The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 470,005 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I was freaking the f**k out that entire fight.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

two chars i love fighting each other.. oh noessss!!!1  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Sigh. I know I said I was done with the show, but I couldn't pass up that finale I knew was coming. :P The butthurt is still level 8,500 over the Viper lol.

Spoiler

On that point, kind of disappointed that Gregor is just laying there. His skin looked hella nastay, but no pain, no suffering, he just looked dead. A little detail that would've gone a ways to ease that blow and fit perfectly with the horrendously brutal themes of the show. Come on, let's have some screaming in agonizing pain. Nope. :(

But great episode. Some wonderful performances like usual with this show, and I was honestly impressed with the absence of gratuitous tits and gore.

No Stoneheart, so Lena Headey's tweet was a big crock of hype shit. Thanks, now I know not to pay attention to you in the future.

And the Brienne/Hound duel was a great idea, but that directing, ye gods! I've never seen so many rapid cuts that literally destroyed the great flow of that fight. Incredibly awful directing, can't believe none of you had any criticisms of it. Outside of that, the scene was spectacular and a wonderful end for the Hound that stepped it up from the books in a great way.

Anyway, a nice wrap-up. Can't wait to get pissed off at something and stop watching next season. :laugh:
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

You are literally this guy :

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

"salt on a womb" :laugh:

First Blood

First Blood

Question to those who've read the books

Spoiler
In the finale it shows Varys board the ship with Tyrion. Does this me they're going to be together in the next season?
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: First Blood on Jun 16, 2014, 06:07:30 PM
Question to those who've read the books

Spoiler
In the finale it shows Varys board the ship with Tyrion. Does this me they're going to be together in the next season?
[close]

I'm scratching my head about that too.
Spoiler
Varys and Tyrion both leave after those events, but Tyrion travels alone and we don't catch up with Varys until much later.

The way the show is going, though, they might put Varys with Tyrion for a little while. Perhaps so they don't have to write him out of the show for a season.

Especially since BOOK SPOILERS
Spoiler
Tyrion goes to Illyrio in Pentos, and we know that Illyrio and Varys are plotting together.
[close]
[close]

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Cal427eb on Jun 16, 2014, 05:37:02 PM
I was freaking the f**k out that entire fight.

Same. I like both characters so much I found myself unable to cheer for one or the other. Which is think is extremely rare. I had to just sit back and watch in horror these two badasses go at it. And I was freaking out.

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jun 16, 2014, 04:17:21 PM
Spoiler
Given all the theories about Jon Snow,
[close]
I got serious chills when Jon and Mel locked eyes across the flames.

And also this. That scene had such an unexpected effect on me. I was just like "Oh shit.."

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

For me, this clearly is the best season to date. It was a really fine finale, not the best episode of the series but really great.

Just sad that the
Spoiler
North hasn't remembered
[close]
yet, here's to next season!  8)

Oh and I loved Bran's Stuff, normaly I find his arc executed really boringly, but this was just epic.

Btw book question:
Spoiler
Isn't Coldhands to show up before they meet the children
[close]
?

Master

Master

It was so good I`m stunned. Possibly one of the best if not the best episode in the series.
Spoiler
Great duel. Great clash between Tyrion and Tywin. And that Stanis! I really hope him and mance will unite and take this great, huge army to Kings Landing. Pitty Charles Dance won`t be here next year. My favorite character to the date (although some bastard spoiled his death to me).
[close]

Well, so the great wait begins again. Till the next year!

Rong

Rong

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 16, 2014, 06:05:03 PM
"salt on a womb" :laugh:

Lol the highlight was "banging titties" I lol'd

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 16, 2014, 07:38:16 PMBtw book question:
Spoiler
Isn't Coldhands to show up before they meet the children
[close]
?

Spoiler
If they were following the books verbatim, he should have showed up as far back as last season to rescue Sam and Gilly from Craster's and then been passed off to Bran at the Black Gate.

The way I see it is, there's two options. Either Coldhands' entire purpose in the books was for him to lead Bran to the Three Eyed-Crow and his story is done, in which case he's just been written out of the show. I personally believe, however, that the more likely option is that because his true identity/purpose has yet to be properly revealed in the books they're holding off until the right moment to bring him in the show so that he doesn't just have to stand there doing nothing for the next season or so.

This season, for example, would have been radically altered if he was there. The Night's Watch mutineers would never have been able to take Bran and company. Capturing Bran is clearly something that the showrunners wanted to do, and if they had no cplans to reveal Coldhands' identity this season why have him around just to mess with their intended story?

Maybe he'll show up if/when Bran and company leave the cave down the line.
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Episode thoughts :
Spoiler
Opening was really good...though it was unquestionably more spectacular with the warg and his animals going mad, and Melisandre burning the eagle which I was really sad they left out. Show just how powerful she is. I guess Stannis' / Melisandre's main dialogue with Jon will be next season then too...

Bran and Co's scene was good. Though I wasn't fond of the overly CGI skeletons. Coulda' just used normal wights. The Child looked superb, the Three eyed Raven not so much. Fan art nailed him, with the trees growing through him. Didn't get that here.

Hound vs. Brienne was just all round excellent. Fantastic, visceral fight.

Tywin's death I didn't like that much, nor the scene with Cersei prior. I feel they've dropped the ball with his character this season. They kept the waters with his association with Gregor murdered Elia deliberately muddy when in the books it was clear and Tywin wasn't that much of a monster.
In the scene with Cersei...he wrung his hands like a little girl when she stormed off.
Finally, the proud Lion of Casterly Rock doesn't grovel on the privvy. That's what it looked like to me, with some of his lines. The book chapter was far superior I.M.O. Didn't like Tyrion reloading and shooting him again either, felt weird.

One final point was the choice of music was weird. Rather than Arya's / Jaqen's theme 'Valar Morghulis' they went with Robb's theme? Odd.

If I wasn't a book reader I'd have definitely liked it more though. I've always been a staunch supporter of the show or film vs. the often foolish and unmoving hipster mantra of 'the book was better'. But that's wavered a bit this season and a lot this latest episode. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to flip out and pull a Raging dragon and I'm really looking forward to S5, but still. Hmm.

[close]

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Xenodog on Jun 16, 2014, 06:03:02 PM

Yeah I read this a few weeks back. :laugh: Second vote for 'banging titties,' but this part had me rolling as well:
dfw the most likeable character left on the show is Stannis Baratheon who has a swag rating of 14/100.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 16, 2014, 10:00:28 PM
Quote from: Xenodog on Jun 16, 2014, 06:03:02 PM

Yeah I read this a few weeks back. :laugh: Second vote for 'banging titties,' but this part had me rolling as well:
dfw the most likeable character left on the show is Stannis Baratheon who has a swag rating of 14/100.

Yup, that sentence killed me.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed