A L I E N & PROMETHEUS..The 'Awe'

Started by ThisBethesdaSea, Sep 26, 2011, 03:52:40 PM

Author
A L I E N & PROMETHEUS..The 'Awe' (Read 9,378 times)

Glaive

Glaive

Both TRUE and FALSE...It would vary widely with the age of the person at that time.
Young kids had plenty of books that used a vast array of 'other' words.

Robot was just a general 'catch-all'...even ''The Six Million Dollar Man'' (look it up) was considered a 'robot' by some.

ThisBethesdaSea

'little person' meaning not a corporate lackey, some one who's at the bottom of the rank.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Glaive on Sep 29, 2011, 04:14:51 PM
Both TRUE and FALSE...It would vary widely with the age of the person at that time.

Robot was just a general 'catch-all'...even ''The Six Million Dollar Man'' (look it up) was considered a 'robot' by some.

Well there were the episodes "Day of the Robot" and "The Return of the Robot Maker" which featured robots disguised as humans, and in the latter, Oscar Goldman's robot double gets beheaded by Steve Austin.

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Sep 29, 2011, 09:18:55 PM
Quote from: Glaive on Sep 29, 2011, 04:14:51 PM

Well there were the episodes "Day of the Robot" and "The Return of the Robot Maker" which featured robots disguised as humans, and in the latter, Oscar Goldman's robot double gets beheaded by Steve Austin.

Obvious foreshadowing...

SM

SM

"Ets a robot!  Esh is a fookin' robot!"

"U mad, bro?"

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Glaive on Sep 29, 2011, 09:52:55 PM
Obvious foreshadowing...

I think that it shows just what sort of writers Giler and Hill are, how unoriginal it was at the time, how well known it was, even children were likely to have that toy android Maskatron in their toy cupboard at the time and how it would give more reasons for O'Bannon to complain. But it is interesting to track the development of the ideas from Westworld and through to the two episodes of the Six Million Dollar Man and well the Oscar Goldman robot has certain similar functions to Ridleys statements about Ash, in the way it could transmit everything it took in. It's very interesting to me to see all this.

Another thing to note, Steve Austin was able to tell the real Oscar Goldman apart from the robot version because, as he mentions, robots don't sweat. Giler and Hill perhaps managed to take that to another level by making Ash sweat

Glaive

Glaive

Unfortunately Ash sweated milk...and Ian Holm is lactose-intollerant... :laugh:

Gash

Gash

Quote from: SM on Sep 30, 2011, 12:42:02 AM

Parker comes from Middlesborough?

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Gash on Sep 30, 2011, 09:04:58 PM

Sounds more Cape Town/ Johannesburgian to me...
Is this some weird 'District 9' cross-over?

SM

SM

Do they talk like Seth Efricans in Middlesborough?

Gash

Gash

Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2011, 10:14:37 PM

The South African ones do.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2011, 10:14:37 PM

If this were true I would have met him, mind you I breifly met Sir Riddles before Alien and he doesn't, but he lived close enough  ;D

RICH-ENGLAND

hi guys,

alien at its core is a slasher/horror film set in a sci fi environment, the thing that sets it apart from most movies of the slasher/horror type is the characters are believable and portray a real sense of fear, they also dont make all the silly cliched mistakes that protagonists do in those other type films like as in "oh, ill just run upstairs and lock myself in a bathroom with a small window where theres no chance of escape".

so what i feel sets it apart is the realism, characters react and do things as i would expect in the real world which gives the movie a real fear factor, also the alien character was basically turned into dumb cannon fodder in aliens whereas it was portrayed as very smart, cunning and almost invincible in alien.

thanks

rich

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Oct 12, 2011, 12:12:21 AM
hi guys,

alien at its core is a slasher/horror film set in a sci fi environment, the thing that sets it apart from most movies of the slasher/horror type is the characters are believable and portray a real sense of fear, they also dont make all the silly cliched mistakes that protagonists do in those other type films like as in "oh, ill just run upstairs and lock myself in a bathroom with a small window where theres no chance of escape".

so what i feel sets it apart is the realism, characters react and do things as i would expect in the real world which gives the movie a real fear factor, also the alien character was basically turned into dumb cannon fodder in aliens whereas it was portrayed as very smart, cunning and almost invincible in alien.

thanks

rich

I agree but I must say that I do find The Shining to be a scary film despite the protagonist deciding that the best course of action is to think along the lines of "oh, ill just run upstairs and lock myself in a bathroom with a small window where theres no chance of escape".

RICH-ENGLAND

hahaha, good point, the shining is awesome, but then isnt it set out in the snow in the middle of nowhere?.

thanks

rich

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed