The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 467,497 times)

The Old One

The Old One

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 21, 2019, 02:52:53 PM
What was the one thing?
Spoiler
Drogon flying away with Daenerys' corpse in his claws, and that's the last time we see him

I said that EXACT thing would happen, and it did. Mindblowing, I didn't even read any leaks
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 21, 2019, 02:29:12 PM
You guys have to know I had a bet with a friend, if one thing I said would happen in the finale I'd watch the show

Guess I AM starting the show after all :P prolly this June

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 21, 2019, 02:57:15 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 21, 2019, 02:52:53 PM
What was the one thing?
Spoiler
Drogon flying away with Daenerys' corpse in his claws, and that's the last time we see him

I said that EXACT thing would happen, and it did. Mindblowing, I didn't even read any leaks
[close]

Wait. You made a bet on something happening in regards to characters you don't know in a finale of a show you have never watched. And you won.

I'm confused.

The Old One

The Old One

No Gods or Kings, only...
Spoiler
Bran.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Rudiger on May 21, 2019, 03:20:34 PM
Quote from: Shasvre on May 21, 2019, 02:20:15 PM
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1130581319593783296

Oh that's good. Top work.

:laugh:

I had to pause to read a few of those because it moved too fast, but so excellent.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 21, 2019, 03:03:44 PM
Wait. You made a bet on something happening in regards to characters you don't know in a finale of a show you have never watched. And you won.
Well I technically lost cause now I have to watch ALL of it

but I've spoiled myself on the long run, i.e. I have a rough idea of who the main characters are what happens to them throughout. I've also had the habit to google the dragon scenes for each season once they came out ;D

so in essence, actually watching the entire show will be like connecting the info/vis dots I already have

(I'm a terrible person and in no way should anyone take me as an example as to how to watch a tv show...)

Shasvre

Shasvre

No one ever had to fight undead Hodor. What a shame.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Shasvre on May 21, 2019, 04:05:41 PM
No one ever had to fight undead Hodor. What a shame.

I had really hoped the White Walkers conflict would be the grand finale, but that was one aspect I didn't care for - a zombie army. I would have liked to seen the Night King's army comprised of his....lieutenants, for lack of a better description.....

But no, it's zombies. It had to be zombies.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 21, 2019, 04:55:59 PM
I had really hoped the White Walkers conflict would be the grand finale...

Villain spacing

I think that's the core of where the disappointment comes from. They tackled each of the season's three big bads separately, but the biggest bad, the one that's been built up from the very first scene of the first episode, was the first one dealt with... Which seems like a recipe for an anticlimax. Furthermore, that plotline was wrapped up very neatly, only halfway through the season, with the only lasting consequence being a depletion of the eastern forces.

(It also spoiled the climate change allegory about the bigger issues looming over society while leaders squabble.)

My opinion, they needed to roll all these separate fights together and spend the season teasing out the ultimate climax, with the Night King only dealt with in the final or penultimate episode. As it is, the climax happens early, but they just kept pounding on. That sort of behaviour makes you sore.
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Vertigo on May 21, 2019, 05:23:56 PM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 21, 2019, 04:55:59 PM
I had really hoped the White Walkers conflict would be the grand finale...

Villain spacing

I think that's the core of where the disappointment comes from.....[and everything else you said]
[close]

Spoiler
Additionally, the very first episode, the very first scene introduced the White Walkers conflict. For me, it would have been fitting the very last episode, very last scene ends the conflict. Began with that, end with that. What was shown in the actual last episode could have been accomplished before the white walker grand finale. Kill the tyrant Cersi, Winterfell becomes independent, etc. but they unite to confront the Night King and his army of cadavers.

All the armies of Westeros - Northerners, southerners, maybe even support from Braavos, Volantis, along with the Slaver's Bay cities, the Unsullied, the Dothraki, and the pre-gone-psycho Dany now queen of the remaining kingdoms with her Dragon. It would have been epic. A battle that spans at least three episodes........imo.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 21, 2019, 04:55:59 PMI would have liked to seen the Night King's army comprised of his....lieutenants, for lack of a better description.....

But no, it's zombies. It had to be zombies.

Quite a few of those White Walkers must have been Craster's sons. Meanwhile, Craster's only human son is a refugee in Winterfell. Could probably have made something interesting with that.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Shasvre on May 21, 2019, 06:03:48 PM
Quite a few of those White Walkers must have been Craster's sons. Meanwhile, Craster's only human son is a refugee in Winterfell. Could probably have made something interesting with that.

I thought Craster's sacrifices to the White Walkers were all infants. From what I've read in articles, apparently in the books since they can't reproduce, that's how they procreate, snatching human babies and converting them to WW. But the article also mentioned this is wives tales in the book.

There's nothing in the books that actually describes an infant WW growing up and becoming a full sized soldier. Maybe that's how his "lieutenants" are made, since they look different from the rotting zombies. The Night King can mold an infant WW into a lieutenant.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Given the age of Craster, I think he have a few sons that could be adults by now.

There is a scene in the book where the other wives are urging Sam to take Gilly and her child. They say something along the lines of "his brothers are coming for him".

kwisatz

kwisatz

Spoiler
The Night King is a woodcut-like villain even worse than Thanos though. Him being the main end battle would ultimately take the "Game" out of "Game of Thrones" transforming it into a simplistic LotR clone. Even executed well I can't see the demanding or exciting aspect of such an approach. It probably would've pleased the Marvel crowd more, but we been there about a 1000 times when it comes to storytelling yawn.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed