Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 323,947 times)

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 09, 2012, 05:28:36 PM
That's military stuff, you repeat the order given as way of saying ,"Yes im doing it now."

But from a narrative point of view it's kinda silly. We get the point in what they're saying. No need to repeat it twice. Hell, not even the Colonial Marines repeated anything Gorman said verbatim.

Cvalda

Cvalda

That's military stuff, you repeat the order given as way of saying ,"Yes im doing it now."
Firstly, these people aren't military. Second, the characters do it even when they're alone.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Officially, the operation is run with a fair degree of precision.  We don't know Ford's background, no, but the entire autopsy and examination of their findings was logged and recorded, as well as observed by their superior, and they're also stating the facts for their records.  These people aren't miners jobbing it; they came here to find this stuff and to report back, and that includes narrating and dictating for the log their examinations and lab work.  Happens all the time with scientists.  Or watch The Andromeda Strain.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

We get it Cvalda, you think it's all ridiculous. ;)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 05:35:15 PM
Firstly, these people aren't military. Second, the characters do it even when they're alone.

Actually yes, some of them are. Just because the ship isn't is a different matter. It's a science vessel crewed with pilots who are FMR military, and a security force that is probably also made up of former military grunts.

BANE

BANE

QuoteOh come on. Don't be a victim. So Cvalda didn't like it, so what? Did you? Then don't let one person's opinion ruin it for ya. Enjoy the film, and revel in the conversations.
Her opinion isn't ruining anything...

QuoteIt was amusing that whenever someone would operate a keypad or a computer console, they'd say OUT LOUD FOR THE AUDIENCE what they were doing--"Vital functions! Foreign matter! Scanning now!" lulz. And at one point the computer screen is flashing something that we can read for ourselves, but Ford feels the need to recite it verbatim. She's got one job on this lousy ship--it's stupid, but she's gonna do it!

Worst part of the film for sure (aside from the editing) were the characters. All of them bar David were completely unlikeable or just annoying.
Was it for the audience or were they merely communicating with the rest of the team?

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 05:26:12 PM
Spoiler
Worst character moment by far though was the collision scene. The two pilots seem really, really excited to suddenly kill themselves.

"Hey bro, this is gonna be AWEESSOOME!"
"Dude, I don't think I'll be able to pay that debt now!"
"Nah bra, don't worry, just pay me on the other side!"

"HANDS UP! YEEEEAAAHHHH----"

*boom*
[close]

Spoiler
Would you rather they wet themselves and went out with indignity, wimpering as they died? They replaced their fear with what they found humourous. Humour is used quite often, even in real life, to cover up true emotions.
[close]

Nervous tick. I whisper stuff to myself when I'm in a rush. 'Downloading now...yes!'

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 09, 2012, 05:37:21 PM
Officially, the operation is run with a fair degree of precision.  We don't know Ford's background, no, but the entire autopsy and examination of their findings was logged and recorded, as well as observed by their superior, and they're also stating the facts for their records.  These people aren't miners jobbing it; they came here to find this stuff and to report back, and that includes narrating and dictating for the log their examinations and lab work.  Happens all the time with scientists.  Or watch The Andromeda Strain.
Shaw's certainly not keeping a record when she narrates her whole self-inflicted C-section :laugh:

Another problem with the film is the little wink-wink moments that harken back to original films without reflecting very well on the new one. For example, compare the "I have to see it" scene from ALIEN 3 with the one here. The scenes are almost identical, and yet the one from A3 is superior in every way, especially acting-wise (no offense to Ms. Rapace, who does what she can given her waifer thin character, but she sure as hell is no Sigourney).

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 09, 2012, 05:39:08 PM
We get it Cvalda, you think it's all ridiculous. ;)
And you loved it, Bethesda. We get it.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Have I said that once? No putting words in my mouth please. Upon retrospect I'm liking it more and more, but that's a far cry from LOVING it. My final critique is yet to be determined. Maybe I'll be one of the cool kids who didn't like the movie 3 months ago;) hehe

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 09, 2012, 05:43:57 PM
Upon retrospect I'm liking it more and more, but that's a far cry from LOVING it. My final critique is yet to be determined.
Who wants to take bets on the outcome being that Bethesda doesn't end up loving it?!

Anyone?

Anyone?

;)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 05:41:53 PM
Shaw's certainly not keeping a record when she narrates her whole self-inflicted C-section :laugh:

No, she's communicating with the medpod's surgical interface.  The rest of the time, she's trying not to completely shut down in panic long enough to get the squid monster out of her belly.

QuoteAnother problem with the film is the little wink-wink moments that harken back to original films without reflecting very well on the new one. For example, compare the "I have to see it" scene from ALIEN 3 with the one here.

I literally have no idea what you're talking about, so that's really no issue for me.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Yeah, she was programming the C-section, and the rest of her dialogue there is no different than all the panicked mumbling Ripley did at the end of alien.

As far as the "i have to see it" line... I didn't even consider that being a reference. At all. It's a perfectly natural piece of dialogue because she has a THING IN HER UTERUS! As horrified as you would be, you'd want to see a picture of just what the **** is inside of you.  :laugh:

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: First Blood on Jun 09, 2012, 05:34:54 PM
But from a narrative point of view it's kinda silly. We get the point in what they're saying. No need to repeat it twice. Hell, not even the Colonial Marines repeated anything Gorman said verbatim.

No in Aliens all the pilots do is tell you what they are doing. The whole drop scene are the pilots telling you what they are doing.

They actually do it when they alone? I didnt notice this.
Maybe they were talking to some one .... on the other side of a com?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

These are futile discussions. Those who don't like it, won't be convinced otherwise. Those of us who are undecided won't be swayed by them or the lovers of the film. What I don't like is poo pooing on the film as a way of validating your dislike for it. Vice versa applies too. Those who didn't like the film aren't worse or better than those who did like/love the film. It ends up being rather insulting when you're picked on for holding an opinion.

I'm guilty of it too at times.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 09, 2012, 05:54:13 PM
Yeah, she was programming the C-section, and the rest of her dialogue there is no different than all the panicked mumbling Ripley did at the end of alien.

As far as the "i have to see it" line... I didn't even consider that being a reference. At all. It's a perfectly natural piece of dialogue because she has a THING IN HER UTERUS! As horrified as you would be, you'd want to see a picture of just what the **** is inside of you.  :laugh:

But they're still almost the same scene:

"You've got something inside of you."
"I have to see it!"
"I don't think you want to."
"I HAVE TO SEE IT!"

It's comes across like a wink-wink, same as the "David, we are LEAVING!" line, the basketball bit, etc.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I thought Prometheus was beat for beat a re-telling of Alien, not Alien3? ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed