Lv-223 and Lv-426?

Started by Space7Horror, Apr 29, 2012, 04:56:48 PM

Author
Lv-223 and Lv-426? (Read 37,988 times)

Blanco

Blanco

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 29, 2012, 06:12:42 PM
Quote from: Blanco on Apr 29, 2012, 06:12:05 PM
What if they are the same planet?  Weyland cover-up.  By the time Alien comes around LV-223 is being called LV-426.

It's been confirmed it's not the same planet.

Really?  Where?

Vickers Valiant

Vickers Valiant

I'm pretty sure Ridley and Damon have said that it's a different planet in one of their Q & As.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Vickers Valiant on Apr 30, 2012, 08:57:11 AM
I'm pretty sure Ridley and Damon have said that it's a different planet in one of their Q & As.

Yep! :)

zakzak

zakzak

Human has 23 pairs of chromosomes, 46 in total. Bio-engineering, LV 223, LV 426. Yes?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: zakzak on Apr 30, 2012, 01:52:58 PM
Human has 23 pairs of chromosomes, 46 in total. Bio-engineering, LV 223, LV 426. Yes?

We'll just ignore those extra numbers in the three digit code being used there.  ;)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: zakzak on Apr 30, 2012, 01:52:58 PM

Woah, never caught on to that.

SM

SM

With good reason I suspect.

RustiSwordz

RustiSwordz

I think the two planets are in the same star system. In fact i believe both planets are orbiting the same gas giant.

SM

SM

If they're next door neighbours wouldn't the new planet be called LV-424 or LV-428?

RustiSwordz

RustiSwordz

Who knows. My name isn't Sir Patrick Moore.   ;D

ryanjayhawk

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2012, 11:22:46 PM
If they're next door neighbours wouldn't the new planet be called LV-424 or LV-428?

The LV is enough for me... I don't personally see them as next door neighbors but rather in the same general area.  To clarify again, just because I see them as somewhat close I do not believe the movie will link the two.

And stuff

And stuff

Anyone who knows anything about astronomy able to tell us how likely another planet with the same "LV" designation would be, or why they're named how they're named?  Seems like two planets with the same "LV" title would be in the same system, but I wouldn't have a clue.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Opiate on May 01, 2012, 02:29:15 AM
Anyone who knows anything about astronomy able to tell us how likely another planet with the same "LV" designation would be, or why they're named how they're named?  Seems like two planets with the same "LV" title would be in the same system, but I wouldn't have a clue.

LV was something made up for the Alien movies. It honestly doesn't tell us jack shit. It's there to sound official. We don't even know what LV stands for.

Barringer

Barringer

The IAU has no system for naming extrasolar planets, but currently discovered extrasolar planets tend to be named after their star with a letter after its name starting with 'b,' e.g. the first planet around Zeta Reticuli 2 would be called Zeta Reticuli 2b.

LV-223 and LV-426 are both moons of Jovian planets, and AFAIK no extrasolar moons have been discovered so there's no naming conventions for them at all.

SM

SM

QuoteWe don't even know what LV stands for.

Location Vector - as far as I've heard second hand.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed