Prometheus Set & Location Pictures

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 08, 2011, 09:38:34 AM

Author
Prometheus Set & Location Pictures (Read 83,166 times)

Highland

Anyone who thought the Animatronic T-rex trumped the CGI one needs their eye sight tested monthly.

People are far too quick to lump CGI in with a bad movie as the reason it was bad. Fact is, Episode 3 for however shite it was, still has some amazingly good CGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KH1GOFUCHk#ws

ThisBethesdaSea

The CG Yoda still seems WAY off comparing it to Gollum or the N'avi. It looks digital, as opposed to photo real. But that's just me.

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

I really do not understand this today´s obsession with ultra-realistic CGI effects.
Example...I remember watching Raiders when I was a kid and even that time i found the effects entirely fake....great,but still fake.
This made Raiders bad?Absolutely NO!

Alien1

Alien1

So im wondering if this movie will be apart of a new Alien box set... seeing as it looks like it IS a prequel so far..... OR if its not even guna be apart of the Alien series..

ThisBethesdaSea

the point of effects is to seem real without seeming like an effect. Yoda just doesn't hold up. It's still great, but it's not amazing work. WETA has one upped ILM. Period.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Oct 11, 2011, 06:21:29 PM
the point of effects is to seem real without seeming like an effect. Yoda just doesn't hold up. It's still great, but it's not amazing work. WETA has one upped ILM. Period.

hi guys, new here but been reading on and off over the years, not trying to cause a storm but i have to disagree with this statement, the star wars prequels are getting on a little and avatar is a pretty new movie. WETA enlisted the help of ILM for avatar so the statement that they one upped ILM is not really true, again the star wars prequels are a little old and im pretty sure ILM is more than capable of achieving anything that WETA is, im not putting WETA down btw as they are obviously very good at what they do.

edit to add) also some of the cgi work and set work in the star wars prequels is not as obvious as you might think, i was quite dumbfounded when i watched all the makings and saw that some things i thought were real were cgi and some things i thought were cgi were actually sets.... example: obi wans cloak in parts of episode 2 were cgi....

thanks

rich

m138jewski

m138jewski

I think the most convincing cg character to date is King Kong, shit just looks real. The fx in rise of the apes were a little inconsistent. Looked real at times, and not so much other times.

eyesofthedemon

I'm a practical effects fan first and foremost but some of my favourite characters are completely CG also,im inclined to think the resolution we watch most things in today doesnt help when it comes to puppets etc,back in the 80's with such films as Labyrinth,Gremlins and ET they really nailed it,but watching them in HD kind of show's the flaw's.........i'll always have my "nostalgia glasses" though

SM

SM

Quoteedit to add) also some of the cgi work and set work in the star wars prequels is not as obvious as you might think, i was quite dumbfounded when i watched all the makings and saw that some things i thought were real were cgi and some things i thought were cgi were actually sets.... example: obi wans cloak in parts of episode 2 were cgi....

Indeed.  There's a shit load of stuff in Star Wars (and many other flicks) like sets that people would never pick as being digital.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2011, 10:10:43 PM
Quoteedit to add) also some of the cgi work and set work in the star wars prequels is not as obvious as you might think, i was quite dumbfounded when i watched all the makings and saw that some things i thought were real were cgi and some things i thought were cgi were actually sets.... example: obi wans cloak in parts of episode 2 were cgi....

Indeed.  There's a shit load of stuff in Star Wars (and many other flicks) like sets that people would never pick as being digital.

agreed, to be honest, i dont think cgi was a problem on any of the sw prequels and i can understand why lucas used so much as sw is much more expansive than most sci fi/fantasy universes and would be very hard to do what he wanted without cgi, the problems were bad stories, bad continuity, bad casting, bad acting, bad scripts, bad designs and bad dialogue, the films did improve a little from 1 through to 3 but the damage was already done, ill still watch them though as im the type that will still watch any movie that contains my fave characters etc, ill probably be called for this but i can happily sit through avp and avpr just cos its got aliens and preds in lol

but anyway, ridley looks to have gone about prometheus the right way by doing it real wherever possible and just adding cgi where needed because i feel the realsim is needed more in a thriller/horror film than something like star wars.

thanks

rich

Deuterium

Quote from: Highland on Oct 11, 2011, 02:54:37 PM
Anyone who thought the Animatronic T-rex trumped the CGI one needs their eye sight tested monthly.

People are far too quick to lump CGI in with a bad movie as the reason it was bad. Fact is, Episode 3 for however shite it was, still has some amazingly good CGI.

I don't think one trumped the other.  Rather, I think that this particular film (Jurassic Park) is the "ne plus ultra" example of perfect marriage between practical (in this case, animatronic) and CGI effects.

St_Eddie

Quote from: deuterium on Oct 12, 2011, 04:02:31 AM
Quote from: Highland on Oct 11, 2011, 02:54:37 PM

I don't think one trumped the other.  Rather, I think that this particular film (Jurassic Park) is the "ne plus ultra" example of perfect marriage between practical (in this case, animatronic) and CGI effects.

I couldn't agree more.  Jurassic Park remains the perfect example of how to use a combination of practical and CGI.

Gates

Gates

Missed these...can anyone PM them my way on the hush-hush..?

Vulhala

Vulhala

They be all up on Google Images now yo!

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Gates on Oct 12, 2011, 04:07:10 PM
Missed these...can anyone PM them my way on the hush-hush..?

theres also a couple of you tube videos with them all in but im new here so dont want to link them as theyve been removed and i dont want to be breaking any rules lol.

thanks

rich

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed