5 things you liked and didn't like about the E3 Demo footage

Started by frostedone, Oct 02, 2011, 12:29:37 AM

Author
5 things you liked and didn't like about the E3 Demo footage (Read 23,664 times)

frostedone

frostedone

What are 5 things you loved about the E3 demo footage and 5 things you didn't like about it?

Keep in mind this is still an early demo build.

For me:

5 things I loved:

1. The designs of the Queen and Crusher. Those things TOWER over the powerloader.
2. The lighting system.
3. The marines' outfits look true to the film!
4. I am not a fan of iron sight aiming so firing from the hip was a VERY welcome surprise.
5. I like the environment details.

5 things I didn't care for:

1. The aliens don't seem to use tactics. They seem to be cannon fodder and run right up to you.
2. The motion tracker has red dots.
3. The xenomorphs look like wet clay.
4. Alien blood looks too green and looks like more wet clay.
5. Don't like the Pulse Rifle's iron sight.

Other:

I hope we can place turrets where ever we want to instead of just in designated areas in the final build.

I hope we get a setting where we can run all the time instead of just short bursts.

Also i am not a fan of quick time events so I hope there won't be too many of them.

Randy Pitchford looks like a HUGE fan of Aliens so I have faith that he will do it right.

NUB DESTROYER

Liked
1. Knives
2. Able to see many relics from Aliens
3. Can't use motion tracker concurrently with rifle
4. The Crusher
5. New modded Unreal engine - lighting, gloss, smoke, water, etc... effects

Disiked
1. MT differentiates ally and enemy
2. Apparently the Sentry differentiates as well
3. Friendly Fire = off (not an option I think)
4. Crosshair design
5. Voice acting shown to us so far

MrSpaceJockey

Like:
1. Queens looks appropriately biomeched and fearsome
2. Crusher isn't as stupid as I expected
3. Environment looking good and faithful
4. Aliens screwing the guy in the powerloader
5. Designs of all the marines and weapons are pretty spot on.

Disliked:
1. Crusher (if this is the first time we see it) doesn't get the most tense of introductions
2. Alien warriors still look a bit strange
3. Red dots on tracker
4. Acid seems to do very little damage and looks strange.
5. Some voiceacting thus far, and "Winters, you are a badass!"

The fact that one video shows the demo being a WIP has my hopes up for a better warrior design and fixing the strange looking textures on the acid blood.

Inverse Effect

Mostly just visual or sound related. Gameplay looks fine. And the co-op is defently a plus but are mine.

Here are the five things i didnt like

1. Pulse rifle sound
2. Sentry turret sound
3. Motion tracker red dots
4. The jaggies
5. The ironsights

And the five things i did like

1. The alien sounds
2. The motion tracker sound
3. The muzzle flash (Watch the power outage part)
4. Lighting effects
5. General look of the game

The Necronoir

I'm hoping that was a condensed, demo-only segment they put together, because the pacing was all over the place. Where were those down times that were supposed to ramp up the tension. What we saw here amounted to 'linear pathway with dialogue > scripted alien attack > wave of AI alien attacks > repeat'. It just didn't stick to any one thing long enough for me to get engrossed in it, and doesn't bode well for replayability either.

King Rathalos

Liked

1. Aliens design (warriors, crusher, queen they all looked awesome)
2. Lighting
3. Lack of a HUD.
4. Co-op
5. Gore

Didn't like

1. Pulse Rifle sound probably (is :P) a place holder for now.
2. Looked scripted (again for now, since this just looked like some scenes thrown together)
3. Acid blood didn't seem to do a lot (if any) of damage.
4. Some voice acting was pretty lame.
5. Didn't seem to show more of the slower paced survival horror side of the game.

War Wager

Yay

Atmosphere
Music
SFX
Lighting
SOME of the dialogue

Nay

Voice acting
No apparent acid damage
Aliens don't move fluidly enough
Too scripted
Most of the dialogue

Overall it's lookin' like a fun ride, but I aint throwing my cash at Gearbox just yet.

Nutlink

Didn't Like:

1)  Aliens crawling on all fours all the time
2)  Pulse Rifle iron sights don't look right
3)  IFF on the motion tracker (including red dots, wtf)
4)  Seems overly scripted, limiting replayability
5)  A lot of "Winters, you're awesome!" similar to how everyone was obsessed with Rookie in AvP, making it feel less like a team of organized killers and more like a bunch of peons looking up to their demi-god.

Liked

1)  Other than movement and the tail, the aliens look really good
2)  Marines look really good
3)  Coop
4)  NO PREDATORS!
5)  IT'S ALIENS!

On the dislike side there's plenty more, like melee (seeing when Player 2 joins), the way Winters knocks that alien around before flipping the damn shotgun in his hands to kill it rather than actually even appearing to be in trouble, 50 round pulse rifles, and an extremely narrow view.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Didn't like:

1. Heavily scripted. The demo might have been purely a cutscene mash-up made for showing off, but it still may be indicative to an extent of the final game.
2. Lack of tactical freedom, and player dynamics are restricted.
3. Red dots on the motion tracker - kiss an integral element of suspense goodbye with that.
4. Voice acting and dialogue was downright bad, even corny in some parts.
5. Regular Aliens don't seem to be as aggressive to the player as they are to everyone else, which kills the immersion for the player and also the intimidation factor of the aliens.

Liked:

1. Level design and lighting is superb.
2. Marines and all the Aliens look great.
3. Co-op.
2. The look of the ironsights might just take getting used to, especially on an iconic weapon like the PR. I'm just happy this game has ironsights though.
1. Generally the game is the most true to the film so far.

Space Sweeper

Liked:

-"He's alright..."
-The lighting, ESPECIALLY when the red backup comes on; that whole 'scene' was brilliant.
-The landscapes.
-The alien movement/navigation.
-The Powerloader with makeshift weapons. Best part for me. You could literally see how the pilot was like "OH SHIT, THIS WAS A BAD, BAD IDEA" as he desperately and sloppily tried to balance the attatched pulse rifle and flamethrower fire at everything he possibly could. And the animation as the xenos took it down? Oh so good.

Disliked:

-Zero tensity in the cutscenes; the focus on the without the humans aware aliens is a MAJOR no-no, and they should know that.
-Overzealous on the human blood; also, didn't like how any of the blood looked, then again, not many games do blood well at all.
-Crusher reveal; no tension at all.
-Repetitive xeno attack animation on NPCs that just stand in one place shooting and xenos just stand there, getting shot, clawing
-I would say too scripted, but everybody remember: this was a DEMO. Demos always look linear and like a series of pre-set events because they have to maintain a certain amount of order (unless it's trying to showcase multi-options); same with the low difficulty/invincibility. If you want to see the player die, you're in the minority.

OmegaZilla

Likey
-HOLY f**kc**tSHIT, THE QUEEN. Pure cosmic terror;
-How the Aliens took down the Power-Loader. They just got it right;
-Atmosphere, lighting and environments;
-References to Aliens, such as the map screen;
-The Aliens' corpses remain here when they are killed, they don't disappear.

No Likey
-Crusher reveal. Doesn't really feel appropriate, would've liked something more effective. We just cut to it snarling;
-The Alien the Marine stopped by putting the rifle in front of him was damn stupid. In general, the Aliens don't seem to be really smart;
-Repetitive Alien attack and death animations;
-Red dots on the tracker. Having them all light-blue like in the film would've worked better and made the game more difficult and less predictable;
-No apparent acid blood damage.

AJL

Much too early to say much... But there were couple of small things bugging me a little:

1. Motion Tracker display color scheme, (Why not the same colors as in the movie ??)

2. Pulse Rifle Iron Sights, (While I think its good to have the aim down sights function,
Why did they have to slap those stupid additional sights on top of the pulse rifle ? Why
didn't they just make it so you aim down the groove on top of the weapon ??

NUB DESTROYER

I might've been too drunk when I viewed the footage but certainly I'm in no shape now to carefully view it...  but can someone point out when in the footage does it show the iron sight view?

Glaive

Floaty guns...we might as well of been carrying a helium balloon.

The Xenoborg

Spoiler
1. The atmosphere, the look, the graphics, everything is visually polished.
2. The grand entrance of the Queen, the power loader being taken down.
3. The entrance of Player 2. (How he air-punches at the player :laugh:)
4. The subtle nods to the movie. (If Randy's commentary is ignored, that is)
5. Marines being slaughtered.
[close]

Spoiler
1. The fact that Human-Players would pop up anywhere, when they join, instead of taking control of existing Marines.
2. The Crusher's dramatic yet boring entrance with unfitting music.
3. The migration to third person, whenever we deploy a sentry gun.
4. No animation to pick up guns. Also, after a cutscene, the player's hands (holding a gun) just spontaneously appear.
5. The painfully bright colors of blood. (See what I did there? :D); Poor AI (Possibly worse than AvP2010?) because the marines stand there and shoot (while being clawed) and Aliens stand there and slap marines (while being shot at).
[close]

Bottom-line: The game seems acceptable, but not remarkable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed