Last TV Show You Watched

Started by Predator Queen, Mar 29, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

Author
Last TV Show You Watched (Read 497,967 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: First Blood on Sep 12, 2014, 07:36:00 PMAs for the character of Mike, doesn't he become Deathlok?

Yup, little by little. Also, almost time for Paxton to make his entrance. 8)

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Shasvre on Sep 12, 2014, 07:43:30 PM

Ah yes. Been gleefully waiting for that.  ;D

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: First Blood on Sep 12, 2014, 07:44:41 PM
Quote from: Shasvre on Sep 12, 2014, 07:43:30 PM
Ah yes. Been gleefully waiting for that.  ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Well, ignore my question abut which episode you're up to in the AoS thread. :D

Just go give a bit of context, it was a month's wait between The Bridge and The Magical Place on TV. :P :'(

First Blood

First Blood

Agents of Shield

Seeds
Tracks
T.A.H.I.T.I.

Great bunch of episodes. Well, maybe not the one with the giant weather machine but the last two were great. Paxton made his debut as Garret and he's awesome. I really liked that episode.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Tracks was one of my favorite episodes. I liked the nonlinear story. Not to mention May in that catsuit. ;D

Spoiler
Also, Skye getting shot like that was surprisingly brutal for AoS.
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Spoiler
Yeah when she was bleeding all over the place and going pale, that was pretty hard to swallow. :(
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Spoiler
So, what do you think our blue friend in the tube is?
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Spoiler
A Kree.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Seems to be the most popular guess going around. :D

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Eva on Sep 11, 2014, 08:57:27 PM
Quote from: Vertigo on Sep 10, 2014, 08:17:14 PM
Spoiler
-Very dispiriting knowing how many of these characters are going to be killed off. I know Eko was written out because the actor didn't like life in Hawaii (presenting a MASSIVE loss to the show), and I think Boone's death had been planned for story reasons. Charlie's death felt natural to the story, too. But does anybody know why Shannon, Michael, Ana-Lucia, Claire and Libby were written out?
Seems like such a waste of time getting to know these people only to know it's going to be meaningless in the long run.
[close]
Spoiler
Well, strictly speaking a lot of these characters weren't 'written out'. They just 'died' at certain intervals to move the plot along and to offer opportunities for the main characters to evolve, react etc. But in LOST - just because you're dead, it doesn't mean you're not coming back in one way or the other in future episodes. ;)
[close]

Lost spoilers

Eko's barely ever mentioned after he died, and though they did try to bring the actor back later, that plan fell through.
I'm just up to that point in Lost right now (early season 3). It does change things a lot when you're watching episodes back to back, rather than week by week over a period of years. When these characters died, back in the day, it felt like every minute you'd spent getting to know the intricacies of their backstory was a waste of time - time that you'd much rather was spent advancing the story. It was hugely frustrating.

However, back-to-back watching reveals that we only spent a tiny percentage of the show's overall running time delving into these characters, and it feels natural to the pace of the show. Eko gets three episodes including his death, Shannon and Boone just got one each. In 20+ episode seasons, it's a drop in the ocean.
Moreover, these deaths generally have a point that needed to be made. Eko's death shows what the smoke monster is really after - judging the survivors to find out who's worthy. His whole character aligns perfectly to making this point, and Mr Eko as a whole is basically one strand of that particular story arc.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

LOST Season Four

EDIT: Vertigo and Eva, how late in the show are the spoilers you're discussing above? I'm hesitant to click on the tags. :D

Shasvre

Shasvre

Vertigo is early Season 3, it says. No spoilers beyond Season 4, as far as I can see.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Yup, nothing that'll bother you at your stage. The spoiler tags are basically there for web users of ten years from now, who were too young to see the show when it aired, and somehow came up with this thread on their Gogle search (future Google will decide that cutting one of their letters will decrease search times by 1/6th) to find out why their dad calls their mum Freckles.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Vertigo on Sep 14, 2014, 12:28:30 AM
Yup, nothing that'll bother you at your stage. The spoiler tags are basically there for web users of ten years from now, who were too young to see the show when it aired, and somehow came up with this thread on their Gogle search (future Google will decide that cutting one of their letters will decrease search times by 1/6th) to find out why their dad calls their mum Freckles.

:D

I started watching the show with friends last summer. We made it midway through season 5 and I was absolutely loving it. Unfortunately, summer ended, school started, and we just weren't able to get together as frequently to finish up the show, so it just kind of fell through after that point. We tried again this summer, made it through most of season one, and then like last year the plans fell through.

I got Netflix a month ago and, immediately after, decided I'd be better off just watching the show myself. So hear I am. I started over (yet again!), watching the show at my own pace, and just finished season four tonight. I have to say, watching the episodes back to back to back like this seems like the absolute best format for a show like this. I'm sure it was great (or frustrating, depending on the person) letting the mysteries stir week after week for months at a time while the show was on air, but marathoning through it like this gives the show a really great pace to it while still allowing all of the mysteries and revelations to really sink in.

There is so much to the show that I am picking up on this time that makes me so glad I started from the beginning again rather than just jump into the middle of season five where I left off. There are so many little details early on in the series that, like you said, make some of the events in the latter seasons feel much more like natural extensions from where the show began. There are obviously certain things that were altered for one reason or another without a definite plan in mind (Walt, for example), but the broad strokes for a lot of the really heavy mythology seems to have been set up from the beginning. And on the flipside, a lot of later events are giving whole new meanings to earlier events in the series. Both the emotional beats (especially a lot of the events in season four, which brought tears to my eyes even on this second viewing) and the heavy mythology really seem to be benefiting from this rewatch.

I feel like I'm rambling without much of a point, but I that's all I'm really going to be able to do for now, until I finally finish the show. The puzzle pieces are scattered all over in my head right now, and while I'm beginning to piece them together with what I learned from what I've rewatched and what I remember from the first seven episodes of season 5 (I saw up to 'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham'), I definitely don't have all of the information just yet. Hope what I said at least kind of makes sense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed