The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 470,920 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'd assume they checked up with Martin beforehand, but then again there is the season one incident with
Spoiler
the Dothraki who's throat Drogo ripped out being set to appear in TWoW in what seems to be a fairly substantial role.
[close]

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I imagine they also could just create some random character to fill their place so it isn't that big a deal.

Sometimes I think Martin doesn't know what he wants to do himself.  I believe he knows where he wants to go for the finale but I don't think he's written how he's going to get there yet.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 10, 2014, 04:35:43 AM
I imagine they also could just create some random character to fill their place so it isn't that big a deal.

Sometimes I think Martin doesn't know what he wants to do himself.  I believe he knows where he wants to go for the finale but I don't think he's written how he's going to get there yet.

Yup. He often seems to write himself into a corner or just makes up a new character for a plot point.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

Well I am rabid about this show now that I will name my rabbit after one of the characters.  Fail or Win?

Master

Master

Mostly it`s win, mostly.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Watched the latest episode the other day. Overall it was terrific. Ser Alliser was badass. I wasn't sure of who to cheer for when he fought Tormund. I'm glad they both came out of it alive. The effects on the giants and the mammoths was excellent and it was nice to see them in action.

Spoiler
A shame they had to kill off both Grenn and Pyp. Jon could have needed some more friends on the wall.

Ygritte's death didn't really to anything for me, to be honest. I must admit to loosing my interest in her this season.

I kind of wish they would have stuck closer to the book when it comes to certain things. I know it's more or less impossible, due to time and budget restraints, but it would have been nice to see a hundred giants, like in the book, or more than a handful of wildlings attacking at the same time.

Some things did not sit well with me at all. Climbing the wall in the middle of an attack was pretty dumb. If they were going to climb the wall, why not do it where there were no guards? Also, Jon holding a dead Ygritte in his arms as his brothers were still fighting around him seemed so out of place. There is a time and a place for everything. :P
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Castiel on Jun 12, 2014, 04:26:26 PM
Watched the latest episode the other day. Overall it was terrific. Ser Alliser was badass. I wasn't sure of who to cheer for when he fought Tormund. I'm glad they both came out of it alive. The effects on the giants and the mammoths was excellent and it was nice to see them in action.

Spoiler
A shame they had to kill off both Grenn and Pyp. Jon could have needed some more friends on the wall.

Ygritte's death didn't really to anything for me, to be honest. I must admit to loosing my interest in her this season.

I kind of wish they would have stuck closer to the book when it comes to certain things. I know it's more or less impossible, due to time and budget restraints, but it would have been nice to see a hundred giants, like in the book, or more than a handful of wildlings attacking at the same time.

Some things did not sit well with me at all. Climbing the wall in the middle of an attack was pretty dumb. If they were going to climb the wall, why not do it where there were no guards? Also, Jon holding a dead Ygritte in his arms as his brothers were still fighting around him seemed so out of place. There is a time and a place for everything. :P
[close]

On the scale of the battle I somewhat agree. But when you think about it, other than a few, impressive panning shots would it have really added that much?
The character-focused nature of GoT means we would have spent a lot of time with Jon, Sam and others anyway and less time with LotR-esque general battle shots I think. Would the extra giants and mammoths added had that much to do on their side of the wall other than look menacing?

Rong

Rong

Spoiler
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Xenodog on Jun 13, 2014, 09:58:58 AMOn the scale of the battle I somewhat agree. But when you think about it, other than a few, impressive panning shots would it have really added that much? The character-focused nature of GoT means we would have spent a lot of time with Jon, Sam and others anyway and less time with LotR-esque general battle shots I think. Would the extra giants and mammoths added had that much to do on their side of the wall other than look menacing?

I just think it would have been a good way to show the true power of the wildlings free people. I guess it's the same complaint I have with the show's take on the Greyjoys. Sometimes they are made out to be a bit too simple for my taste.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Having giants on your side is still pretty good.

Also got my PS3 working again and fired up the S3 Blu ray...holy crap the quality is good.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

HUGE BOOK SPOILERS and a bit of the soundtrack for the upcoming episode

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYKNqvsbKw

Please be the Lady Stoneheart reveal and credits!
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 13, 2014, 08:38:55 PM
HUGE BOOK SPOILERS and a bit of the soundtrack for the upcoming episode

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYKNqvsbKw

Please be the Lady Stoneheart reveal and credits!
[close]

Mm, friends and I have been trying to decipher events in the episode from the soundtrack too.  :laugh:
Fairly certain that :
Spoiler
This will be Tywin's death : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfbTWpoZYA
[close]

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 09, 2014, 11:08:22 PMThe next episode's title has piqued my interest - "The Children"? I'm not a book reader, so without going into any particularly spoilery depth, is this a reference to the Children of the Forest?

Y'guys?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Perhaps.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Xenodog on Jun 13, 2014, 03:48:59 PMHaving giants on your side is still pretty good.

Makes me wish they would have sung "Last of the Giants". :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed