is no place for name calling. We're all friends here, even if we disagree vehemently.

About the music...having seen the film twice...I think it's fantastic. It's still not Goldsmith, but that's okay. It's unique and beautifully fits what unfolds.

bleau

bleau

I know, sorry guys, just a rough day.

Frog

Frog

I watched a 2nd time tonight in 3D and loved it even more than the first time!  I noticed many more things such as David slipping the black goo into Shaw's boyfriend's drink.  I was wondering how he got infected.

The 3D is absolutely incredible in this film.  Much better than Avatar or any film out there.  I like how the movie looks real and the 3D is not over the top with cheesy y-axis tricks.

I also noticed that Shaw & David did find another ship and fly it at the end.  (I have no idea how I missed them flying off the first time)

This movie is incredible and is certainly as good as Alien/Aliens.  I really hope they do not make a sequel.  But I guess if Ridley directed I might be ok with a sequel.  I just don't see a need.

Face Jockey

Face Jockey

2nd viewing confirmed my first impression, this movie is awesome.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Frog on Jun 12, 2012, 04:14:24 AM
I watched a 2nd time tonight in 3D and loved it even more than the first time!  I noticed many more things such as David slipping the black goo into Shaw's boyfriend's drink.  I was wondering how he got infected.

The 3D is absolutely incredible in this film.  Much better than Avatar or any film out there.  I like how the movie looks real and the 3D is not over the top with cheesy y-axis tricks.

I also noticed that Shaw & David did find another ship and fly it at the end.  (I have no idea how I missed them flying off the first time)

This movie is incredible and is certainly as good as Alien/Aliens.  I really hope they do not make a sequel.  But I guess if Ridley directed I might be ok with a sequel.  I just don't see a need.

This film definitely didn't need to be in 3D. It wasn't heavy on 3D effects I thought and could have worked just as well in 2D.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

I just got back from watching the 2D version of Prometheus in cinemas a second time. I liked it alot, it was a good film. The acting, the visuals and directing were great.

The only problem I had was the many unanswered questions. The main plot point that I really wanted answered was the black goo and what it really was for. Reading some of the theories surrounding the black goo seem plausible and they do tie some of the loose ends of the film up.

mastermoon

mastermoon

To many of the that watchedd this movie I'm gonna watch it a 4th time.

I really like this movie I know it's flawed but it's really good all we need now is the directors cut.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 12, 2012, 01:01:30 PM

This film definitely didn't need to be in 3D. It wasn't heavy on 3D effects I thought and could have worked just as well in 2D.

I thought that was why the 3D worked so well compared to any other film I'd seen in 3D, it wasn't forcing the issue it just had a greater sense of depth, which is the way to go to get 3D out of it's long lasting gimmicky legacy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed