Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 324,447 times)

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

I got to admit I did love this film, my expectations were high and it did deliver! Ok there were a few too many things going off for me and there was some stuff that wasn't neccary but overall I really enjoyed this film! The last 5 minutes I thought this is how It bridges into Alien but then something else "pops up" which ruined my theory of how it bridges! Tbf it is a stand alone movie but can definitely see the links to Alien! It does need and for me personally deserves a 2nd watch!

Valaquen

Valaquen

Slept on it, and hashed out my thoughts: http://alienseries.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/prometheus-review.html

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 04:23:46 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 01, 2012, 12:12:30 PM
I've only read the 'its climax felt rushed' from maybe 3 people.

The ending was just a missed opportunity but its still not the worst ending her like some are making out. Ideally what this film could have done with is an extra 30 minutes in the running length, and I'm pretty sure they've shot a lot more than they showed us

Agreed, parts felt a little rushed!

MrLee

MrLee

I thought the designs of all the various Aliens were terrible also which is weird compared to everything else in the movie which looked great.

Zenomorph

Zenomorph

Quote from: Kimo on Jun 01, 2012, 04:56:56 AM
Just got back from seeing Prometheus...

Oh and another thing is that at the end of the film people were clapping... now i live in the UK and up north i never hear people clap infact this was my first time hearing people clap.

Haha, at my cinema (in Perth, Australia) we barely get clapping unless its a massive nerdfest, like when I went to the Star Wars EpIII Premiere
For this Prometheus premiere I was the one who started those mother fk-ers clapping
YEEEH BUDDDY!!

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

6.5/10

Mainly for great visuals and set design, the first half of Prometheus was everything I hope for, but after that the film really starts going down hill, the last 20 mins so badly editied, some scenes making no sense at all, or worse, being left  unexplained, while the final scene with you-know-what is just silly AvP style.

Alien³

Alien³

My short review from my film review website...http://allaboutfilm.tumblr.com/

Prometheus (2012)

A team of explorers heads out into the darkest depths of space to meet a race of beings who had given life to Earth. Excitement is running high until they get there and discover not all is what it seems. 

Now, as many people know, I've been harking on about this movie ever since I heard it was being made, but unlike a lot of fans out there i decided to not over-hype myself. Yes I talked about it a lot but I understood the fact that it wasn't going to be what I expected. So at mid-night May 31st 2012 I sat down and watched possibly the most interesting movie ever with open arms.

This movie will be a marmite movie. Audiences will either love it or hate it. I...well...I loved it! It breathed fresh new acidic life into the Alien franchise after the Appalling failures that were AVP & AVP2 and brought a whole new table of things to talk about. So many new things that I would advise seeing it twice or maybe three times. 

There were a few of issues that bugged me with Ridley's return to sci-fi: 1) Too many sub-characters, they were just there to rack up the body count. 2) The last 30 seconds. It was awesome to know that thing was out there (so to speak), but I felt it could have been handled with more class; and 3) the open ending. This is only a concern if a sequel is never made.

Apart from those three things I loved it all. Prometheus looks absolutely stunning the effects were some of the best I've seen and blended so well with the mind-blowing set pieces! The score (I might be the only one who says this) was beautiful and fitted perfectly with the scale of the movie. All the creatures (especially the Engineers) were terrifying and badass, even if their life cycle was a little blurry at times and the cast were all on top form especially Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron. They were sympathetic and believable from start to finish.         

Not a classic like Alien but a blinding romp through sci-fi horror, a genre that had been missed for a long time. Prometheus is a genuinely scary roller-coaster ride with nail-biting scene after nail-biting scene. I look forward to the sequel Riddles, if you're reading this. 

8/10

Eva

Eva

Just remembered one detail that might put a tiny smile on peoples faces, including those who haven't seen it yet.

Remember the trailer/tv-spot shots of the Prometheus arriving at the planetoid, displaying those huge PROMETHEUS letters on the side of the hull and how it looked quite bad? I'm happy to report that they are gone in the finished film - 100% gone.  :)

Necronomicon12UK

Necronomicon12UK

I agree with every point made here.

So much just seemed rushed, unexplained and the script is really shoddy.
Spoiler
It started when Shaw clearly mark the MedPod out blatantly for use later on and just got worse with clunky lines, weak characters and ridiculous looking creatures.
[close]
Nicely filmed, but I just cannot believe how Ridley Scott thought that script was good.

Basically, all the decent bits AND storyline are revealed in the trailer also.

Very disappointed - 4/10 for me.

Mastes1

I appreciate the responce bud, it took me an age to write lol.

zakzak

Are these posts created by people who want to seriously lower audience expectations for the movie? 4/10 is a little harsh. Judging by the footage alone, the movie even with a clunky screenplay can still garter a 6/10 to 7/10

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 01, 2012, 03:53:16 PM
Reviewers of this thread, what rating would you give Prometheus, not as an Alien-related film, but as a science fiction film in general?

Difficult to say... it's certainly the best sci/fi thriller in years. I don't think it's as good as The Matrix say (although of course The Matrix is not really a thriller), but infinitely better than stuff like Event Horizon, Sunshine etc. Ultimately, I don't think it comes close to Alien or Aliens... how could it? But it's head and shoulders above everything else that has copied that Alien/Aliens template over the past 20/30 years. Another thing - it's the only movie, other than possibly Aliens, that's the most reminiscent of Alien, but at the same time, it's the most removed (due to the lack of xeno's no doubt).

As an Alien movie - 8/10
As a Sci/Fi movie - 7.5/10

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: zakzak on Jun 01, 2012, 06:54:57 PM
Are these posts created by people who want to seriously lower audience expectations for the movie? 4/10 is a little harsh. Judging by the footage alone, the movie even with a clunky screenplay can still garter a 6/10 to 7/10

Well, with respect, our views are based on the entire 124 minutes of the film, not the 5 minutes or so of clips and trailers. May I suggest you see the film yourself and form your own view before criticising the views of others. We all have our own opinions - there are as many people ecstatic with the film as those who dislike it. I hope you fall into the first camp.

Necronomicon12UK

Quote from: Mastes1 on Jun 01, 2012, 06:49:51 PM
I appreciate the responce bud, it took me an age to write lol.

Well, it saved me writing it mate!

Maybe, but I am factoring in the missed opportunity and my disappointment of the film.
It was just so off  >:( and I hate to say it.

Mastes1

To be honest, its probably a good thing to lower your expectations.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed