The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 470,940 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Ohhhh, timezones and shit.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 02, 2014, 10:32:43 AM
Spoiler
Yup, it was such a jarring reminder that even cool badasses scream when having their skulls crushed in, starting with their eyes.  :'(
[close]

Also, stop changing your damn name! I only just noticed who this was.  :laugh:

That sentence in the spoiler is my favorite :laugh: :laugh:

Spoiler
and yes, they don't call him The Red Viper for nothing. ;)
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Just watched the whole thing. On a whole, it was very good.

Spoiler
Still brutal as f**k ending.

Sansa rocking the goth princess look. :D :-*

Spoiler
"DUNK DUNK DUNK."
[close]
[close]

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Yup, the whole episode was amazing. A lot of good parts have been overshadowed by the end.

Spoiler
Sansa and Arya are so close to meeting again but something horrible is going to happen.
[close]

xeno-kaname

Xenodog

Xenodog

Can't control Pascal's sass :
Spoiler
[close]

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Xenodog on Jun 02, 2014, 02:48:08 PM
Can't control Pascal's sass :
Spoiler
[close]

LOL  :laugh:

Valaquen

Valaquen

Minor book spoiler:

Spoiler
If there's any consolation, it's that the Mountain's death from the Viper's poison will give him an even more agonising and protracted death than the one he gave Oberyn. I believe the actor who plays Pycelle said he had a disgusting scene coming up... could be him trying to treat the Mountain's desiccating still-living corpse. I hope they go all out on it.
[close]

Effectz

Effectz

Quote from: Xenodog on Jun 02, 2014, 02:27:54 PM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Jun 02, 2014, 02:26:52 PM
5 hours till what?

I actually get to see it. :P
Englander here. (And one who refuses to stream.)

You can download it if you wish,and they're crystal clear.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2014, 03:42:19 PM
Minor book spoiler:

Spoiler
If there's any consolation, it's that the Mountain's death from the Viper's poison will give him an even more agonising and protracted death than the one he gave Oberyn. I believe the actor who plays Pycelle said he had a disgusting scene coming up... could be him trying to treat the Mountain's desiccating still-living corpse. I hope they go all out on it.
[close]

Kind of negated by
Spoiler
Gregor becoming Robert Strong for me.
[close]

Cheers Effectz, though I'm ok to wait.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2014, 03:42:19 PM
Minor book spoiler:

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I really hope so. That will be closer to justice for such a difficult end to a beloved character than anything we've gotten so far.

I'll be happy to see Qyburn again, and hope they go into Ser Strong with the Clegane stuff.
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Any other book readers aware of the 'Clegane Bowl' theory?

•ONEYE•

•ONEYE•

Xenodog

Xenodog

Spoiler
[close]

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Den of Geek had a nice review of this episode in which the author goes on to bring up the most obvious topic for watchers and readers alike: the cruel nature and ultimate purpose of Martin's story. I rant on it for a bit in the spoiler, but there aren't really any true spoilers, book or show, inside.

Spoiler

It's already been discussed, and I would like to see it continue, but I'll ask an important question that's been on my mind relating to the subject: who thinks that HBO will have a big impact on the ending of Martin's story, maybe even leading to a happier ending after so much chaos, injustice, and brutality?

I'd like to think they would, because imo the story would be much better off with it. You can be gruesome and realistic and blah blah yeah that's great, but this isn't a documentary. There are certain, specific types of stories that portray stark realities, and in those cases that's appreciated, but even those usually have a point.

No one follows a story to be constantly reminded of every horrible thing that can happen in our dismal reality. Story narratives have a format for a reason. Some are idealistic views at life, romantic in some way or another, but entertainment usually leaves a good feeling in some way.

Watching such wretched brutality over and over without purpose leaves Martin's series in danger of seeming utterly gratuitous, just using historical atrocities as buttons to push to keep people shocked into reading. It's like trashy art that has nothing going for it besides shock value.

That's not how I feel about Martin's books. The man is clearly a talented story-teller and I love how he breaks from convention on the regular, but at the end of the day, you don't want your story to wind up being nothing but some horrible epic representation of humankinds vomit-inducing history. It's simply not good storytelling, and will leave readers and viewers pissed off.

To conclude, I'll add that the 'it's realistic' argument really only goes so far. Even in the worst cases of historical injustice, they cause a reaction, a response that sometimes takes decades to manifest, but it happens. Someone, somewhere, will remember. That sort of thing forms the backbone for many stories, and I'd like to see a grand payoff at the end of this dark, dark journey.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed