21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 953,578 times)

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 02, 2013, 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 02, 2013, 05:59:42 PM
A lot of practical effects get blamed for being CGI, even when they're not and vice versa! 'Resident Evil' and the Licker creature would be a case in point - often accused of being CGI, but was practical.
This one catches me by surprise. It wasn't? Not even the final shot of it being sucked into the railway?

I believe that (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and it's tongue were the only CGI during that specific scene. Most of it was an animatronic puppet.

Quote from: AlienĀ³ on Jul 02, 2013, 06:29:30 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 02, 2013, 06:23:03 PM
Quote from: AlienĀ³ on Jul 02, 2013, 06:13:19 PM
How are they ugly? The CGI looks like what it's supposed to be
A cartoonish eyesore? Mission accomplished then!

You're right, must have been done with one big red button marked push for cartoon robot. ;)

pls Bay bring him back one more time... ;-;

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Scorponok should play every Transformer ever at the same time.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 02, 2013, 06:49:50 PM
SCORPONOKS RAGE THEIR
BATTLE
TO
DESTROY
THE EVIL
FORCES
OF...
THE SCORPONOKS

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: RazorSlash on Jul 02, 2013, 06:50:55 PM
SCORPONOKS RAGE THEIR
BATTLE
TO
DESTROY
THE EVIL
FORCES
OF...
THE SCORPONOKS

YUS.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: RazorSlash on Jul 02, 2013, 06:50:55 PM
SCORPONOKS RAGE THEIR
BATTLE
TO
DESTROY
THE EVIL
FORCES
OF...
THE SCORPONOKS
EXACTLY

Scorponoptimus Prime VS Scorpotron. YES.

FUND THIS SHIT NOW.

NotSafeZone

Sylizar

Sylizar

Haha, YES!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The thing about robots is that they look best when not over-engineered. The stuff out of 'Transformers' films? Those ones are hideously over-complicated, with the exception of a few designs. They psychologically confuse most viewers because of there being too much detail flying around in front of the screen at speeds which are too quick to register.

Stuff like you see for the original 'Robocop' (both Robocop and the ED-209) and 'Terminator' films are a lot better. The mechanics look functional. They're recognisable as something which has been engineered to move in the way they do - mostly because the people who built the suits and puppets had to account for the range of movement. :)

Something like the big screen incarnation of Megatron? It's got spikes all over it for no good reason. It doesn't look logical. Then the director has it move around and connecting with lots of other needlessly over-complicated things at very high speeds and it gets difficult for the average person to figure out what's going on.

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 02, 2013, 06:22:34 PM
This one catches me by surprise. It wasn't? Not even the final shot of it being sucked into the railway?

Don't know about the specifics of that, but can remember Anderson speaking about how he always catches heat from RE fans about it being bad CGI when it was actually practical.

On the other hand, look at the arachnid warriors from 'Starship Troopers'. Horridly superficial film, but the CGI work on them was excellent.

Spoiler

Never forget.
[close]

I know - wish they'd kept that in! Looked like a genuine extraterrestrial creature...

I mean, in strictly biological terms, there are evolutionary rules which dictate the humanoid form is going to be the most likely for a space-travelling civilisation, but as something meant to look like something from another planet, that thing there is a work of art.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The design does have opposable thumbs at least (as you can see from other photos).

You hit the nail in the head. People think Transformers look 'fake' because they're overdetailed; but every single piece is put there very photorealistically.

Your comment also made me want a giant super-armored ED-209 to take down Monsters in the sequel of this film...

scarhunter92

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Vickers on Jul 02, 2013, 06:27:23 PM
CGI is an art form, yes - nobody is denying that. Too bad a lot of the time it looks shit.

So... just like every single other artform, then.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 02, 2013, 08:26:27 PM
Quote from: Vickers on Jul 02, 2013, 06:27:23 PM
CGI is an art form, yes - nobody is denying that. Too bad a lot of the time it looks shit.

So... just like every single other artform, then.

Pretty much.

King Rathalos

Dovahkiin

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed