The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 471,282 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I dunno, if I have to read another thirty page chapter about Arya wandering around and doing nothing of significance I may just explode.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 16, 2014, 05:19:30 PM
I dunno, if I have to read another thirty page chapter about Arya wandering around and doing nothing of significance I may just explode.

She's doing plenty, as is Daenerys.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Shasvre on Apr 16, 2014, 05:21:52 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 16, 2014, 05:19:30 PM

She's doing plenty, as is Daenerys.

Thank f**k.  :laugh:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Until the fourth and fifth book then they just chill.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

That's why I stopped watching the show, knowing that the last two books suck a castle of ass and resolve few of the characters arcs while introducing even more characters and pov's.

Before you ask, no I haven't actually read the 900+ page omnibus' of near-pointlessness, and I'm not going to waste my time, but from what I know and what I've heard from (admittedly disappointed) readers, they could cut and mix a lot in the last two books and just get on with what everybody wants.

I really hope Martin gets back on his horse for the final two books. It would be a shame if HBO had to go their own direction. All writers get tired or overwhelmed at some point, and I can only imagine how difficult it would be to keep such a complex story going in a world as vividly realized as Martin's.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I thought the fourth book really slowed to a crawl but the fifth book began to develop forward momentum again.  Its almost like a reset of the first three books themes.  With several NEW parties playing the game of thrones.  It just seems that we've already seen these things in the first three books and there isn't anything as epic as the events in the first three books.  Not yet at least.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Long live King Joffrey the Just!

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Shasvre on Apr 16, 2014, 10:38:56 PM
Long live King Joffrey the Just!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'm guessing he put those bat binoculars to good use.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 16, 2014, 10:01:06 PM
I thought the fourth book really slowed to a crawl but the fifth book began to develop forward momentum again.  Its almost like a reset of the first three books themes.  With several NEW parties playing the game of thrones.  It just seems that we've already seen these things in the first three books and there isn't anything as epic as the events in the first three books.  Not yet at least.

Winter is coming! It's coming, hang on. It's still coming. Winter will be here! Hold on, winter is f**king coming, I promise!

Spoiler
They need to get bloody on with it and have the Targaryens fighting each other over the seven kingdoms, while the North and South struggle to survive in a jilted alliance against them while continuing to play the game to ensure their own victory. All this thrown up against an actual white walker invasion for shits sake lol.

Spoiler
And in the end, Jon and Arya need to kill them all, claim Dany and the Dragons, and Arya marries Tyrion who is crowned King of the South while Jon and Dany rebuild Winterfell at the wall and rule the North. Sansa can just hang out with Littlefinger and stare out the moon door for the rest of her life. >:D
[close]

Martin has plenty of set-up, he just needs to follow through. Stalling in the second act is both common and forgivable, especially given the bloated nature of his storytelling lol. Just don't die you bastard!
[close]

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Spoiler
How I feel it will play out.  New Targaryen will be the great white hype for the seven kingdoms for the common folk when all seems lost for the realm but he will eventually be felled by another house.  Littlefinger will destroy himself in the quest for power even if he is the most qualified to play.  Dany will struggle retaking the dragons from the Ironborn and other threats but will eventually defeat all comers and head toward westeros.  Stannis will not be the lord of lights right hand man and Melisandre will be revealed to have mistaken signs.  Jon snow will be whats his face reborn and begin a stalwart defense against the others as they are pushed back from the wall. Eventually houses that were enemies will have to unite under one banner to stall the others and when it looks like all hope is lost Dany arrives her army and dragons and pushes the others back behind the wall.  Being a fair and just queen and every person that has tried to play the game and lost now dead Dany becomes the queen of the realm with Jon Snow being a potential heir because of him being Rhaegers and Lyannas son.  What Bran and Arya will do and who they will end up serving I don't know.  I originally thought they were going to be Danys dragon riders but now I'm not sure after the fifth book.
[close]

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Spoiler
Good predictions. It's going to be interesting to see how they play it out in the show. That would be massively cool about Bran and Arya, but right now I haven't much of a clue how they're arcs are going to go.

PS - Can't wait for The Red Viper vs. The Mountain. Haven't had a good duel in awhile..
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 16, 2014, 11:28:29 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 16, 2014, 10:01:06 PM

Winter is coming! It's coming, hang on. It's still coming. Winter will be here! Hold on, winter is f**king coming, I promise!

Spoiler
They need to get bloody on with it and have the Targaryens fighting each other over the seven kingdoms, while the North and South struggle to survive in a jilted alliance against them while continuing to play the game to ensure their own victory. All this thrown up against an actual white walker invasion for shits sake lol.

Spoiler
And in the end, Jon and Arya need to kill them all, claim Dany and the Dragons, and Arya marries Tyrion who is crowned King of the South while Jon and Dany rebuild Winterfell at the wall and rule the North. Sansa can just hang out with Littlefinger and stare out the moon door for the rest of her life. >:D
[close]

Martin has plenty of set-up, he just needs to follow through. Stalling in the second act is both common and forgivable, especially given the bloated nature of his storytelling lol. Just don't die you bastard!
[close]

From what I've seen, he's still a lot better about this than Robert Jordan was. That guy kept putting out books, but they became progressively slower as they went on.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Pffft, all thid AFfC and ADwD hate. ADwD is certainly my favorite of the five so far, and it is even better when looked at alongside AFfC. :P

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

From what I've read, I'm not fond of how Martin split those two. It would have been better if it were chronological, instead of by region. Going a whole book without Tyrion sounds like agony.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed