The eggs on the derelict (Aliens)

Started by Infected, Apr 01, 2011, 08:38:25 PM

Author
The eggs on the derelict (Aliens) (Read 16,376 times)

Infected

Why did they first went out to investigate the colony and not go for the derelict ship instead?
If the company wanted the eggs so bad they could send in two teams one for the colony and one for grabbing "the thousands of eggs the crewmember Kane saw" i mean Ripley can save Newt and stuff and the real bastards can have there war machine without interference of any stuck up curly female.
Because in Alien 3 they specially come for Ripley they send a Sulaco looking craft just for that one creature,
so in between Aliens and Alien3 they had to find out what this creature can do and stuff or they had to know from the start. (Alien) or before that ;)
So my guess would be best to send a team of snatchers and not just one company guy like Burke with a soft belly.
Besides that the derelict ship would have had lots more technology and the jockey inside with the eggs.

SiL

SiL

Company didn't want the Aliens in Aliens, Burke did.

predxeno

Also, Burke didn't even know if the eggs existed.  If he made a big deal over it, all the health departments and alien safety regulators would have stepped in and nobody would have gotten any exclusive rights over the species and the company would have to wait in line just like everyone else for a chance to harness these spectacular creatures.

samoht

Which company was Burke working for?

predxeno

Weyland-Yutani.

Valaquen

Ridley has said that the Company didn't know about that explicit alien [with a capital 'A'] when they re-routed the Nostromo, just that it may be something juicy.

We can infer that after the Nostromo goes AWOL, they didn't bother messing around with it, for some reason or another [too shady/boardmembers die, whatever, I dunno]. Then Burke catches Ripley's story, sends the colonists to the co-ordinates, then oops lol, then he decides to tag along and make some monies for himself, and a promotion. After Aliens, the Company seem to get clued into what they're dealing with, and chase after it ala Alien 3.

Phew. Conjecture, of course.

predxeno

According to the novelization, the company knew there was a hostile organism after they translated the message and sent the Nostromo crew along to pick an Alien up, however, it was hoped that all the crew members would live to pick up their pensions after the trip.

Valaquen

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 02, 2011, 02:29:54 AM
According to the novelization, the company knew there was a hostile organism after they translated the message and sent the Nostromo crew along to pick an Alien up, however, it was hoped that all the crew members would live to pick up their pensions after the trip.
Have to go with Ridley > Alan Dean Foster. Not saying the Company didn't know of an organism, but a specifically hostile, body-incubating war-organism? Can't buy it, considering the lapse in action between Alien and Aliens.

Sabres21768

I can buy it, only for the fact that the Nostromo's translator deciphered some of the message.

Now, we can assume that the "Company" had far more sophisticated equipment to decipher the message and more time to do it in.

So, I'm of the opinion that the company knew EXACTLY what they were sending the Nostromo after.

That's why they put Ash on board, to ensure he would bring it back and would be the one thing a Facehugger wouldn't attack.

Valaquen

I can't agree that they knew EXACTLY what they were after, simply based on the inaction between Alien and Aliens, and Ridley's own words.

Sabres21768

The inaction between the first and second movie means nothing.

They were written and directed by two different people.

If you take the first movie all on its own (which is relevent in this situation), then it seems the company knew exactly what they were after.

SiL

SiL

If the Company knew of the Alien, then they wouldn't have sent a tug-boat. AlienĀ³ shows this. The end.

QuoteIf you take the first movie all on its own (which is relevent in this situation), then it seems the company knew exactly what they were after.
Unless you ask any of the people actually involved in it, who all seemed to agree that no-one knew precisely what was there.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: SiL on Apr 02, 2011, 02:58:48 AM
If the Company knew of the Alien, then they wouldn't have sent a tug-boat. AlienĀ³ shows this. The end.

Again, you're taking into account a movie (and plot points) that didn't exist when the first was made.

The company sent what would draw the least attention, or what was going to be closest to the planet on its return trip, or the one they could replace a crewmember with an android.

The end.

Valaquen

Ridley said, and I believe this was pre-Aliens, but someone may correct me if wrong:

'I think any corporation that sends probes into unknown territory is going to think of the possibility of finding something new. I'm sure that the crew members on all its ships would have been briefed to bring back anything of interest. It would be part of one's job to bring it back. An alien, of course, would be of top priority. This particular corporation didn't have a preconceived notion that an alien would be found on this mission, much less the particular alien that is brought onto the ship. The idea of bringing it back alive would not have been on the minds of the corporate executives when they first received the alien transmission. They just had high expectations when they ordered the Nostromo to investigate - it was purely out of curiousity.'

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Apr 02, 2011, 03:03:11 AM
They company sent what would draw the least attention, or what was going to be closest to the planet on its return trip, or the one they could replace a crewmember with an android.
Or they could avoid all problems, scramble a ship on the down-low with a specially-fitted crew that knows what they're dealing with, and not risk a group of space-truckers getting scared and scuttling billions of dollars worth of resources.

Everyone involved with the plot of the original agreed that the Company only knew that something was there and that maybe they could use it. The Special Order is so vague it could just as easily refer to the Space Jockey as to the Alien -- Ash is there as insurance regardless. Nothing in the movie says they knew about the Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed