The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 472,890 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 16, 2013, 12:54:20 AM
Yesterday, I told First Blood about all the f**ked up things that goes down in the third book. I'm surprised his mind could handle all of that stuff at once. :laugh:

I still haven't read that.

Shasvre

Eva

Eva

Yes!

Is that Stannis in voiceover, wanting Joffrey and Robb Stark dead? I can almost imagine Robert DeNiro in The Untouchables for my eyes in the 'I want them dead!' scene. :D

Shasvre

Shasvre

That is indeed Stannis.

[BOOK SPOILERS]

Spoiler
For once, he gets his way. 8)
[close]

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 16, 2013, 01:51:55 AM
That is indeed Stannis.

[BOOK SPOILERS]

Spoiler
For once, he gets his way. 8)
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah... those are some brutal deaths. I'm guessing we won't get to the red wedding events until season 4 though.
[close]

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Eva on Mar 16, 2013, 02:25:29 AM
Spoiler
Yeah... those are some brutal deaths. I'm guessing we won't get to the red wedding events until season 4 though.
[close]
Spoiler
They're happening episode 9. Benioff, Weiss, etc have all commented on it happening.
[close]

m41guy

m41guy

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 16, 2013, 01:05:37 PM
Quote from: Eva on Mar 16, 2013, 02:25:29 AM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
They're happening episode 9. Benioff, Weiss, etc have all commented on it happening.
[close]

Spoiler
Not to mention, the title for Ep 9 is fittingly "The Rains of Castamere".

But yeah that is Stannis in the voiceover.  I wonder if they take it from the scene where he burns the leaches and claiming the lives of the other kings, Joffery, Robb, and Balon. Or if it's just for the commercial.
[close]

Spoilers for those who have not read books 4/5.
Spoiler
Anyone else wonder if Roz will end up playing the Jeyne Poole and becoming the fake Arya?  The red hair and all I could see it happening and well since...they never introduced her and she is pretty much Sansa's BFF up until Robert's death and the Lannisters kill all the Starks' household in King's Landing.  But she doesn't look the age.
[close]

I never saw Dexter, but I could see the fanbase dropping after the end of this season  :laugh:

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: m41guy on Mar 16, 2013, 08:39:46 PMI could see the fanbase dropping after the end of this season  :laugh:

Maybe from heart attacks. :D

Ruadh

Ruadh

I actually agree with M41guy.

Spoiler
It kinda plays into what I was saying earlier, where the audience realizes that most of the characters that initially pulled them into the story are gone. And then the other characters are moving towards their goals at a lethargic snail's pace. I expect all the book fans to stick with it 'til the end of course, and I'm sure some fans who haven't read the books will as well, but I think a lot of viewers are going to reconsider their HBO subscription this year and next year.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

The same could have been a problem for the books, but I found new characters to root for as the story moved along and the old ones where killed off. As for snails pace, well, I never expected Daenerys (for example) to end up on the Iron Throne anytime soon and it feels like her story is just as much about her creating her own legacy as it is to reclaim Westeros.

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 16, 2013, 10:32:04 PM
The same could have been a problem for the books, but I found new characters to root for as the story moved along and the old ones where killed off. As for snails pace, well, I never expected Daenerys (for example) to end up on the Iron Throne anytime soon and it feels like her story is just as much about her creating her own legacy as it is to reclaim Westeros.

But books are really a different kind of animal, as are readers. The books are from perspectives, so you REALLY get to know these people. And as I said before, there's a lot of history thrown in along the way that the tv audience will probably never know about.
Spoiler

And like I pointed out though, a lot of people with no clue of what happens in the books are completely ready for Daenerys to at least set foot on the main continent this season. When she doesn't, it'll be a disappointment. And maybe some people will start to realize this show is going to drag on for a bit.

Again, it's like Lost, or even Twin Peaks (which is a  great example of what a tightrope tv series are). On Lost, people were desperate for answers because the writers were just stringing it along and stringing it along. The show lost ratings...no pun intended, though I just caught it...but each season was lowering. Twin Peaks, the big mystery of the show was of course who killed Laura Palmer. THere were lots of other mysteries along the way, but the network pressured them to reveal the culprit before the show was done. Despite the creators meaning for it to be revealed at the end, they caved, and it pretty much killed the show. A monumental amount of the audience split.

So...what's nice about Thrones is...there are definitely several things I think the uninitiated viewer will care about, and of course they'll learn to care about the new people here and there as well as the new plights. But it's tough when there are a couple of really major things we're building towards that don't seem to be going anywhere, when you're aware of how it's played out so far in the source material. The white walkers are a big one, as they were teased in the very beginning, and then again at the end of last season. So, it seems like they're poised to make their move on the wall. Have they even done anything like that in the books yet?

And forget about the audience, the heart of my argument is of course my own annoyance. You've got that, you've got Daenerys, who will probably land at the southern end. So these two big forces will presumably sweep across all the petty in-fighting, and that's exciting! But...we have to wait several years for that kinda thing. I'm almost tempted to just lay off, and return to the series when it's around season 9 or so...just get the blurays.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Ruadh on Mar 16, 2013, 11:06:11 PM
Spoiler
The white walkers are a big one, as they were teased in the very beginning, and then again at the end of last season. So, it seems like they're poised to make their move on the wall. Have they even done anything like that in the books yet?
[close]

Spoiler
Not yet. On the other hand, Mance Rayder have attacked the wall, something we are probably going to see in Season 4.
[close]

Also, I just read earlier today that George R. R. Martin have explained to the showrunners what he have planned for the future books, should he pass away before he have the time to finish them. So we are never going to be left completely in the dark, should that happen. Something I'm very grateful for myself.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Spoiler
Not to mention, the title for Ep 9 is fittingly "The Rains of Castamere".

But yeah that is Stannis in the voiceover.  I wonder if they take it from the scene where he burns the leaches and claiming the lives of the other kings, Joffery, Robb, and Balon. Or if it's just for the commercial.
[close]

Spoiler
I was thinking the leaches scene also. I hope it is in the show!
[close]

m41guy

m41guy

Spoiler
Me too.

I'm also hoping for subtle hints of Freys dissappearing throughout and then end Season 4 with the reveal of Lady Stoneheart.
[close]

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 16, 2013, 11:13:38 PM
Also, I just read earlier today that George R. R. Martin have explained to the showrunners what he have planned for the future books, should he pass away before he have the time to finish them. So we are never going to be left completely in the dark, should that happen. Something I'm very grateful for myself.

I read that too, so...it's comforting. But still gonna take a decade.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed