The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 467,363 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

From the looks of the trailers, they will cover the whole of A Clash of Kings in this season. However, I remember reading a interview with Martin a while back ago where he said that A Storm of Swords would probably have to be divided between two seasons and that they also had to depart from the source material a bit when they came to that point.

Eva

Eva

You guys are really tempting me lol....  :D

Must... leave... this... thread... alone...

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 09, 2012, 07:49:04 PM
Do they mention how of much of A Clash of Kings is going to be adapted for Season 2? Season 1 covered most if not all of a A Game of Thrones. Do they plan to cover the second book in all of Season 2 or stretch it to Season 3?

Recently, David Benioff or D.B. Weiss revealed that their idea is not to adapt each book as a season. That Season 1 fell pretty much perfectly into a single season, and that small points from Season 2 leaked into Season 1. They've also mentioned that pieces of Season 2 will be in Season 3, and pieces of Season 3 will be in Season 2. That they're writing the series based upon the whole A Song of Ice and Fire as opposed to adapting a book at a time - in my opinion, I think that's a much smarter way to do it. The stories are so big that they can't all be contained in single seasons - it's only natural that they will leak into other seasons. But...I think their general basis, is to try and have most of each book in a single season (except for Book 3 which is far too big - and for Book 4 & 5 which together is unbelievably massive).

Hope that answers your question... I can get a bit confusing the more I go into something haha. :)

First Blood

First Blood

Ah, thank you for the explanation Michael. :)

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 09, 2012, 08:14:09 PM
Ah, thank you for the explanation Michael. :)

No problemo :P

Shasvre

Shasvre

I also wouldn't want to see a straight adaption of A Feast for Crows.

No Daenerys in that whole book. :'(

First Blood

First Blood

And that would mean no Emilia Clarke. :'(

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 09, 2012, 08:24:46 PM
I also wouldn't want to see a straight adaption of A Feast for Crows.

No Daenerys in that whole book. :'(

Well, due to both A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons happening at the same time (until the latter part of A Dance With Dragons) I'm certain that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will develop both stories simultaneously into the series. Probably over the course of at least two seasons if they break it down a bit - however, I think that they should tell those two books over the course of three seasons. As I've said often before, both books are the "Calm Before the Storm," and I know a lot of people would probably feel a bit uneasy with three whole seasons of that feeling - but it can go one of two ways:

1. George R.R. Martin hasn't finished The Winds of Winter by the time they conclude the A Feast for Crows / A Dance with Dragons part of the series. This would complicate everything, and would mean waiting for George to complete the sixth book before continuing making the series. Thus, the two books could be split into three whole seasons, giving George another year to write the book.

2. The Winds of Winter could be written earlier (and long). Both A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons can be broken down into two seasons - with all the major events intact, and then, possibly two seasons for The Winds of Winter depending on its length. This would give George a lot more time to complete the final book before the series catches up.

I'm hoping that George can complete The Winds of Winter by 2014, and A Dream of Spring by 2018, that way I'm sure the translation from Book to Screen will go nice and comfortably. I've always thought that the show would fit perfectly like this:

Season 01 - A Game of Thrones
Season 02 - A Clash of Kings
Season 03 - A Storm of Swords
Season 04 - A Storm of Swords
Season 05 - A Feast for Crows / A Dance with Dragons
Season 06 - A Feast for Crows / A Dance with Dragons
Season 07 - The Winds of Winter
Season 08 - The Winds of Winter
Season 09 - A Dream of Spring
Season 10 - A Dream of Spring

But obviously, we have no idea how long the last two books are going to be - but, 10 seasons is a nice even number - and, we're looking at a total of 100 episodes. But...I'm more than likely just looking way too high! HaHa

Shasvre

Shasvre

A very interesting post, Michael. :)

Is A Dream of Spring confirmed to be the last book in the series?

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 09, 2012, 08:41:37 PM
A very interesting post, Michael. :)

Is A Dream of Spring confirmed to be the last book in the series?

George has often said that A Dream of Spring is the end, but when talking about writing The Winds of Winter, he mentioned that though he intends it to be a Seven Book series, that ""Three years from [2011] when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows"

Originally, A Dream of Spring was going to be titled A Time for Wolves, but changed it because he didn't like the title. He only ever said he was displeased by the title, but I've came to believe that the reason why he changed it is because it may have revealed a little too much about what's going to happen. That the Starks may possibly rise up somehow! But...that's just my theory haha :)

Shasvre

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 11, 2012, 10:03:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of1NKLWC68o#ws

Great trailer. It also confirms by theory:
Spoiler
That the people we saw crossing the glacier in the last trailer were actually the Wildlings with Jon Snow - this journey doesn't happen in A Clash of Kings following the death of Halfhand. So, we're getting to see the journey to Mance Rayder in this season
[close]

:D

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 10:21:55 AM
Spoiler
That the people we saw crossing the glacier in the last trailer were actually the Wildlings with Jon Snow - this journey doesn't happen in A Clash of Kings following the death of Halfhand. So, we're getting to see the journey to Mance Rayder in this season
[close]
I'm all for that. It didn't feel like Jon had that much to do in A Clash of Kings anyway.

Also, I had completely missed the fact that they had already cast Ygritte.

Rose Leslie

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 11, 2012, 10:29:12 AM
Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 10:21:55 AM
Spoiler
[close]
I'm all for that. It didn't feel like Jon had that much to do in A Clash of Kings anyway.

Also, I had completely missed the fact that they had already cast Ygritte.

Rose Leslie

http://themoviemash.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Rose-Leslie.jpg

Yeah. I think she completely embodies a Wildling too. She looks the part I think :)

Also more episode titles have been revealed, so far all the episodes titled are:

S02E01: The North Remembers
S02E02: The Nightlands
S02E03: What Is Dead May Never Die
S02E04: Garden of Bones
S02E05: The Ghost of Harrenhal
S02E06: The Old Gods and the New
S02E07:
S02E08:
S02E09: Blackwater
S02E10:

New character featurette on Daenerys - loads of new footage including one hell of an epic shot from the sky of Dany and her people crossing the Red Waste. A longer shot of Drogon, her Dragon looking visually stunning, and interviews too! Hopefully we'll keep getting more of these day-by-day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poh2qV2GjVk#ws

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 12:10:09 PMAlso more episode titles have been revealed, so far all the episodes titled are:

S02E01: The North Remembers
S02E02: The Nightlands
S02E03: What Is Dead May Never Die
S02E04: Garden of Bones
S02E05: The Ghost of Harrenhal
S02E06: The Old Gods and the New
S02E07:
S02E08:
S02E09: Blackwater
S02E10:
I'm really looking forward to this one. :)

Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 12:10:09 PMNew character featurette on Daenerys - loads of new footage including one hell of an epic shot from the sky of Dany and her people crossing the Red Waste. A longer shot of Drogon, her Dragon looking visually stunning, and interviews too! Hopefully we'll keep getting more of these day-by-day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poh2qV2GjVk#ws
Great video. Also, it doesn't look like...

Spoiler
Doreah will die in the desert, because that short interview with Roxanne McKee looks like it could be taking place in Qarth, going by the background and the dress she's wearing.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed