The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 470,998 times)

LastSonofKrypton

Robert is the true victim of Game of Thrones.

Lyanna left him for an elf, but made it seem like she was kidnapped.  Bobby B then went on a rampage, smited the demon elf, and then John Arryn suggested Cruella DeVille for a wife.  Then village idiot Ned kept the truth about the demon elf and Lyanna a secret, and then explained all of his plans to Cruella.  Bobby B dies, Ned deservedly dies and the medieval equivalent of the Youtube comment section gets the Throne. 

Damn you Ned Stark!!!!

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 14, 2019, 06:19:50 AM
Spoiler
The execution of this season has been horrendous, everything has been rushed for no apparent reason. 

The formidable Night King was pointless.

The formidable Golden Company was pointless

Jamie's arc was ruined

Arya's arc was ruined

Jon Snow was ruined completely

Bronn has been removed completely
[close]

Spoiler
Showrunners apparently forgot Yara existed after the first episode.

Oh, and there's a new Prince of Dorne. Not that it matters.

In fact, they kind of forgot about the Seven Kingdoms, because in the show there's no more than Winterfell and King's Landing at this point.
[close]

Vertigo

Vertigo

S8E5 spoilers

Quote from: Eva on May 14, 2019, 08:08:58 AM
As for viewers claiming that Dany's character arc turn came out of nowhere and ruins the show - remember Dany's vision in season 2?

This was foreshadowed since the start.

That scene just foreshadows a dragon attack on the Red Keep, which was always basically inevitable if a dragon-riding conqueror arrived in the Seven Kingdoms. Hell, it was Daenerys' original plan upon arriving on the continent, and things would probably have gone a lot more smoothly if she'd done that instead of listening to Tyrion. It doesn't indicate that she would slaughter the civilian population after the battle is won.

The scene also points towards the Walkers/Others reaching King's Landing, and it would be a hell of a twist if that still happens in the final episode.
(Some people have been saying that's ash, not snow, but they're wrong because there are icicles near the base of the pillars.)

I won't argue that there wasn't a light sprinkling of hints that could indicate Dany's eventual heel turn. And I accept that they needed to rush the turn due to the accelerated pace of this last season.

But I f**king wish they hadn't. She's the goddamn breaker of chains - standing up for the innocent and downtrodden is the driving force behind her Slavers' Bay arc. She held off attacking King's Landing due to a need to avoid civilian slaughter, and even suspended her campaign for the greater good. This is a big part of why she's such a beloved character, but these traits have essentially evaporated. In the penultimate episode, Daenerys has suddenly become the series' biggest villain.

Moreover, I really don't like that this sates all the misogynists who have been talking about how much they hate Daenerys for being "bratty and bitchy" for years. Also leaves a bitter taste in the mouth that the story's only two queens are temperamental and mad, and apparently the realm just needs the cool level-headed man Jon Snow to be the rightful king.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Vertigo on May 14, 2019, 11:26:44 AM
S8E5 spoilers
And I accept that they needed to rush the turn due to the accelerated pace of this last season.
[close]

But they didn't have to rush it, D&D imposed a time limit on themselves for some reason. HBO said they would have been happy to give them a full 10 episode season (and I can only assume that goes for last season as well).

LastSonofKrypton

S8E5 spoilers

Quote from: Eva on May 14, 2019, 08:08:58 AM
As for viewers claiming that Dany's character arc turn came out of nowhere and ruins the show - remember Dany's vision in season 2?

This was foreshadowed since the start.

That scene just foreshadows a dragon attack on the Red Keep, which was always basically inevitable if a dragon-riding conqueror arrived in the Seven Kingdoms. Hell, it was Daenerys' original plan upon arriving on the continent, and things would probably have gone a lot more smoothly if she'd done that instead of listening to Tyrion. It doesn't indicate that she would slaughter the civilian population after the battle is won.

The scene also points towards the Walkers/Others reaching King's Landing, and it would be a hell of a twist if that still happens in the final episode.
(Some people have been saying that's ash, not snow, but they're wrong because there are icicles near the base of the pillars.)

I won't argue that there wasn't a light sprinkling of hints that could indicate Dany's eventual heel turn. And I accept that they needed to rush the turn due to the accelerated pace of this last season.

But I f**king wish they hadn't. She's the goddamn breaker of chains - standing up for the innocent and downtrodden is the driving force behind her Slavers' Bay arc. She held off attacking King's Landing due to a need to avoid civilian slaughter, and even suspended her campaign for the greater good. This is a big part of why she's such a beloved character, but these traits have essentially evaporated. In the penultimate episode, Daenerys has suddenly become the series' biggest villain.

Moreover, I really don't like that this sates all the misogynists who have been talking about how much they hate Daenerys for being "bratty and bitchy" for years. Also leaves a bitter taste in the mouth that the story's only two queens are temperamental and mad, and apparently the realm just needs the cool level-headed man Jon Snow to be the rightful king.
[close]

Spoiler
I've never liked Daenarys, I found her to be a little entitled at times, and foolish, but that doesn't mean she isn't a good character.  She had depth, she had flaws, as well as strengths.  Now she's been ruined for shock value.  The forced conflict between her and Sansa has been infuriating. 
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Shasvre on May 14, 2019, 11:31:26 AM
S8E5 spoilers
And I accept that they needed to rush the turn due to the accelerated pace of this last season.
[close]

But they didn't have to rush it, D&D imposed a time limit on themselves for some reason. HBO said they would have been happy to give them a full 10 episode season (and I can only assume that goes for last season as well).

I assume it's because they didn't have enough pre-written material to cover a typical season length, and shows have often been ruined by stretching out a thin narrative over too many episodes. (I'm looking at you, Netflix Marvel shows.)

Also, lol @ Kane and Undertaker, thanks for that. Always knew the Cleganes reminded me of something, but couldn't put my finger on it until now.

SiL

SiL

The popular theory is the writers wanted to speed it up so they could move onto Star Wars.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 13, 2019, 10:08:54 PMNo way. It's all about execution and *that* was poorly executed. I personally have no problem where they went, but I completely have a problem with how they got there.

If it's Anakin turning to the darkside or whatever, when you move a character from point A to point F, and skip over C, D, and E, you have a problem, and the masses of fans have voiced this. And they are not wrong.

Just like the masses of fans cringed over the Martha moment in BvS while some defenders argued that complainers wern't enlightened enough to understand it. Yet we understood what they were going for, but recognized it was executed poorly.

It's all about the execution.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/2d/2df1c6a1e44216b5f5207a11b24566596abeca9889b443ed53573a9ddc64da40.jpg

This right here! I don't mind dark endings (I like them actually), as long as the thing is handled well; I don't have any problem with it.
But I think with a season of 6 episodes it's a difficult task  :-\

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2019, 12:30:11 PM
The popular theory is the writers wanted to speed it up so they could move onto Star Wars.

Should have stayed with Thrones and give it the well deserved finish then. They will find no joy with Star Wars. The franchise is cursed  :D

And the last thing it needs are those two.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 14, 2019, 01:12:39 PM

Should have stayed with Thrones and give it the well deserved finish then. They will find no joy with Star Wars. The franchise is cursed  :D

Well that would be quite a shame if true.

LastSonofKrypton

Spoiler
Dany was the worst heel turn since
[close]

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 01:19:45 PM

Talk about kicking your legacy. Four more episodes could have worked wonders in actually doing
Spoiler
Darth Dany properly.
[close]
and giving the show an end that does not feel way too rushed.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 14, 2019, 02:20:45 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 01:19:45 PM

Talk about kicking your legacy. Four more episodes could have worked wonders in actually doing
Spoiler
Darth Dany probably.
[close]
and giving the show an end that does not feel way too rushed.

Unless it's as you originally said:

"Well, you didn't see that coming" > " actual character development"

Some of these episodes are running really long. I assume next week will be the longest. GoT episodes usually ran 50-60 minutes each. Could it be they filmed enough for 10 normal episodes but due to narrative reasons, just staged them as 6?

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed