Female Predators, and some things about them I want to address *pretty long*

Started by DUB1, Jun 25, 2011, 11:12:24 AM

Author
Female Predators, and some things about them I want to address *pretty long* (Read 18,273 times)

S.E.B.

S.E.B.

I always imagined the Predators to be somewhat "reptilian", and the individuals of some species of reptile change their sexes as a part of their life cycle. Personally I find that fitting for the Predators.

In the case of Predators though the insemination of the egg(s) is more similar to fish, i.e. the Predator who is in a reproductive female cycle, will deposit a cluster of roe-like eggs in a body of water, which will be fertilized by a Predator who's in its male reproductive cycle. Once inseminated the most dominant and fastest growing embryo(s) of the egg-cluster will absorb and cannibalize and thereby "feed" on the uninseminated eggs and the smaller embryos of its batch.

I almost picture the traditional way of Predators reproduction to occur in masses of water, literally breeding their kin in spawning pools where only one offspring crawls out of it, after killing and feeding on the "lesser" ones (this might culturally differ from clan to clan, as some clans might stop the dominant offspring, put it in a different spawning pool so that the "lesser ones" can be saved for whatever reason).

Predators that are in their reproductive cycles (male or female - doesn't matter) will be solely focused on guarding the spawning pool until the offspring has grown out of its hatchling and "tadpole" phase.

Once a Predator ends its reproductive cycle, it becomes "asexual" with zero interest in reproducing or taking care of the young. The "asexual" state is the default state whereas the female and male states are few and far between. In other words: We've only seen Predators in their "asexual" states as the so called males and females probably find a safe and secluded place to nest for their young.

With that said, modern-day Predators probably utilize vats in labs rather than spawning pools to breed, and I could easily see how they go invitro, i.e. the Predators sample and freeze their eggs and sperm for the future while artificially thwarting their reproduction cycles (no matter if it's male or female) with the help of drugs or by medical means.

In that sense, there are no males or females the way we think of it, and thus all Predators look masculine as their bodies vary from bulky hulk (Celtic & Chopper) to athletic lean (Wolf & Falconer) and everything in-between, including body types that humans might interpret as somewhat "feminine", albeit in an amazonian buff way, due to slightly broader hips, or slightly thinner waists, or more slightly more chesty torsos. Whether those types are individual body attributes or a signifier of what tribe the Predator might hail from, is anyone's guess.

I just really don't like the Predators to become too similar to humans as that kills the mystery. Like, I really don't like the Klingonification of the species that many of the 90s Predator and AvP comics went for. Human female boobs and straight-up human female curves just seem very lazy, cheap and fetischizing to me, like, a way to please horny boys.

Wweyland

Quote from: S.E.B. on Mar 04, 2023, 12:55:07 AMI always imagined the Predators to be somewhat "reptilian", and the individuals of some species of reptile change their sexes as a part of their life cycle. Personally I find that fitting for the Predators.

In the case of Predators though the insemination of the egg(s) is more similar to fish, i.e. the Predator who is in a reproductive female cycle, will deposit a cluster of roe-like eggs in a body of water, which will be fertilized by a Predator who's in its male reproductive cycle. Once inseminated the most dominant and fastest growing embryo(s) of the egg-cluster will absorb and cannibalize and thereby "feed" on the uninseminated eggs and the smaller embryos of its batch.

I almost picture the traditional way of Predators reproduction to occur in masses of water, literally breeding their kin in spawning pools where only one offspring crawls out of it, after killing and feeding on the "lesser" ones (this might culturally differ from clan to clan, as some clans might stop the dominant offspring, put it in a different spawning pool so that the "lesser ones" can be saved for whatever reason).

Predators that are in their reproductive cycles (male or female - doesn't matter) will be solely focused on guarding the spawning pool until the offspring has grown out of its hatchling and "tadpole" phase.

Once a Predator ends its reproductive cycle, it becomes "asexual" with zero interest in reproducing or taking care of the young. The "asexual" state is the default state whereas the female and male states are few and far between. In other words: We've only seen Predators in their "asexual" states as the so called males and females probably find a safe and secluded place to nest for their young.

With that said, modern-day Predators probably utilize vats in labs rather than spawning pools to breed, and I could easily see how they go invitro, i.e. the Predators sample and freeze their eggs and sperm for the future while artificially thwarting their reproduction cycles (no matter if it's male or female) with the help of drugs or by medical means.

In that sense, there are no males or females the way we think of it, and thus all Predators look masculine as their bodies vary from bulky hulk (Celtic & Chopper) to athletic lean (Wolf & Falconer) and everything in-between, including body types that humans might interpret as somewhat "feminine", albeit in an amazonian buff way, due to slightly broader hips, or slightly thinner waists, or more slightly more chesty torsos. Whether those types are individual body attributes or a signifier of what tribe the Predator might hail from, is anyone's guess.

I just really don't like the Predators to become too similar to humans as that kills the mystery. Like, I really don't like the Klingonification of the species that many of the 90s Predator and AvP comics went for. Human female boobs and straight-up human female curves just seem very lazy, cheap and fetischizing to me, like, a way to please horny boys.

I largely agree with you.
However, what you describe, is pretty much what we got in Predator: Forever Midnight, with the Hish-qu-Ten. Spawning pools with "eggs", asexuality, no feminine parts, etc.
The book was so awful (for many different reasons) and everyone has strayed far away from that, and opted for a more safe "Predators with breasts" approach.

S.E.B.

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 04, 2023, 10:56:06 PM
Quote from: S.E.B. on Mar 04, 2023, 12:55:07 AMI always imagined the Predators to be somewhat "reptilian", and the individuals of some species of reptile change their sexes as a part of their life cycle. Personally I find that fitting for the Predators.

I largely agree with you.
However, what you describe, is pretty much what we got in Predator: Forever Midnight, with the Hish-qu-Ten. Spawning pools with "eggs", asexuality, no feminine parts, etc.
The book was so awful (for many different reasons) and everyone has strayed far away from that, and opted for a more safe "Predators with breasts" approach.

That's too bad :/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed