Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes!

Started by Glaive, May 15, 2012, 08:03:29 AM

Author
Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes! (Read 57,805 times)

Virgil

Virgil

The track 'Hammerpede' echoes Goldsmith's use of horns to indicate an Alien presence. I quite like that.

Some tracks left me a little underwhelmed, as Deuterium pointed out. Some strangely remind me of Danny Elfman (anybody else?......No?) Also, there's this two note motif going on, and it gets a little annoying after a while.

Yet, as a whole listening experience I personally find myself enjoying it for the most part. I'm now looking forward to seeing some moving images play alongside the soundtrack (16 days  :)).

Zenzucht, I'm afriad there never was any news of a Vinyl release.

SpeedyMaxx

I was pleasantly surprised - I think it's pretty excellent from what I've heard.

The Goldsmith/Horner scores have so utterly wormed their way into our consciousness for decades that nothing would ever be seen to us as so iconic, but I think this is very good.  It's also worth remembering that a fair bit of the final Alien was from of a whole other age, from Huston's Freud.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on May 15, 2012, 08:09:04 PM
This is a bunch of ancillary, random, moody avant garde dissonance that I would never be able to listen to for enjoyment.  Just my opinion, of course.
Hey, hey, hey--moody, avant garde dissonance is awesome! Ligeti, Penderecki, Kilar, etc. Check them out, you won't be disappointed. Like I said earlier, there's a difference between artful noise and just... noise. ;)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Birth and Infected are my two favorites so far.

Eva

Eva

The last part of Hammerpede, those sudden bursts of sound reminded me of the final moments of The Shining.

I'll agree though that only about a 1/3 of those I've heard sofar, 'stick out' in a good way. The rest doesn't do that much for me, when just listening to them without the visuals and the full context.

A Planet is quite solid as well. I just hope they crank up the volume in the finished film when the landing scene plays, because imo it's too muted in the clip we've seen. I wanna be awed by both visuals and score  :)

Totally with Lady Cvalda on Kilar - I rewatched parts of Dracula when doin' our little thing and his score for that film is completely majestic. Stunning in parts...

Firestorm

Firestorm

The Harry Gregson WIlliams Cue "Life" seems a bit on the happy/positive side don't you think?

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: Eva on May 15, 2012, 08:11:47 PM
Anyone else think the tracks #3 Engineers and #4 Life will be playing during the prologue?

#1 A Planet is definately the track playing when The Prometheus lands. I can imagine #6 Discovery to play when the first enter the giant head chamber...

No point for me to buy the CD when it is released because I don't really have a decent stereo system. I'll probably pick and choose from digital downloads...

This. I don't believe the tracks are in chronological order for the most part. Hearing 'Life' played over the beginning of time sequence would be a pretty fine way to open this movie in my books  :)

Snowdog

Snowdog

There is a track called "Engineers" and there is one called "Space Jockey". This really makes me think they're not the same type of creature. I know i said it before but i'm kind of excited :P

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Cvalda on May 15, 2012, 08:22:55 PM
Quote from: Deuterium on May 15, 2012, 08:09:04 PM
This is a bunch of ancillary, random, moody avant garde dissonance that I would never be able to listen to for enjoyment.  Just my opinion, of course.
Hey, hey, hey--moody, avant garde dissonance is awesome! Ligeti, Penderecki, Kilar, etc. Check them out, you won't be disappointed. Like I said earlier, there's a difference between artful noise and just... noise. ;)

Agree completely. I mean, man, the way Kubrick used some of that in 2001 and the Shining is unbelievable. Too much of the Prometheus score is rather muted and underplayed, or else has me desperately thinking I can hear echoes of someone elses' (better) work...
Still, I don't think any of this will detract from the movie - I'm sure the score works very well with the images, I'd just have liked to have something gorgeous to listen to on the train, like Adagio from Alien 3.

Firestorm

Firestorm

Having now listened to the full score, i think its going to fit the film very well.

In all honesty this is more like a series of textures and moods, which i think once assembled together with the moving image of the film will be very effective.

It's pretty far out and creepy sounding, i like it.

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: ucdom on May 15, 2012, 08:39:12 PM
Still, I don't think any of this will detract from the movie - I'm sure the score works very well with the images, I'd just have liked to have something gorgeous to listen to on the train, like Adagio from Alien 3.

That's one of my favourite scores from the entire series  :)

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Firestorm on May 15, 2012, 08:47:19 PM
Having now listened to the full score, i think its going to fit the film very well.

In all honesty this is more like a series of textures and moods

That's what I liked best about the pastiche that was Alien's final score.  A lot of silence and then weird tones; also, the beautiful old piece over the credits.  This evokes a lot of that for me, but adds some grandeur given the premise of Prometheus and its larger scope.  Especially with A Planet and Life.

I really like Going In and Engineers as well, which quite reminds me of some of Goldsmith's unused score.

I like Elliot Goldenthal but I always thought his score was a bit off, except for a few pieces like the end.  Maybe that's just because I so disliked 3.  His work, which was good, seemed like a wasted effort as well as dissonant with the film.

Winkie Bear

Well, my kind of beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5vvgRHs-0#ws

Also love Lento and Candles in the Wind. When this movie first came out, I was about 20-something, and really used to piss of my night-shift mates by playing this score really loud. Christ know what they thought of me...

I know what people say about Alien 3, and it is indeed a masterclass in how not to produce a film, but the fact that is isn't a total bag of shite (which is really down to the way the story was developed) is thanks to the incredible artistry of the designers, the director, and very much to this wonderful musical score.
With the right development process, 3 could have been remarkable.

Maybe worth pointing out that Ward's original script had alien embryos being passed from mouth to mouth.... just sayin'

SpeedyMaxx

I think Goldenthal's score would've fit much better with Ward's film, yes.  But I think all the versions of the film that evolved out of that, including his original script, were very flawed, despite some good ideas, and then that got mangled into something just boring to me, on a lot of levels.  I don't think any of them had it at all.  I would very much like to see David Fincher of the 21st century take on the franchise today, except I know he'd never touch it again.

Firestorm

Firestorm

Quote from: ucdom on May 15, 2012, 08:59:20 PM
Well, my kind of beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5vvgRHs-0#ws

Probably one of the best Cues in the entire franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed