Is Scar's clan the same as Dachande's (Broken Tusk's) clan from AVP Prey?

Started by predxeno, Mar 23, 2011, 01:09:30 PM

Author
Is Scar's clan the same as Dachande's (Broken Tusk's) clan from AVP Prey? (Read 13,400 times)

OmegaZilla

If they're deleted, they're deleted.
They're not in the final product. AvP never showed any of these things I mentioned - nor implied them.
The novelization differs from the film on these points - and everyone that SiL mentions in the post I quoted -, when, in-universe, it's supposed to represent the same event, with the same characters and same events. We can't have two versions of a thing.

Quote from: SM on Mar 24, 2011, 03:32:13 AMDeleted scenes and concepts are 'plot points'?
Storyline events/story details then?

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 24, 2011, 03:57:22 AM
If it's in the novelization, it's a deleted/alternate/extended scene in my book, not concepts.
You can't delete two Predators completely from the film. From the start we know that they are three. Three pods land on the Surface of Antarctica. Three Predators attack the mercenaries in the camp. Three Predators run in the Pyramid. Three Predators are seen in the film. Where are the other two? Simple answer: in Alien Vs. Predator there are not five Predators. Just three.
Same with the full-grown Predalien - no fourth Predator to be facehugged, no Predalien.

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Mar 24, 2011, 04:13:24 AM
But that means making a judgement that would render one half of the events non-canon.

Meaning it's not all canon, and not all of it happened. Or maybe my logics are not strong enough.
Precisely. You either take one thing, or take the other. And films have priority.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 24, 2011, 01:02:14 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 24, 2011, 03:57:22 AM
If it's in the novelization, it's a deleted/alternate/extended scene in my book, not concepts.
You can't delete two Predators completely from the film. From the start we know that they are three. Three pods land on the Surface of Antarctica. Three Predators attack the mercenaries in the camp. Three Predators run in the Pyramid. Three Predators are seen in the film. Where are the other two? Simple answer: in Alien Vs. Predator there are not five Predators. Just three.
Same with the full-grown Predalien - no fourth Predator to be facehugged, no Predalien.

I could make a lot of similar arguments arguing why there were no sentry guns in Aliens just cause the novelization said there were and not the film, then that argument would have been defeated when the Special Edition came out.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No, you couldn't.
Because the sentry guns are limited to one scene. We'd be supposed to see 5 Predators through the whole duration of AvP. And we don't. We see 3. There's not even the implication of 2 more Predators.
And the Predalien. No Predalien.
And Gridalien. There's no Gridalien when we see the explosion coming on the surface. In the novelization he's blown to pieces - like in the original script - when he reaches the surface. In the film, he doesn't.
You can't retcon these things.

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 24, 2011, 06:10:13 PM
No, you couldn't.
Because the sentry guns are limited to one scene. We'd be supposed to see 5 Predators through the whole duration of AvP. And we don't. We see 3. There's not even the implication of 2 more Predators.
And the Predalien. No Predalien.
And Gridalien. There's no Gridalien when we see the explosion coming on the surface. In the novelization he's blown to pieces - like in the original script - when he reaches the surface. In the film, he doesn't.
You can't retcon these things.

Wanna bet he can't ?  ;)

predxeno

The contradicting scenes in the novelization could be alternate scenes like the alternate bambiburster scene for Alien 3 that came from an ox rather than a dog.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

...Which take place in two different continuities, too.

predxeno

I always considered them 2 accounts of the same incident.

EDIT: Where do people get the idea that 2 editions of the same story are 2 different continuities?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

We get that idea because you know, the Runner can't switch parent. It either came out of a Dog, or it came out of an Ox. It can't come from both. So there are two continuities. In one, it comes out of the Dog. In the other, it comes out of the Ox.
Also didn't you say that the Ox Alien looks like this?

;D

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 24, 2011, 08:14:07 PM
I always considered them 2 accounts of the same incident.

EDIT: Where do people get the idea that 2 editions of the same story are 2 different continuities?

Where do people get the idea that two editions of the same story are two accounts of the same incident? And no, Star Wars continuity doesn't apply here.

predxeno

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 24, 2011, 08:20:13 PM
We get that idea because you know, the Runner can't switch parent. It either came out of a Dog, or it came out of an Ox. It can't come from both. So there are two continuities. In one, it comes out of the Dog. In the other, it comes out of the Ox.
Also didn't you say that the Ox Alien looks like this?
http://images.wikia.com/aliens/images/7/75/FigBullLoose1a.jpg
;D

Yeah, I did say the bull alien looks like that so clearly the chestburster from Alien 3 had to have come out of a dog, but that doesn't mean that other events that took place in the Special Edition or the novelization (both of which depicted the burster coming out of an ox) couldn't have happened.  One could still fit scenes in both of those accounts in with what happened in the theatrical release and comic adaptation.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yes, they could have, but they did not, because of those differences. If one version doesn't depict a certain point, that point, in this version (thus in the continuity this version is), does not exist. End.

SM

Five Predators?
Three Predators?
You can't explain that.

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 24, 2011, 08:39:32 PM
Yeah, I did say the bull alien looks like that so clearly the chestburster from Alien 3 had to have come out of a dog
But the Alien was designed to have come from the Ox, so if deleted concepts are canon -- Is, indeed, concept art canon? -- then bull Aliens look small and skinny.

predxeno

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 24, 2011, 08:46:08 PM
Yes, they could have, but they did not, because of those differences. If one version doesn't depict a certain point, that point, in this version (thus in the continuity this version is), does not exist. End.

That's what you keep saying, but where does this line of thought come from?  Is it from the same place that says EU isn't canon?

Quote from: SM on Mar 24, 2011, 10:20:43 PM
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/wp-content/uploads/bill-oreilly.jpg

Five Predators?
Three Predators?
You can't explain that.

I just did with my explanation of alternate scenes.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 24, 2011, 10:40:44 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 24, 2011, 08:39:32 PM
Yeah, I did say the bull alien looks like that so clearly the chestburster from Alien 3 had to have come out of a dog
But the Alien was designed to have come from the Ox, so if deleted concepts are canon -- Is, indeed, concept art canon? -- then bull Aliens look small and skinny.

No, I don't consider concept art as canon.

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 24, 2011, 10:43:03 PM
That's what you keep saying, but where does this line of thought come from?
It's called logic. You might want to try using it? :P

QuoteI just did with my explanation of alternate scenes.
1. Way to miss the joke.
2. No. No you didn't. Please, please stop deluding yourself.

QuoteNo, I don't consider concept art as canon.
You're a humourless son of a bitch, aren't you?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed