The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 471,082 times)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 06:05:12 PM
Not surprising really. He makes some good points:

'Game of Thrones' star Conleth Hill was 'frustrated' with final two seasons
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/amphtml/game-of-thrones-star-conleth-hill-was-frustrated-with-final-two-seasons-111331708.html

Hill: "As for his feelings on his [character's] exit, he said: "Mixed, obviously. Part of you didn't want it to finish. Part of you is, 'Oh, that's very good.' And part of you is, 'Oh, that sucks.' Very, very mixed. Bittersweet. I think it's really good in retrospect now that I've had the time for it to sink in."

Always good to see an actor express bitterness then come to realize the series was not all about his character, all in one comment.

Some actors can be quite vain and think they are the center of the thespian universe. Countless examples.....Halle Berry whined her role as Storm was not more a central figure in X-Men.

Michelle Rodriguez was so bitter her character was killed off in Avatar, she revealed that spoiler in an interview before the movie was released. She was apparently sick of her characters being killed off in a number of movies and threatened to continue revealing those spoilers if writers continue to kill off her characters.

Iris Elba whined that he had to return to Star Trek Beyond to reshoot a scene after he had played Nelson Mandela in another movie. "I was f****n Nelson Mandela! Now here I am in harness playing an alien again," whined Iris.

Jeez, get over yourselves.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 14, 2019, 06:02:39 PM
Getting away from season eight for a while, what would you guys prefer the planed prequels\spin-offs etc are about?

To be honest The Long Night is exactly what I'd want from a prequel, so regardless of how Thrones finishes, I'm already looking forward to that.

It's far enough in the past to disconnect it from what we see in the present. A big issue with prequels, generally, is that we know how things turn out, so robs the dramatic tension. This is going for more of a Knights of the Old Republic approach, which IMO is the best way to do a prequel.

Also, the lore of the ancient history of Westeros is my favourite part of Martin's fantasy. All the prophecy, mythology, mystery and supernatural stuff. It draws parallels to the early days of civilisation and even our species in general, in which we started to spread uncontrollably, dominate the environment and kill off or subsume the other hominins we found there. And goddamnit, I want my packs of ice spiders big as hounds.

Last reason, the Neolithic, Bronze and Iron Ages are my favourite part of real-world history. I live near Stonehenge, so remnants of that period are dotted all over the landscape near me. Looks like the show will represent a culture that's analogous to the tail end of that period, so I'd love to see something like that done properly.

LastSonofKrypton

The positive of season 8 is that the cast have been excellent as always, they've done a great job especially given with what they've had to work with

Voodoo Magic

Hill was on point with this:

"I think they tried to make that work and couldn't. It just felt like after season six, I kind of dropped off the edge," Hill said.

"I can't complain because it's six great seasons and I had some great scenes these last two seasons. But that's when it changed for me a little.

"I was very bummed to not have a final scene with [Littlefinger]. I was bummed not to have any reaction to him dying, if he was my nemesis.

"Last season and this season there were great scenes and then I'd come in and kind of give a weather report at the end of them — 'film at 11.'

"So I thought he was losing his knowledge. If he was such an intelligent man and he had such resources, how come he didn't know about things? That added to my dismay. It's now being rectified with getting a great and noble ending. But that was frustrating for a couple seasons."

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 14, 2019, 07:03:05 PM
The positive of season 8 is that the cast have been excellent as always, they've done a great job especially given with what they've had to work with

Indoubididly brother!

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Agreed, the acting was excellent as usual. As was the soundtrack,the visuals and the direction.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 14, 2019, 07:10:34 PM

Agreed, the acting was excellent as usual. As was the soundtrack,the visuals and the direction.

They deserved a better ending, all this negativity because of the writing and yet the cast and crew have been excellent throughout...

minus a coffee cup here and there

Biomechanoid

Spoiler
Hill: "At the time, nothing could console me. I kept thinking: "What did I do wrong?" There wasn't any pre-warning. All these famous stories about [actors on Thrones] being taken out for a meal or being phoned at the very least [to notify them that their character was being killed off]. This was just reading cold hard copy."
[close]

Essentially he's complaining other actors got a free meal for their exit and he didn't. You would think an actor with a 30 year career would know by now that studios/writers generally don't cater to actors' egos.

Spoiler
I'm in the minority that liked episode 5. So I watched it again this morning. I'm liking it less. This time around, Cersi's death was unsettling, abrupt. I suppose one could argue it's poetic justice. "The walls come tumbling down on the corrupt." I just found it unsatisfactory the second time around.
[close]

Local Trouble

I wonder if...

Spoiler
Ellaria Sand is still alive in the Black Cells watching her daughter rot.
[close]

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quite possible. I have lost every sense of how much time passed between the events back then.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 14, 2019, 11:13:00 AM
Robert is the true victim of Game of Thrones. Lyanna left him for an elf, but made it seem like she was kidnapped

I don't claim perfect knowledge on this, but didn't Robert more or less invent that narrative himself from not being able to accept that the woman he loved, loved Rhaegar and not him? So, if she was 'kidnapped' instead, Robert's pride was intact (and so was Lyanna's honor) and he had an alibi for waging war on the Targaryens. I honestly can't remember the exact story and it's been years since I read the books.

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 14, 2019, 06:02:39 PM
Getting away from season eight for a while, what would you guys prefer the planed prequels\spin-offs etc to be about?

A prequel storyline needs to be set so far back in the past that we, the audience, have no idea how it evolves despite knowing everything that happens in A Song Of Ice And Fire. Seems like we are getting exactly that. I don't want another SW prequels, The Hobbit ect. where the dramatic tension is almost non-existent.

As for other GoT spin-offs/sequels, I'd prefer if HBO simply focuses on one thing at a time and one thing only, namely the above.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 14, 2019, 07:41:58 PM
I wonder if...

Spoiler
Ellaria Sand is still alive in the Black Cells watching her daughter rot.
[close]

Spoiler
Nope. Ellaria is dead. She ceased to exist when Thanos snapped his finger.

Joke aside, if she wasn't killed by the crumbling walls, she could at least find solace by speculating that her murderer was crushed by the the crumbling kingdom.....and though she may never know, her speculation would be correct.
[close]

Eva

Eva

I think we witnessed the entire foundation of the Red Keep collapse
Spoiler
upon Cersei and Jamie. There's just no way that Ellaria Sand makes it out of this alive. That fortress is now a huge pile of rocks and ash.
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Eva on May 14, 2019, 08:20:35 PM
Spoiler
I think we witnessed the entire foundation of the Red Keep collapse upon Cersei and Jamie. That fortress is now a huge pile of rocks and ash.
[close]

Um, that's a pretty huge uncovered spoiler, especially for a show that is currently airing. You might want to edit and add the spoiler tags.

Local Trouble

At least the fusion reactor didn't explode as fusion reactors tend to do...

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 14, 2019, 08:54:02 PM
At least the fusion reactor didn't explode as fusion reactors tend to do...

That goes without saying!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed