What is the current 'theory' for the storyline? (possible spoilers)

Started by The PredBen, May 02, 2012, 01:42:56 AM

Author
What is the current 'theory' for the storyline? (possible spoilers) (Read 16,770 times)

Qwertify

Quote from: EXTERMINATUS on May 03, 2012, 10:13:56 AM
ROFL.Ok invasion humans were replicated not farmed.If anything the pods were farmed so wrong there.The Thing absorbed and assimilated beings.So wrong on 2.The blob absorbed or consumed people and got bigger.Again where is the farming.wrong also.3 The matrix u may have minor point but since everything turned out to be a simulation your wrong on that too.Not to mention we were farmed by our own creation in the simultaion.Not whats going on in this movie.That is all.

Oh yeah and none of the movies except alien used people as hosts.Also there was no people farming in Alien and only one person was a host.
Ok, before you start to ROFL and reply, read the entire post next time, please. If it appears that something is obviously wrong to you - then it probably sounded wrong to the person writing it, which means that they either have another or alternate point, or they are just wrong and don't know it.
My point was that Scott doesn't want to tread over old ideas, and that includes combining different ideas from different films. If you take an amalgam of  those separate elements from those films, you more or less can get the idea of aliens farming humans. My second point was that, since farming tends to be very cyclical, although it is not impossible to say the aliens are farming Earth, it just seems like a very clunky and indirect way of doing it.
Again - I cannot say you or wrong, not do I think it is a bad idea. In a sense I agree with you. My personal opinion on the matter is that different from yours. I mean - we all know that ship is headed for Earth with ill intent - so there are only so many reasons we can come up with anyways.

EDIT:
I guess a lot of this has just been covered by OpenMaw - but I'm going to post anyways.

velagod

My two cents on one of the elements of the story with the cobra vagiana things we have seen in the new trailer these cobra things latch on to charcters and seem to infect them and theyy seem to make the head melt or explode now we have seen shaw infected with something but it makes her stomach swell like pregnace and we have seen dangaling over her head a alien that more closely resembles the facehugger we have seen in other movies so my theory is because shaws a woman she can give the alien infection a more tradional birth but more accelerated.

so they do a suzerain  out pops the  facehugger we all no and love and this will help move us aloong into the last 8 minutes that have the alien dna

ryanjayhawk

Most of the movies mentioned use humans in one way or another, the idea that would be a great plot device is that the Jockeys/Engineers created and nurtured us in ways similar to both God and a Cattle rancher.  This even in the Matrix has not been done...  the machines simply turned on us and used us (we already existed, and the battery scene wasn't in a simulation is was in the real world.

We were literally created from nothing to incubate Alien experiments.  We were then raised and tended... only not because we were loved or prized creations but so we could be used like a resource.  It would be a very overt assertion that we are not the apex in the universe, which most people subconciously believe.  In every other invasion movie, you still get the sense that humans are superior for whatever reason; our compassion, love, etc. Aliens are normally represented as merely having superior technology that we must overcome. 

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 03, 2012, 01:07:36 PMIt would be a very overt assertion that we are not the apex in the universe, which most people subconciously believe.

Alien pretty much made that assertion already.

EXTERMINATUS

Yeah well maw was incorrect also.Completely off base.

OpenMaw

Quote from: EXTERMINATUS on May 03, 2012, 04:30:22 PM
Yeah well maw was incorrect also.Completely off base.

No, I wasn't. We've explained to you how and why it works. Drop your ego for a minute and think about it, please.

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 03, 2012, 02:13:33 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 03, 2012, 01:07:36 PMIt would be a very overt assertion that we are not the apex in the universe, which most people subconciously believe.

What I mean is, if I were to take on a 700 lbs. Tiger hand to hand I would lose, if I was to take on a 20 ft. Great White Shark I would lose... Not that man is the apex predator in the sense that physically I can dominate other species but rather I know that with a rifle I could kill a Tiger or a shark.  Alien teaches that there are even more exotic creatures much more physically capable than what we know, but Ripley still wins and humans are still apex.

Now if it turns out that the timeless question of why am I here, what is my purpose leads to -----> I'm a meatsack to incubate alien science projects etc.  Then suddenly I feel much less entitled as I wonder through existence.

Qwertify

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 03, 2012, 07:37:55 PM

What I mean is, if I were to take on a 700 lbs. Tiger hand to hand I would lose, if I was to take on a 20 ft. Great White Shark I would lose... Not that man is the apex predator in the sense that physically I can dominate other species but rather I know that with a rifle I could kill a Tiger or a shark.  Alien teaches that there are even more exotic creatures much more physically capable than what we know, but Ripley still wins and humans are still apex.

Now if it turns out that the timeless question of why am I here, what is my purpose leads to -----> I'm a meatsack to incubate alien science projects etc.  Then suddenly I feel much less entitled as I wonder through existence.

This is a very interesting point. Ash had stated that it was a "perfect organism." What does 'perfect' really mean though? Because he mentions that it is a 'survivor' and that it is 'hostile,' we putatively link this to who wins in game of live or die, or who the master the given the laws of evolution.  In almost every Alien invasion film, humans outsmart the "smarter" alien life forms
Spoiler
(except for, I'm thinking War of the World where microorganisms do the trick, or in '82 The Thing, where everyone just freezes).
[close]
So, if Ripley is a better "survivor" or "fighter" than this alien - it would appear that that is the message. From the director's point of view, I agree with you that they are under heavy pressure to make humans the winners. Letting the aliens win is too easy to do in a story - and also pointless and unsatisfying. Nevertheless - occurrences which you cannot account for, or the randomness of events, always makes everything a coin toss. Sometimes the underdog will win even though it is in every sense, the inferior team. More specifically, ninety-nine times out of a hundred it will lose, but that every hundredth game, it will be able to come out on top due to luck, essentially. So as Ash says, "I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies," it makes us wonder how much of the conclusion is a result of chance?
Did Ripley just get lucky - or are we just the better team? The average movie goers will think we're just better - while on the directors side, Ridley likely let Ripley get lucky.

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Qwertify on May 03, 2012, 08:03:42 PM

This is a very interesting point. Ash had stated that it was a "perfect organism." What does 'perfect' really mean though? Because he mentions that it is a 'survivor' and that it is 'hostile,' we putatively link this to who wins in game of live or die, or who the master the given the laws of evolution.  In almost every Alien invasion film, humans outsmart the "smarter" alien life forms
Spoiler
(except for, I'm thinking War of the World where microorganisms do the trick, or in '82 The Thing, where everyone just freezes).
[close]
So, if Ripley is a better "survivor" or "fighter" than this alien - it would appear that that is the message. From the director's point of view, I agree with you that they are under heavy pressure to make humans the winners. Letting the aliens win is too easy to do in a story - and also pointless and unsatisfying. Nevertheless - occurrences which you cannot account for, or the randomness of events, always makes everything a coin toss. Sometimes the underdog will win even though it is in every sense, the inferior team. More specifically, ninety-nine times out of a hundred it will lose, but that every hundredth game, it will be able to come out on top due to luck, essentially. So as Ash says, "I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies," it makes us wonder how much of the conclusion is a result of chance?
Did Ripley just get lucky - or are we just the better team? The average movie goers will think we're just better - while on the directors side, Ridley likely let Ripley get lucky.

In the original ending Ripley was killed by the Alien and it recorded her final entry in her voice... I believe that was Scott's idea, and the studio said she needed to live and that would be too dark that the audience would reject it.  So with an additional 30 years it makes you wonder how Scott will end Prometheus?

Qwertify

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 03, 2012, 08:26:39 PM
Quote from: Qwertify on May 03, 2012, 08:03:42 PM

Spoiler
[close]

In the original ending Ripley was killed by the Alien and it recorded her final entry in her voice... I believe that was Scott's idea, and the studio said she needed to live and that would be too dark that the audience would reject it.  So with an additional 30 years it makes you wonder how Scott will end Prometheus?

Interesting. Thanks for bringing this up. I did not know that - or have not heard of it. Do you know where it comes from? Is it the DVD commentary? (I haven't heard it yet.) I like this tidbit, that the alien has a great sense of its surroundings, and is very intelligent, as it would debunk Cameron's bastardized interpretation that the Alien is just a mindless bug - operating in a hive like manner, and that rifle to it is as good as a swatter to a fly.

It does make think about how he will end it. Nevertheless - I think that the lifeboat does take them back home - at least one person back. Scott has said he would like to do another film after this one in the same universe. If everyone dies on the other hand - it does leave a lasting impression of the horror encountered. On the other hand, again, Shaw is constantly referred to as a survivor - and I think the audience would relate to her too much at the end for it to make movie sense to just give her character the axe(see what I did there?).

ChrisPachi

I get you now. I guess it is pretty blatant that a young warrant officer can outsmart a creature that beat down an engineer, three freaking times (with a little help here and there of course). No matter how superior Scott makes the engineers in the new film or how horrific the new monsters are, there will always be that pesky little fact; Ripley uses xeno blood to polish her god-damned boots. Maybe Scott should've killed her off after all. ;)

GreatKnower

GreatKnower

Ive been thinking about the SJ POV of things. They've already mastered things on the nano level. So over time their "plans" and line of thinking would be more MACROscopic instead of MICRO. This is their downfall though. Life finds a way. Like a virus, one rogue jockey infected them, and enchanced himself with the products (gene therapy).

When i think of the Prometheus heading to LV223, im thinking its like a sperm heading for an egg. (does the sperm know it will "die" and pretty much the only part left of it will be the combinations of its genetic data that SURVIVES the merger between itself and the egg's data?) most likely not.

The entire process of them going there is to create a new being or the next step of evolution. The crew (shaw) thinks they are going there for their own benefit and in a way they are.....but in truth, not for human reasons. (Not anymore atleast, not since the "betrayal", more on that later). I think what we have is one Jockey who is hellbent on creating a being, or merging itself with  ALL dna's possible, hence the urns (trophies). He experimented on his crew members and they died (except one who got away), and has turned what was a garden into hell. He just waits for species to come there. He poses as God to the beings that arrive much to their demise. He is trying to become God by literally becoming made up of all things, Biological,Mechanical,and Spiritual. Just like an Android wanting a soul....to be human.

Its possible that human dna is a missing piece he's looking for (spirit)(ironic we are there to look for our missing piece)  and decides to head to earth after witnessing their arrival, to "Harvest" it. ALL of it. He probably has done this lots of times to all the beings that he has urns for. Each of those planets on the SJ holo map are the DNA's/ worlds he has "conquered"/cataloged.

David or Weyland is our him and the same betrayal that the SJ commited  is played out before our eyes with the humans. I think Vickers has knowledge of a beacon saying to stay away (LV426) but is not telling anyone directly because her mission is the same as Ash's was. 

Its possible the Jockey that we meet is actually a Xeno Jockey and is NOT our true MAKER or SJ, they all died after his birth. He is the "King" Xenomorph. Weyland is all about this mission because he thinks he can actually pose a challenge to the King and take what he wants in one fell swoop instead of earning or actually gathering the data planet by planet as the SJ's did. The King did to the SJ's what Weyland is trying to do with him. ARROGANCE and THEFT.

He wants what we got and we want what he's got. The product of all of this? Internecivus raptus  A murderous thief.

OpenMaw

Quote from: GreatKnower on May 04, 2012, 12:57:28 AM
David or Weyland is our him and the same betrayal that the SJ commited  is played out before our eyes with the humans. I think Vickers has knowledge of a beacon saying to stay away (LV426) but is not telling anyone directly because her mission is the same as Ash's was. 

So they have knowledge of this beacon 30 years before space truckers are redirected to check it out, but they send their state of the art sicence vessel to check out this other place that is allegedly near where that signal is coming from?

Qwertify

The product of all of this? Internecivus raptus  A murderous thief.

I think that interpretation is okay. I disagree that the main point is related to "Internecivus raptus." This is an invention of the people compiling the Alien Quadrilogy DVDs, and is something that bears little to no relation to Scott's original vision.

Also - the idea that some force out there is seeking perfection, divine power, and intergalactic dominance would not break new ground - something Ridley promises to do in Prometheus.

GreatKnower

GreatKnower

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 04, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

So they have knowledge of this beacon 30 years before space truckers are redirected to check it out, but they send their state of the art sicence vessel to check out this other place that is allegedly near where that signal is coming from?

Thats what im postulating. If Vickers is up out of cryo or woken up before everyone else its possible that her and/or david receive the transmission as they approach the star system. Vickers relays this back to earth, in which the response is her "new" mission. She immediately starts doing pushups obsessively to cope with her new orders. She knows there's a threat and that they will all die down there,mostly. David tells the humans this at some point later on when it starts hitting the fan. David might even lead the charge, protecting the humans, David and Goliath style. This could be why she throws him up against the wall. Her failure could be why they send Ash to do it 30 years later, he wont have the same.....moral barriers that a human or series 8 might have.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed