"Dated" movies

Started by DUB1, May 26, 2012, 01:03:06 PM

Author
"Dated" movies (Read 2,855 times)

DUB1

DUB1

Yet another complaint I frequently read on Internet message board is that certain older movies look too dated. That they haven't aged well and so on. I've read that about Alien in the "criticism of Alien" thread.

My question is, why is that a bad thing exactly? Why is it so bad that a movie from the 80s feels like a movie from that decade? Do people hate variety so much that every movies they watch must feel "modern"? Do they believe people in the past were such a drastically species that they couldn't enjoy movies about them at all? Because such complaints sound like an utter disdain for the past to me.

I liked the 80s. They were a great time for movies and music. Every decades before the twenty-first century were better times for movies, but I am particularly fond of the 80s. Lot of movies from the past had superior special effects and a better atmosphere than most modern movies.

I look at some of today's movies, like Wrath of the Titans, and I just have to both laugh and cry. It, like many movies these days, is filled with laughably unconvincing CGI. It's akin to to making a sculpture out of fecal matter, oh wait, actually no, that too would be more impressive that most of the CGI I've seen. People say the Alien in Alien looked fake? Ha, certainly more realistic than the entirety of Wrath of the Titans!The funny thing is, CGI in it's earlier years was better used. One example of that would beTerminator 2: Judgment Day. Hollywood tragically went nuts with it.

Another reason to miss the good old days: There weren't so many goddamn remakes, and many of the few there were surpass most of the modern ones in my opinion.

So anyway, I'd like to know why "dated" movies are so bad in some people's minds.

mastermoon

mastermoon

In the past Hollywood use suits, animatronics, miniatures sets, and Model Animation (Is a form of stop motion animation designed to merge with live action footage to create the illusion of a real-world fantasy sequence).

These days too much CGI is used it takes away the fun.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I personally love that 80's feel many movies from that decade have. But if this is going to be just another thread where people sit around and complain about CGI, then I'm out.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

It depends on the film, really. There are some films that, when watching them, you know that nothing like this would ever be made today, and it just makes you appreciate them even more. Ghostbusters and The Evil Dead are perfect examples of this.

On the other hand, there are plenty of things out today that just never would have worked in the past. The Avengers, for example, probably would not have been nearly as good as it was had it come out 20 years ago. And films like Cabin in the Woods or Rise of the Planet of the Apes are essentially love letters to films that came before them, and would have never been made or appreciated without the films that came before them.

Really, I prefer not to think of films as "old" and "new", or "modern" and "dated". I just prefer to watch films. We, if they're good, anyways. Time of release or type of effects doesn't mean nearly as much to me as the script, the characters, and the overall story of the film.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Laufey on May 26, 2012, 01:13:38 PM
But if this is going to be just another thread where people sit around and complain about CGI, then I'm out.
Following ya.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 26, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
It depends on the film, really. There are some films that, when watching them, you know that nothing like this would ever be made today, and it just makes you appreciate them even more. Ghostbusters and The Evil Dead are perfect examples of this.

On the other hand, there are plenty of things out today that just never would have worked in the past. The Avengers, for example, probably would not have been nearly as good as it was had it come out 20 years ago. And films like Cabin in the Woods or Rise of the Planet of the Apes are essentially love letters to films that came before them, and would have never been made or appreciated without the films that came before them.

Really, I prefer not to think of films as "old" and "new", or "modern" and "dated". I just prefer to watch films. We, if they're good, anyways. Time of release or type of effects doesn't mean nearly as much to me as the script, the characters, and the overall story of the film.

This right here man, this right here.

First Blood

First Blood

I personally love that 80's feel many movies from that decade have.

You complete me.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: First Blood on May 26, 2012, 01:38:21 PMYou complete me.

No chick flick moments, okay?

DUB1

DUB1

I personally love that 80's feel many movies from that decade have. But if this is going to be just another thread where people sit around and complain about CGI, then I'm out.

Oh, no, CGI isn't the only thing wrong with most modern movies. There's also lame rock or metal, crap I mean rap, and the frightening lack of creativity.

But back to the complaints about dated movies, one I've read about Aliens was about Burke's hair looking too "80s". And then there's the one about the old computers in Alien. But these things to me are part of the movies' charms. In Alien's case the old-looking yet futuristic technology made for a rather interesting future. I can accept that it was made in 1979, not 2012, but that little fact does seem to annoy a lot of people, who'd want to pretend it along with every older movies was made today.

I agree about the 80's feel. The visuals, the music (again), the atmosphere. Sigh. How I miss that decade.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 26, 2012, 01:24:48 PM

I agree with your first paragraph. But I disagree about the Avengers. I would have loved to see how it would of been done back in the 80s.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on May 26, 2012, 01:41:18 PM
No chick flick moments, okay?

Heh, alright. Jerk.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: DUB1 on May 26, 2012, 01:42:40 PMI agree with your first paragraph. But I disagree about the Avengers. I would have loved to see how it would of been done back in the 80s.

This might give you a good idea. ;)

Quote from: First Blood on May 26, 2012, 01:43:43 PMHeh, alright. Jerk.

Bitch.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Agree, a good example being the old The Thing vs. the new one.
The new one just didn't feel the same with it's less-grainy film, modern style and sharper sound effects. Some may consider not having them like that detrimental but I.M.O the older film's 'flaws' provide part of the atmosphere and feel.

Some with Alien, Predator, Terminator 1 / 2, etc.

x2SMONEY

x2SMONEY

I wasn't an 80s kid, so im not big into the 80s feel. Im into the 70s feel though.

At first glance I thought this was a thread to talk about movies you've taken your date to...
...but then I realized what site I was currently on...  ::) :laugh:

mastermoon

mastermoon

Hollywood is very lazy these days because animatronics and suits are not used much in recent movies.

What happen to miniature sets?.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: mastermoon on May 26, 2012, 03:48:25 PMWhat happen to miniature sets?.

You mean like the ones that are being used to create the biggest movie of this year? :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed