Quote from: First Blood on Jul 21, 2014, 09:09:30 PM
Half this website is his following.

;D

Aspie

Aspie

holy shhheeeiiit I forgot I have season 2 of that recorded

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Been catching up on the show; currently halfway through the 12th episode of season 2. Eh, I feel it's starting to lose my interest. The performances are all great (Michael Pitt excepted; goddamn, what horrid hamminess), and it's one of the best-looking shows currently on TV (this was robbed a cinematography nomination), but the storyline has lost its way. It just feels very jumbled and all over the place, with little focus or direction. Few of the characters are behaving in any consistent or sensible manner, just leaving me confused as to their motivations and desires. Maybe the last couple episodes will make the whole season make more sense and elevate its quality, but as it's going right now, I may not bother with the third season after this.

Also, I feel they have devalued the serial killer with the sheer volume of bizarre and, frankly, ridiculous killers that have been present on the show. I keep cracking up when they reveal the M.O. of the latest killer-of-the-week. It's too much. If they ever get around to Silence of the Lambs Buffalo Bill is gonna have a tough time making an impression, simply because he's rather mundane compared to what we've already seen.

Aspie

Aspie

MOAR PRAISE FROM THE T.V. GODS

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 21, 2014, 09:27:33 PM
Been catching up on the show; currently halfway through the 12th episode of season 2. Eh, I feel it's starting to lose my interest. The performances are all great (Michael Pitt excepted; goddamn, what horrid hamminess), and it's one of the best-looking shows currently on TV (this was robbed a cinematography nomination), but the storyline has lost its way. It just feels very jumbled and all over the place, with little focus or direction. Few of the characters are behaving in any consistent or sensible manner, just leaving me confused as to their motivations and desires. Maybe the last couple episodes will make the whole season make more sense and elevate its quality, but as it's going right now, I may not bother with the third season after this.

Also, I feel they have devalued the serial killer with the sheer volume of bizarre and, frankly, ridiculous killers that have been present on the show. I keep cracking up when they reveal the M.O. of the latest killer-of-the-week. It's too much. If they ever get around to Silence of the Lambs Buffalo Bill is gonna have a tough time making an impression, simply because he's rather mundane compared to what we've already seen.

Aspie, bring out the gif.

First Blood

First Blood

The gif is asleep.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: First Blood on Jul 21, 2014, 09:49:41 PM
The gif is asleep.

Then wake it up

BANE

BANE

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 21, 2014, 09:27:33 PM

Fair enough.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Watched the final episode.

Okay, now that was fantastic television. Absolutely stellar. Beautifully shot, perfectly acted, and highly emotional in great ways. If only the path to get here hadn't be so muddied and convoluted, this show could easily be among my favourites.

I truly believe that this show needs to learn the lesson of "less is more", for if there'd been fewer killers, fewer circuitous subplots, and more realism in the methods of the various murders, this could be a truly fantastic television series. But, alas, it is currently a case of so close, but so far.

I hope that they take a more subtle and grounded approach from now on, but I doubt that will happen.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

"realism... subtle and grounded"

No need for that shiz.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

When I'm literally laughing at what the "Killer of the Week" has done this time around, yeah, it's time to tone it down a bit.

The only killer that really got to me was Hobbes, and that's because he was, *gasp!*, realistic and grounded! He seemed like a real killer who could actually exist, and that made him all the more creepier. The f**king beehive skull, a dead person sewed into a horse, a mechanical suit made of fossils, a tree growing through the corpse of a man? It's too much.

Really, I wish they'd narrow the scope on the show. Focus more on the core plotline. The side killers have almost uniformly been laughably over-the-top, and served only to convolute the storyline. Easily the weakest aspect of the show, and this is a complaint I have going back to the first season. The only truly compelling side-killers there've been so far are Hobbes and Eddie Izzard.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I don't see anything funny about the killers, but fair enough, I suppose. I just dislike the need for everything to be "grounded" nowadays.

First Blood

First Blood

I dunno stuff like this feels right at home in the Hannibal mythology. The shit Harris cooped up in his novels is on par with what they've shown here.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 21, 2014, 11:14:59 PM
I don't see anything funny about the killers, but fair enough, I suppose. I just dislike the need for everything to be "grounded" nowadays.

Not everything has to be, but this is a show that could be greatly improved by just dialling it down a bit. This last episode was absolutely fantastic, and that's because it didn't try and make everything as overblown as it could. Gore was used effectively and there was a good focus put on the core characters.

I also feel that Hannibal has been made too smart and infallible. He's like a goddamn supervillain, and the FBI just looks like a bunch of bumbling, incompetent fools as a result.

Quote from: First Blood on Jul 21, 2014, 11:16:50 PM
I dunno stuff like this feels right at home in the Hannibal mythology. The shit Harris cooped up in his novels is on par with what they've shown here.

I haven't read Hannibal (I've heard it was pretty awful), but there was nothing approaching the levels of Eye-Made-of-Bodies-Man or 40-Foot-Effigy-On-a-Beach-Dude in Red Dragon or The Silence of the Lambs. The killers there felt like actual people who could really exist, which is why they were so goddamn effective and chilling.

What's been shown in the show, though, blows suspension of disbelief sky-high.

I'm not saying the show it horrible, or that I hate it. I still quite liked it. But it could be much better.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed