The 'last thing you bought' thread

Started by Effectz, Jun 17, 2011, 04:32:20 PM

Author
The 'last thing you bought' thread (Read 391,401 times)

Corporal Hicks

You're really going for it now!

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 27, 2017, 09:54:41 AM
Picked up three issues of a mystery Aliens magazine from late 1997/early 1998 the Bulletin put me onto.

Never come across this publication before, but it seems as though it might have been an attempt at relaunching the excellent Aliens magazine published in Britain by Dark Horse earlier in the decade. If so it obviously didn't work, because it was cancelled after just these three issues lol. Hoping I can learn more once they actually arrive.

First two contain the Resurrection comic adaptation, the third Berserker and Mondo Pest (I assume incomplete with the cancellation). Rather excited for more (potential) Aliens magazine!

I've seen these on eBay just never got around to picking them up yet :)

It was my birthday on the 2nd of January so treated myself to two books.  Aliens the set photography and the Alien archive books.

N-Shifter

Got this shipped over from the US, this issue is all about the special effects and behind the scenes of "Blade Runner 2049" and "Dunkirk".

KiramidHead

The Synapse blu-ray of Suspiria should be arriving in the mail today, and The Pacific is arriving tomorrow.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The first four solo albums by Ozzy Osbourne.

I borrowed most of Ozzy's stuff off a mate at school, but lost it all a few years back when the computer I ripped them to died. It's about time I started picking them up again.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jan 09, 2018, 02:43:39 PM
It was my birthday on the 2nd of January so treated myself to two books.  Aliens the set photography and the Alien archive books.

I think I said it on Facebook but happy birthday! How're you enjoying the new goodies?

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 09, 2018, 08:36:33 PM
The first four solo albums by Ozzy Osbourne.

I borrowed most of Ozzy's stuff off a mate at school, but lost it all a few years back when the computer I ripped them to died. It's about time I started picking them up again.

Which versions of Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman did you get?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The 2011 editions. So the original drum and bass tracks, but a pretty shitty remaster. Already considering trading them out for the 1995 versions (the ones with the mini album art surrounded by a big pointless border and OZZY in giant type on the front), which by all accounts sound much, much better. As it is I already had to track down the 1995 edition of Bark at the Moon on eBay to avoid the unadvertised remix on the 2002 remaster, and of course The Ultimate Sin is a '95 issue as well because it's seemingly been deleted from his catalogue since then.

God damn, Ozzy, quit f*cking up your own shit lol.

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jan 09, 2018, 02:43:39 PMI've seen these on eBay just never got around to picking them up yet :)

They're nothing like as good as the old Dark Horse International issues, although they're incredibly similar in format. I mostly got them out of curiosity.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 10, 2018, 08:33:41 AM
Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jan 09, 2018, 02:43:39 PM

I think I said it on Facebook but happy birthday! How're you enjoying the new goodies?

You did mate,  thanks  :)  Not read them yet just flicked through.  Going to sit and take a proper look when I get chance.  Just picked up The Weyland Yutani report as well.  Look forward to reading them.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 10, 2018, 01:53:35 PM
They're nothing like as good as the old Dark Horse International issues, although they're incredibly similar in format. I mostly got them out of curiosity.

Been curious about them myself as they pop up on eBay from time to time and I never really took a gamble on buying one just to see what they are like.  I'll have to pick them up in the future to add to the collection   :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jan 10, 2018, 04:06:36 PMBeen curious about them myself as they pop up on eBay from time to time and I never really took a gamble on buying one just to see what they are like.  I'll have to pick them up in the future to add to the collection   :)

It's quite funny how they were obviously in financial trouble right from the start - the second issue has this big piece at the back advertising how the next one will have exclusive interviews with Jeunet and Giger, then the third issue itself (the last one released) immediately starts with, "Yeah, sorry, we don't have that." :laugh:

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 10, 2018, 04:26:56 PM
It's quite funny how they were obviously in financial trouble right from the start - the second issue has this big piece at the back advertising how the next one will have exclusive interviews with Jeunet and Giger, then the third issue itself (the last one released) immediately starts with, "Yeah, sorry, we don't have that." :laugh:

lol, would you recommend getting them just to add to the collection?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

There are a few interviews in the first couple of issues (that I've not read yet), but otherwise there isn't much in it you wouldn't already have if you owned the comics.

Like I said before, it's interesting, but nothing like as good (or collectable) as the Dark Horse magazine. I don't think I could recommend buying it for the content, but if you want it for completeness sake or out of curiosity then it's worth a look.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 10, 2018, 01:53:35 PM
The 2011 editions. So the original drum and bass tracks, but a pretty shitty remaster. Already considering trading them out for the 1995 versions (the ones with the mini album art surrounded by a big pointless border and OZZY in giant type on the front), which by all accounts sound much, much better. As it is I already had to track down the 1995 edition of Bark at the Moon on eBay to avoid the unadvertised remix on the 2002 remaster, and of course The Ultimate Sin is a '95 issue as well because it's seemingly been deleted from his catalogue since then.

God damn, Ozzy, quit f*cking up your own shit lol.

I think its more Sharon f***ing about with it, because she doesn't want to give credit or money to Phil Soussan who co-wrote Shot in the Dark. I got the '95 edition of Ultimate sin for the same reason. Well if you don't want those two and our going after the border versions ill have them lol

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Sure, I'll let you know if/when I replace them and I'll send them over. Even if the mix isn't the best, Blizzard at least has a few interesting bonus tracks that aren't on the earlier edition.

Corporal Hicks

Some Pokemon themed karuta cards to help with the Japanese lessons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed