The eggs on the derelict (Aliens)

Started by Infected, Apr 01, 2011, 08:38:25 PM

Author
The eggs on the derelict (Aliens) (Read 16,368 times)

Infected

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 03, 2011, 12:40:46 PM
Quote from: Infected on Apr 03, 2011, 12:16:10 PM
Great then you go on ahead and do that.
go get some eggs with you mech arm.
But you dont have one and you dont have xeno eggs,
so kinda farfetched of you to say such a farfetched thing.  ;)
http://i848.photoket.com/albums/ab43/OmegaZilla95/Humorous%20Images%20and%20GIFs/obvious-troll.jpg
No U!

bleau

bleau

I am still confused. So Initially the company knew something was there on LV 426. They knew because its beacon repeated every 12 seconds. The Company heard and deciphered the beacon some time prior to the Nostromo's trek to retrieve ore from Thedus. Two weeks before the Nostromo set "sail", the Company replaced the old science officer with Ash, whom they have preprogrammed to enact their plan of retrieving and protecting the alien life form. They then re-routed the Nostromo to the same area. They knew that the Nostromo would pick up the distress signal and, according to Company regulations, would be forced to respond to it, and Ash would be there to make sure that the mission was carried out.

Is this right so far?
Then accessing the ship's computer, Ripley discovers that Ash has been ordered to return the Alien to the Nostromo's corporate employers even at the expense of the crew. So now the Company knows about the Alien and how dangerous it is right?

Then we all know what happens next. Yada, yada, yada, Ripley escapes threw shuttle and goes into hyper sleep.

Now in Aliens some 57 years later the escape shuttle was picked up by a deep salvage team hoping to claim possession of the "wreckage." They discovered that Ripley was still alive. Ripley has an interview before a panel of executives from her employer, the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. She gives them the coordinates to the Derelict. So the distress signal obviously stopped some time ago. Then Ripley finds out there is a colony on LV 426, and the colony never came into contact with any hostile organisms. 

So the company never knew the exact location of the Derelict, they only knew it was on or near LV 426. The Company probably listed the Nostromo as 'missing', but they may have sent an investigative crew to the planet, landed on the opposite side from where the derelict ship landed, and found nothing. Another possibility is that the Company may have wanted to cover up the entire incident. An elaborate investigation into the disappearance of the Nostromo might have revealed that they sacrificed the crew in order to obtain a specimen of the Alien. In order to protect the Company, they may have buried the incident until there was an opportunity to have the colonists on LV-426 take a look. It's possible that the Company may actually have sent the colonists to LV-426 for just that purpose. Later on Ripley finds out that Burke was the one who deliberately sent the colonists to investigate the derelict ship after hearing about it from Ripley's testimony.

So Burk acted alone by sending the colonist the coordinates to the derelict, but it is possible that the company was also still interested in the in it because they put the colony on LV 426.

Is this right so far?  If so then I hope it answers some of questions and confusion going around here.

SiL

SiL

Ash was authorized to bring something back by any means necessary. The actions of the Company in the first film don't speak to a group of people who know about the Alien.

The Company didn't put the colony there to check for the derelict. LV-426 is a planetoid; it wouldn't take 57 years to find it if they'd been inclined to look.

bleau

bleau

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2011, 08:50:20 AM
Ash was authorized to bring something back by any means necessary. The actions of the Company in the first film don't speak to a group of people who know about the Alien.

The Company didn't put the colony there to check for the derelict. LV-426 is a planetoid; it wouldn't take 57 years to find it if they'd been inclined to look.

They were put there, but never given instructions to look. Perhaps the company wanted them to discover it on their own, so that it would appear that the company had no knowledge of it. IDK. Besides it was in an area of volcanic activity I thought, making it an unlikely place to find it.

StrangeShape

I think WY either 1) changed the management 2) rerouting Nostromo was only a behind the curtains plan of one or very few individuals, like with Burke 3) After Nostromo disappeared everyone got scared and washed their hands and didnt want to touch it anymore

SM

SM

QuoteSo Initially the company knew something was there on LV 426. They knew because its beacon repeated every 12 seconds. The Company heard and deciphered the beacon some time prior to the Nostromo's trek to retrieve ore from Thedus.

More or less.

QuoteTwo weeks before the Nostromo set "sail", the Company replaced the old science officer with Ash, whom they have preprogrammed to enact their plan of retrieving and protecting the alien life form. They then re-routed the Nostromo to the same area. They knew that the Nostromo would pick up the distress signal and, according to Company regulations, would be forced to respond to it, and Ash would be there to make sure that the mission was carried out.

Mostly.  Ash was assigned two days before they left Thedus.  It's debatable that Ash was 'preprogrammed'.  He was simply a machine doing what he was told.

QuoteThen accessing the ship's computer, Ripley discovers that Ash has been ordered to return the Alien to the Nostromo's corporate employers even at the expense of the crew. So now the Company knows about the Alien and how dangerous it is right?

No, they know that because they sent a tug to check a transmission that turned out to be a warning, it was likely something hostile would be there, rather than something benign.  There's nothing to show they knew about the Alien with a capital A.

The rest of your post is speculatory in terms of what happened after.

I look at in the same way that of ye olde sailing ships.  Ships used to get lost at sea all the time.  No one investigated or looked for them becuase in most instances it was utterly futile.  Same with a ship being lost in space.  Insurance would've covered the loss (assuming no one found out about SO 937 - which they didn't).

As far as the colony was concerned - if the Company knew about the Alien there's no reason for the company to wait 57 years to try and exploit it.  Alien3 bears this out.

bleau

bleau

^Thanks, now I totally understand the facts, time line and get it.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Infected on Apr 03, 2011, 12:00:43 PM
Ive always believed that they are far superior to humans because they feel things and like a sixth sense we have they have too and when they are moved by something like mechanics they feel they know they get activated.
But as long as there a 4 different movies on them yes you could be right.

It's the exact same logic as a bomb-defusing robot. We have the technology to make something like this now. Of course we'd be able to in 150 years.

pred169

Has anyone taken into consideration that maybe they weren't after the alien in Alien 3, but were after the queen in Ripley?
Yes, they sent word to Andrews that a rescue team was on their way. But as soon as the datastream from the EEV was received, (which was instantaneous and further proves my theory that the company has a communication link with each of its ships and that they have known all along). As soon as the datastream was received, the arrival time jumped from a week to expected arrival in two hours!
So... I think (a.) THAT team wasn't the rescue team that was sent, I think that was a science team that was already in that sector. (B.) They weren't there for the dog alien, they were there for the queen. It just seems more logical.

And as seen in Alien resurrection, (god I can't believe I'm referencing that stupid movie...gag), it's not unheard of for a company to do experimentation illegally, hidden in deep space.

StrangeShape

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 15, 2011, 02:38:06 PM

So... I think (a.) THAT team wasn't the rescue team that was sent, I think that was a science team that was already in that sector.

And conveniently had Bishop's designer on it for RIpley?

Quote(B.) They weren't there for the dog alien, they were there for the queen.

Nah. They brought cages and were dressed like the dog catchers in anti-biting suits. They were there for the Runner as well

QuoteIt just seems more logical.

First of all nobody knew WHEN exactly the rescue team will aririve. The "weeks" thing was just a "maybe" from Clemens, it wasnt something given. They said theyre on their way. When they were close enough (2 hours) they announced that theyre closing in.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 15, 2011, 02:38:06 PM

So... I think (a.) THAT team wasn't the rescue team that was sent, I think that was a science team that was already in that sector. (B.) They weren't there for the dog alien, they were there for the queen. It just seems more logical.

Whether or not it was the intention of the scriptwriters, it seems to be that way.

pred169

Ok, first of all bishops creator being there can be explained easily. The man designed an android... I think knowing that, we can safely assume he was a part of the science team. And that team was probably rerouted from it's present location  once the sensors on board the sulaco detected an alien moving around on board.

And as far as the cage, I don't think that was a cage. It looked more like a stretcher. And the first thing spoken by anyone on that team was "where's Ripley, is she still alive". Which indicated to me that they really weren't to concerned about the hell hound. As far as your "bite suits", (nicely put by the way), it was probably the most advanced body armor available. Just in case.

As far as the time frame goes, Andrews made the comment during his "rumor control" briefing. That he had requested a rescue team and that "hopefully they would be there inside of a week". I'm only guessing here but when he was communicating with the company via computer terminal, I would think that they gave him an estimated arrival time.
I don't think they would say they were going to arrive in about a week and then show up the same day. That's like ordering a pizza and being told expect delivery between thirty minutes to six days.  I think they can be a little more precise than that.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 15, 2011, 07:50:25 PM
Ok, first of all bishops creator being there can be explained easily. The man designed an android... I think knowing that, we can safely assume he was a part of the science team. And that team was probably rerouted from it's present location  once the sensors on board the sulaco detected an alien moving around on board.

Its still a major reaching. A big name like Mike Bishop JUST happens to be , for some reason, on a rescue mission instead of sitting in the office and so incredibly convenient being close to Ripley who had good experiences with Bishop? And conveniently had a surgeon team on? Im sorry, but thats a stretch I cant make

QuoteAnd as far as the cage, I don't think that was a cage. It looked more like a stretcher. And the first thing spoken by anyone on that team was "where's Ripley, is she still alive". Which indicated to me that they really weren't to concerned about the hell hound. As far as your "bite suits", (nicely put by the way), it was probably the most advanced body armor available. Just in case.

What they brought was a cage, and we know from Aliens that what they wore wasnt a standard armor and it was obviously an anti-animal biting suits - http://weyland-yutaniarchives.blogspot.com/2009/09/dog-catcher-commandos-of-alien-3.html

QuoteAs far as the time frame goes, Andrews made the comment during his "rumor control" briefing. That he had requested a rescue team and that "hopefully they would be there inside of a week". I'm only guessing here but when he was communicating with the company via computer terminal, I would think that they gave him an estimated arrival time.

First of all, Andrews himself says he ASSUMED theyll be here within a week. It seems they said theyre sending someone immediately and he assume its gonna be a week. Clemens restates that when he also says that week is his guess and ETA is unknown.
Secondly, its obvious they were asking for Ripley first because she had a Queen inside, but they received that info while they were on their way already. But they went on to pick up Ripley and alien. Thats why they had team dressed up for capturing and fighting alien, thats why they had a surgical team (who received the scan fro Sulaco showing Ripley getting impregnated) and why a friendly face was sent, and such a big shot suit

bleau

bleau

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 15, 2011, 08:23:30 PM

Its still a major reaching. A big name like Mike Bishop JUST happens to be , for some reason, on a rescue mission instead of sitting in the office and so incredibly convenient being close to Ripley who had good experiences with Bishop? And conveniently had a surgeon team on? Im sorry, but thats a stretch I cant make

I'm not sure whats being debated hear, but Bishop was the science team. He even say's to Ripley "you must let me have it, it's a magnificent specimen". I got the impression that he wanted the Alien more then anything. :)

StrangeShape

Quote from: bleau on Apr 15, 2011, 10:05:37 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 15, 2011, 08:23:30 PM

I'm not sure whats being debated hear, but Bishop was the science team. He even say's to Ripley "you must let me have it, it's a magnificent specimen". I got the impression that he wanted the Alien more then anything. :)

The point is that Bishop was a big name who went after the alien personally, he didnt just happen to be around on another mission and drop by Fury

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed