Under The Skin

Started by ace3g, Oct 25, 2011, 02:51:25 PM

Author
Under The Skin (Read 88,983 times)

Vickers

Vickers

I'm not saying I'd be able to understand everyone's English 100% when they have thick accents like that but I do think being exposed to different accents and speaking more than one language helps to understand a great deal of it.

I just find it ridiculous when people who speak perfectly understandable English have subtitles for their dialogue and then others in that same feature/documentary/television show don't get subtitled. And it's usually because they're from a different country and have a slight accent.

Now... back to Under the Skin... where's the subtitles for this guy so we can see what was actually said? :p

Eva

Eva

He also uses very typical British small talk typical responses & expressions, like 'ay', 'cheers' etc., just like he uses the word 'pretty' (which is typical for the British), whereas Americans are more likely to use the word 'beautiful' to compliment a woman. When you've become used to Brits using these words, you recognize them instantly when you hear them on the fly, so to speak.

As for subtitles, it might also be a service to the hearing impaired, who might have trouble lip reading someone speaking with a thick accent.... ???

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

War Wager

War Wager

At 0:33 it's "Aye, you've got a nice smile too by the way"

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 28, 2014, 09:34:50 PM
Darude!/10

Spoiler

Unf, that '90s track. 8)

Lol, what did you think of the film though? :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: War Wager on Jun 28, 2014, 09:35:04 PM
Went back and listened, can still barely make it out :laugh: And it sounds like the next thing he says is "dick pig" :P

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 28, 2014, 09:38:55 PM
Went back and listened, can still barely make it out :laugh: And it sounds like the next thing he says is "dick pig" :P

Me neither - only the word 'smile' stand out and the context suggests he's talking about her smile, but I can't make out the actual spoken words. I'd never have guessed what War Wager writes... :D

War Wager

War Wager

And it sounds like the next thing he says is "dick pig" :P

It's "definitely" :D

I'm Scottish myself, so understanding those accents is second nature. They're a fast talking bunch though, Glaswegian's.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

He must visit your livestream. ;D

Cvalda

Cvalda

Vicks and I did creep his Facebook profile the other day :laugh:

Eva

Eva

Quote from: War Wager on Jun 28, 2014, 09:49:53 PM
And it sounds like the next thing he says is "dick pig" :P

It's "definitely" :D

I'm Scottish myself, so understanding those accents is second nature. They're a fast talking bunch though, Glaswegian's.

I'm hearing 'dick big' or 'big dick'-ish myself as well. :D

If it is 'definitely', he's pronouncing the word very differently than how an Englishman would usually pronounce it imo.

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 28, 2014, 09:57:14 PM
Vicks and I did creep his Facebook profile the other day :laugh:

You guys just became Grimesified! :D

Nightmare Asylum

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Eva on Jun 28, 2014, 09:59:41 PM
You guys just became Grimesified! :D
Please, millions of people have already seen his ass and fake cock :laugh:

Eva

Eva

Well, that was in an artistic context. ;D

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 28, 2014, 10:13:42 PM
Quote from: Eva on Jun 28, 2014, 09:59:41 PM
Grimesified! :D

http://i.imgur.com/zMSruOM.gif

Can't complain, but between the two of us -

Spoiler
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And it's like, half past midnight here and my lungs hurt from having to hold the laughs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed