In defense of AvP Requiem

Started by Xenomrph, Dec 11, 2011, 09:33:12 PM

Author
In defense of AvP Requiem (Read 10,220 times)

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2011, 11:24:38 PM
$120m worth of little interest in substance.

Didn't the movie make a ton on dvd/bluray as well? I'd say for two shitty films that franchise is worth about a half billion $$$.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Rothschild on Dec 11, 2011, 11:22:35 PM
The only reason I think he's trolling is he is trying to justify AVP:R in an articulated way. Most people who praise it lack common understanding of film structuring and fail to see where the film went wrong. I.e. teenagers or people who only watch something for its cool factor and have little interest in substance.
Oh believe me, I have no misconceptions about AvPR being a "good" movie, but I do find it legitimately entertaining and there's individual aspects of it I like a great deal.

Mind you this doesn't really salvage the movie as a whole, and I certainly wouldn't rank it as second across all Alien and Predator movies. I recognize its failings, I'm just willing to overlook them.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 12, 2011, 01:55:07 AM
Quote from: Rothschild on Dec 11, 2011, 11:22:35 PM
The only reason I think he's trolling is he is trying to justify AVP:R in an articulated way. Most people who praise it lack common understanding of film structuring and fail to see where the film went wrong. I.e. teenagers or people who only watch something for its cool factor and have little interest in substance.
Oh believe me, I have no misconceptions about AvPR being a "good" movie, but I do find it legitimately entertaining and there's individual aspects of it I like a great deal.

Mind you this doesn't really salvage the movie as a whole, and I certainly wouldn't rank it as second across all Alien and Predator movies. I recognize its failings, I'm just willing to overlook them.

Out of curiosity where would you rank it? I'd rank it above AvP and A:R as my bottom three.

SM

SM

QuoteDidn't the movie make a ton on dvd/bluray as well? I'd say for two shitty films that franchise is worth about a half billion $$$.

That sounds a bit ambitious.  Mind you I've never come across a site like Box Office Mojo that gives DVD/ Blu-Ray sales figures.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

So the guy bandies large words around *Thanks Thesaurus.com!* And suddenly his defense is supposed to be credible?

This is blatant ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gw0ByNPGU#ws

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: echobbase79 on Dec 12, 2011, 01:56:39 AM
Out of curiosity where would you rank it? I'd rank it above AvP and A:R as my bottom three.
I'd rank it similarly, but I might swap AvPR and Alien Resurrection, I dunno. Probably depend on my mood that day.

I mean to be perfectly candid none of the Alien or Predator movies are anywhere near my overall top 10 movies of all time. Blasphemy, I know. :P

Dowly

Dowly

QuoteThe Town is beside the Forest, the Sewer is underneath the Town

Rebecca Black's new hit single right there.  :laugh:

Valaquen

Valaquen

That guy's mastered the art of a politician - say a lot whilst saying nothing at all. Like SM said, he's thrown in a lot of wank in the hope that it passes for substance and critique.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 12, 2011, 04:47:44 AM
Quote from: echobbase79 on Dec 12, 2011, 01:56:39 AM
I'd rank it similarly, but I might swap AvPR and Alien Resurrection, I dunno. Probably depend on my mood that day.

I mean to be perfectly candid none of the Alien or Predator movies are anywhere near my overall top 10 movies of all time. Blasphemy, I know. :P

I do the same thing with AvP and A:R.

Gosutoraida

Gosutoraida

To me, AVP:R was just a Friday the 13th rip-off with added Aliens and Predators.

mastermoon

mastermoon

If you want a better movie watch The Thing prequel.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: mastermoon on Dec 14, 2011, 06:47:46 PM
If you want a better movie watch The Thing prequel.

Looking back The Thing Prequel is pretty bad as well. I thought the movie was okay the first time I saw it but after seeing it again, I gotta so its pretty uninspired and boring. And the CGI effects look worse on the small screen.

But back on topic...

Quote from: JokerJohn35 on Dec 14, 2011, 03:38:10 PM
To me, AVP:R was just a Friday the 13th rip-off with added Aliens and Predators.

But so is Alien if you think about it. It's just done with so much more skill and inspiration.

SM

SM

So skilled, that it ripped off Friday the 13th a year before it was released!

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on Dec 15, 2011, 05:32:34 AM
So skilled, that it ripped off Friday the 13th a year before it was released!

No, you misunderstand me. I just talking about the formula. I mean Alien is basically ten little Indians in a spaceship. You could throw in human in that scenario and it still be the same thing. But Alien didn't rip off Friday the 13th! lol 

SM

SM

I didn't misunderstand.  Just mucking about.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed