Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 322,871 times)

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

I just returned home from Prometheus and I just have to say, I loved it. It was tremendous fun to watch and I wasn't bored for a moment. Fantastic acting, grisly and impressive special effects, and a story that really makes you think.
Spoiler
Prometheus stunned me. I didn't think that it was going to be near as good as it was. I am Christian, so I was kind of iffy on the whole "they created us" thing, but I was pleasantly surprised at how Ridley handled it. The scene where the worm creatures attack the two men was brutal and entertaining. I cringed when it broke the guys arm. I was impressed at how the Engineers worked and looked in this movie and now I know what the hell that thing in the chair in Alien was! The scene where Shaw had the squid taken out of her was nasty. (in a good way) and I loved it when the Squid grabbed the Engineer and put the Proto-xenomorph inside him. That really is the only thing that had me thinking. Was the Proto-Xenomorph the first Xenomorph? In a way. I believe, that since Alien took place around forty years after Prometheus, the derelict from alien had already housed a Proto-xeno and the engineer in the chair and his other comrades had thought that they could use the Xenos as a weapon. From there came the eggs. This quickly turned on them and wiped them out. The last surviving engineer on the ship was face hugged and before the chestburster could exit that Engineer, he sent out a warning to all who might come into contact with the Xenomorphs. So, that is my theory. I thouroughly enjoyed Prometheus, and will most certainly be seeing it again.
[close]
My final score for PROMETHEUS: 9/10

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 09, 2012, 03:35:06 AM
No Cvalda review?

I think she is barely finished watching it. Unless I am mistaken, I think I read a post she made today that said she would be watching it around 6 or 6:30. Which means she's barely out of the theater.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Her face right about now:

ShadowPred

Aliendonut

Aliendonut

Great movie. The old man mask Mr. Weyland was wearing.. :laugh:
The camera should have panned back to him at the end of the credits and showed it peeling away. Perhaps it would all make more sense in the next movie as to why the Engineer was angry. Maybe 10-11-2012 is another clue. I don't think the other Engineers are going to be too happy, whoever or whatever wakes them up.   

PROM3TH3US

PROM3TH3US

Ok I'm so far behind and to lazy to go through every threads. So my question is who and what were the Engineers(space jockey)?  Here are my 2 theories:

Spoiler
1.  They are a super intellect specie but are drone.  They are the creator and destroyer of life.  Even though we carried the same DNA from them we aren't program like they do.  Their job don't need to carry the weight of humanity morality of right or wrong.  They are the Alien specie that Stephen Hawking is warning us about. I'm basing this on the stupid scene when they just woke up and try to kill everyone and reset their course right away which was postponed and attack by their own biological creation thousand of years ago.

2. They are an intellect specie that see into the future.  They know what we are capable of and were wrong to bring us into this world.
[close]

I preferred and want to believe in answer #1 which I think would make Prometheus more bearable but if it's answer something like #2 than it's just a terrible thought out script with plenty of holes to sink into.

[T)A]DarkDragon

[T)A]DarkDragon

Coming as a huge alien fan, this film was a bit of a disappointment. Still a good movie though, for people who aren't alien fanatics they will most likely really enjoy the film.
I agree with pretty much everything said in the avpg review, and as well give it a 3.5 out of 5

Spoiler
The creatures are cool and i loved the giant face hugger monster, just wish we would have seen more of it. It would have been better to have the movie focus more on this monster and the engineer versus adding all the other creatures that aren't very important to the story. Such as the snakes and mutant fifield. These creatures kind of took away from the story and added too much.
[close]
The acting was very good, but was spoiled by corny lines and moments. Such as
Spoiler
when we find out vickers is weylands daughter, the scene where the engineers head comes to life, and Pearce just looked stupid in the make up it would have been way better to have had him play a younger Weyland.
[close]
I was actually shocked that Ridley would put these ridiculous scenes in one of his movies. I must also agree with avpg's review in that Fassbender was by far the star of the film.
Even though the film is over two hours, everything happens way to fast.  Shortly after the film starts the team is already on their mission. I did like the fact that the team went to the engineer space ship multiple times, versus in alien where they only visit the derelict once. It really made the mission seem important.

All in all its a good movie, well more than likely buy it once it comes out on dvd but wont be going back to the theater to see it again.
This movie had so much potential, and you can tell when you watch it.

The PredBen

The PredBen

I personally enjoyed the film. Just saw it, and I was impressed by both the visual imagery, and the sound. I thought the over the top - grand style score was going to be iffy, but when it was needed, it came through. I was also very impressed with Fassbender's portrayal of David. He was very "robotic" so to speak, and yet he was similar to a human in some ways. I thought Theron's Vickers and Rapace's Shaw were decently developed, I found them interesting. Before I knew the story, I wanted a
Spoiler
direct prequel, this wasn't it. But I digress.
[close]

As for the story itself, I felt the film got rather messy. Adding in lots of different things
Spoiler
unimportant creatures, the Weyland  versus Vickers subplot (which I enjoyed) and several other things.
[close]
One thing I liked immensely was
Spoiler
The engineer's design, and the proto/giant facehugger-squid. I also must say the Engineer struggling against this beast was one of the best, most intense moments in the film. Two super-strong creatures facing off, bit Alien vs Predatorish, no?
[close]

Overall, I'd give it 4.5 out of 5. It wasn't the prequel I wanted, but hey, it was a great film, and I hope it generates a sequel.

Hudson

Hudson

I'm extremely disappointed in the jockey designs. EXTREMELY disappointed.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Overall, it was a very intriguing film, and I'd say I enjoyed it a fair bit.

It basically exploded an entire PLETHORA of new questions for this universe, perhaps a bit too many to handle immediately, I'm gonna have to write a more thought out review for sure.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'll jump into my review of it as a film unto itself and save the continuity issues for later. As a movie, it works quite well. I felt that the acting was good, and excellent in some cases especially where Noomi Rapace was concerned. She really made some fantastic choices as an actress for her scenes and she stood out very well amongst the rest of the crew. Michael Fassbender was equally as good in my view as the deceptive/secretive android. It came as no surprise to me that he was the token company man and hearing him say "Yes Sir" to the cryotube immediately gave away who he was addressing. Not really anyone's fault I suppose since it's pretty hard to conceal that secret. I also liked how he convinced Shaw at the end, to save him. He knew he had to appeal to her desire for answers so while it was to save his own ass obviously, I liked the awkward chemistry between them.

The other characters, Charlize Theron included, I felt were largely throwaways. I mean really, what was she doing besides being the token hot chick in a space jumpsuit? We get that she's angry because she hasn't had sex in a while and because she's living in her father's shadow. There wasn't much development of her character outside of her scene with Weyland and they she dies rather quickly. Idris Elba was fun to watch and had some good dialogue. The other characters...well, I don't even remember their names so go figure. Logan Marshall-Green was OK. The only thing I got from him was that he was dedicated and was also an alcoholic. But we don't know anything about his past or what makes him want to explore the questions he is asking. He keeps saying "I need to know" but doesn't say why he needs to know.

The set pieces were definitely the best thing about the film. They nailed the look and feel of Alien with the Prometheus and the interior of the derelict looked exactly like I expected. It wasn't exactly like Giger's original creation, but it was good enough. Any ideas on why Giger didn't work on this film? I also liked the camera work. The opening pan shots of the landscape were well done and really gave me the impression that the planet is not only totally bare, but extremely vast as well.

The script was good. It was miles ahead of the crap we got in Predators and it goes without saying it's better than either AvP film. The references to Alien were subtle enough that I got them so those were kindly appreciated. I'm curious to know what the original references would've been like, before they were removed.

The final scene,
Spoiler
did anyone else think almost immediately before the Alien stood up that it was the Dog Alien? I saw it on all fours at first so that was my first guess. Anyway, I'll save that discussion for another thread.
[close]

All in all, 7/10. The film wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite good. I'm not disappointed but I'm not satisfied either. It's definitely going to require multiple viewings in order to fully understand and appreciate.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

With reagard to your spoiler question: No I didn't think thats what it was, but that is exactly what I was reminded of.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Wow.  Okay.

It's been a long night, and I've had a fair bit to drink, so let me just say this: I expected to have to spend most of the night defending this flawed but good film to my co-workers and colleagues, mostly hardened industry vets.  They had seen the mixed cross-section of reviews and had expected shit.

They loved it.  And I pretty much loved it too.

I'll do a much more detailed post when I'm, uh, sober, but suffice to say I found the major bugaboos people have with the film here to be relatively minor.  It's easily the third best film in the Alien canon - an older friend, a grizzled film lover who is hypercritical and doesn't care much for Aliens calls it second best but I wouldn't go that far - and it's damn good.

As to the major issues others have, I'll say this:

- Shaw leaves the squidbaby/proto-hugger behind - Fine.  She has clearly frozen it inside the pod when she leaves, and expects it to be contained there.  Narrative shorthand in the story easily allows us to assume the crew was informed and assumed the organism was contained while they went to meet the Engineer.  They have their specimen, and Shaw is alive.  All's well that ends well.  Until the climax.

- Janek explains exposition - Fine.  He is a military vet and went inside.  Their horrific experience thus far led him to put it together, and remember, Janek and his men have been watching the expedition through helmet-cams all along.  They've seen it all, and he's put the picture together.  The little we got of Chance and Ravel - easily as much as many of the Marines from Aliens - also allows me to buy their sacrifice, after the stuff with their 'wager' and so on.  They went to the temple too.

- Vickers - I wish she'd lived.  My many friends at the screening didn't care.  They thought there was plenty of her and the film didn't need to be longer.  They did want more of Guy Pearce sans old man makeup; that was their only real complaint.  I think Charlize did amazing work, especially off Idris Elba, and I want more of both of them on the Blu-Ray.

- Millburn (sic; that's how it's spelled on his helmet) engages the hammerpede - Others had issue with it, I didn't.  Millburn is frightened of giant corpses, but he is a biologist.  Animal life is what he believes he knows and can understand.  He also is punchy and probably a little high off Fifield's stash by that point.  Fine.

- Holloway's sacrifice - Fine.  Most people didn't care for him among my group, but they did think his sacrifice scene worked, and so did I.

Everyone loved David.  Even more than Shaw - Noomi Rapace was great - this is David's movie, through and through; the logical extension of Alien and Blade Runner and Scott's fascination with the replicant.  David, the dream-stealer, is a fully-realized character who, unlike Batty, is viable for the future, gray and ambiguous and untrustworthy but a massive audience favorite.  His opening reverie is incredible, as is his material throughout the film.  "Who doesn't want their parents dead?"  Tell it to Tyrell and Batty, man.  I wish they had filmed the Weyland dream scenes.

Also: the surgery scene, everyone agreed, was on par with anything in the first two films.  I was amazed.

I am genuinely shocked and pleased.  I expected to have to apologize for a lot more of this movie to my friends, and online.  There are things I want more of or would've changed - more Kate Dickie and Benedict Wong, more Engineer at the end, more Guy Pearce sans makeup, a bit more rationale for Fifield and Millburn bugging out, Fifield's mutation, etc.  I also frankly suspect this was the cut they tried to submit it as PG-13, but didn't get it.  I think/hope there is a harder version of several scenes out there, including the Fifield/Millburn attack, and I want it.  Bad.

But everyone, everyone in that theater totally bought Janek, the vet, understanding the installation; they bought his sacrifice; they understood the supposedly 'ambiguous' nature of the disaster and what had happened there.  We were given just enough to understand what happened.  Nobody complained.  I've rarely seen a film where online fandom is so off the pulse of something.

This is going to be a hit, and it will get a sequel.  It's not 2001, and it's not Alien, it has things I would change and I'm sure I will talk more about them when I'm not drinking.  But it is pretty damn decent and a fine, fine addition to the canon.  Third best in the franchise.  Welcome back.  If this film can tame a pack of industry 9 to 5ers who expected crap as well as a Friday night midtown audience, it's not going anywhere but up.

Huzzah!

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

I liked it but it I didn't love it. 7/10.

I want to rate the movie higher but there are certain things that prevent me from doing that.

Spoilerfree as much as possible

A: The movie feels fragmented in a lot of places, both in editing and sometimes in story. The 'Jumping Fifield scene' while both amusing and awesome felt out of place and incomplete, for example.

B: This is more of a nitpick than a complaint, but some of the dialog-isms that characters have ('Whoo!' for example)bugged me.

C: A certain creature...and not one squidlike in nature...appears at the end of this movie. The creature looked hastily put together, poorly designed and ultimately felt unnecessary, though it was nice to have a sort of nod. (People who have seen it will know what I'm talking about )

Oh, oh. Rest assured, despite their humanoid appearance, I actually found the 'Engineers' (plural) to be pretty f**king cool. That was one aspect I was worried about that I ended being pleasantly. Whoever is playing that engineer deserves a lot of credit and so does Scott for adding a sense of relatability and some humanity, while being strangely ghost-like and inhuman.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Waiting for Cvalda's review

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed