Why is Scott so secretive over whether Prometheus is or is not an Alien Prequel?

Started by predxeno, Feb 19, 2012, 08:55:55 PM

Author
Why is Scott so secretive over whether Prometheus is or is not an Alien Prequel? (Read 10,479 times)

tonton

Why give it away?

You're going to wait, either way.

predxeno

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Feb 19, 2012, 11:20:04 PM
In every franchise that started as a film series and branched into other media, the films have always been the base level for canon. Given that, should Prometheus prove to be a Alien prequel/spin-off as the evidence suggests, why wouldn't it be canon?

It may take place in a different universe.

Quote from: arogony on Feb 19, 2012, 11:31:17 PM
Why give it away?

You're going to wait, either way.

At least we'd know what the film is then, and there wouldn't be any more arguments about it.

Gash

predxeno

Who knows; one person says the film is 100% an Alien Prequel, another person may say it may not be that and then a disagreement occurs.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh come on we all know it's a remake in the original essence of what alien was supposed to be. ;D You know, until the 1979 alien budget and lack of modern day technologically crippled that idea.  I still think it's possible that the entire trailer happens inside of the first 20 minutes of the movie. haha :P  ::)

One thing is for sure, there will be penis!

Although seriously, I think it is more of a remake tbh. From urns to a giant head and the large temple, they were all original ideas for alien that got cut out for one reason or another.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 19, 2012, 11:57:24 PM
Oh come on we all know it's a remake in the original essence of what alien was supposed to be. ;D You know, until the 1979 alien budget and lack of modern day technologically crippled that idea.  I still think it's possible that the entire trailer happens inside of the first 20 minutes of the movie. haha :P  ::)

One thing is for sure, there will be penis!

Although seriously, I think it is more of a remake tbh. From urns to a giant head and the large temple, they were all original ideas for alien that got cut out for one reason or another.

I don't think it's in any way a remake at all, though I do think that Ridley Scott is probably looking back at a lot of the stuff that went through development stages early on in the making of   A   L   I   E   N   and he's using elements of it now. I'd agree though that in essence Prometheus might well be taking the route he envisioned if no sequels had been made, hence his comments about  the style/tone DNA connecting to nothing but the first of the 'franchise' - ie his vision, not other director's watered down version of it.

The 'very uncivilised things' comment definitely hints more at the ethos behind the way events unfolded in  A   L   I   E   N.

bunnyavpg

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2012, 12:26:38 AM
The 'very uncivilised things' comment definitely hints more at the ethos behind the way events unfolded in  A   L   I   E   N.

Only in the respect of Ash trying to kill Ripley to safeguard his mission. There are some pretty sick things done in the Aliens movies done for money -  "You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f***ng each other over for a goddamn percentage." The Xenomorphs were killing machines, they were not sadistic or mercenary, I think we willl see some things in Prometheus that will make your skin crawl, whether it's on part of the SJs, the humans or something else I'm not sure though.

BioMechanical

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Feb 19, 2012, 09:21:46 PM
Quote from: azrael55 on Feb 19, 2012, 09:11:51 PM
you should be aware of the fact that scott doesn't give a shit about the VP-part in AVP... and so should everybody else. they had two shots, they missed with the first and the second almost killed both franchises. So "fans" should be fcking grateful that scott was still interested in the alien universe and convinced the studio to try it one last time. You certainly can't blame anyone involved in trying to get a fresh start by not DIRECTLY connecting it to Alien (and most of the shit that followed after...) and being a bit secretive about it.

Some of us "fans" thought they were great films and can't understand why others of you are being so bitchy about it. "Fans" shouldn't be so quick to tell others they're wrong or what they should think about the franchise. Am I excited Scott is making a new film with ties to Alien? f**k yes. Do I feel "f**king grateful"? No. Why should I be? He's not "fixing" anything. Nothing's broken. He's not making the film because he felt the need to "correct mistakes." He's making the film because he's been toying around with the concept of a story about the Jockeys for years, and now was the right time to do it.

I appreciate your opinion, but try to be more polite about it in the future.

It makes me wonder how you could think those movies were great and then be able to form a group of sentences into a paragraph the way you did above?

I think if you think those movies were great, then your going to be completely and utterly blown away when you watch Prometheus. Your socks and shoe's are gonna just get launched off your feet. Hell, you might even have and orgasim. Lol!

I cringed when I watched those sorry excuse for movies (AVP) just the way most of us here did. I still do.

You should too.

evolution_rex

I think the fact that Prometheus not being an Alien prequel is still debatable. I know that they said it's not a 'direct prequel' does not mean it's not a prequel.

But, I think it's becuase it started off as a more direct prequel, and that got all the fans excited. Then it began to become more of a spin-off, but the fans were still excited so they didn't have the heart to break the news.

Space Sweeper

Sharp Sticks

Space Sweeper

I mean... they certainly LOOK like Cheerios... and they have the same LOGO as Cheerios... but I'm not sure, they may be Captain Crunch.  :-\

Or from a different f**king universe.

predxeno

Change "Captain Crunch" to "Fruit Loops".

Space Sweeper

MrSpaceJockey

Holy shit Sticks your avatar is going to give me nightmares.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed