The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 193,163 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Surprisingly I agree a bit. He should be channeled at the very least. Some of the sketches I saw associated with the project were also too 'fantasy' in the sense of the men's clothes. I think Lovecraft films should have very grounded down men facing unimaginable things -- not men with bizarre clothes and stuff like that. That was a strong aspect of many Lovecraft stories. Standard, middle class men, with their lives led by reason and thought, going against things that challenge their knowledge and make the ground of their mind shake.

I of course do not expect a 100% faithful adaptation of Lovecraft's story, but I think there are some key aspects to be mantained in order to keep the vibe. It's not the same thing as Hellboy where where we have many Lovecraftian concepts, but the film is allowed to have Hellboy's general character attitude and other things because it's an independent work -- there are some great winks to Lovecraft of course -- it's its own thing.

Mountains is a full-blown adaptation and should mantain some important things from the novel. I really don't understand the fixation on the creation aspect, as another example. Lovecraft never gave it any importance; it occupies two or three lines of the novel at best. It's not even explicit or made certain -- just lightly suggested. That's because it is not the focus of the story at all. And the fact Prometheus went all out with creation themes is all the more of a reason to just let that idea go.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

I think the way he handled Hellboy should give you an idea of how he goes about adapting other works, including Lovecraft. He's not afraid of changing things to further explore the ideas interest him. Personally, I trust the guy who made Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. I'd love to see Mountains, as well as his take on Frankenstein (probably his ultimate dream project).

As for Prometheus, I think del Toro said it best -
QuoteThe filmmaker did say earlier this year that he was worried that Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" could have too much overlap with story and tone, the film dealt with a lot of the same issue that 'Mountains Of Madness' does. But that was before he saw the film. Del Toro caught up with it and is no longer concerned. "Not really, I saw it finally and.. yes, there are things in common, but, you know, screw it. Lovecraft was there first," he laughed.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/guillermo-del-toro-says-hes-trying-to-mount-mountains-of-madness-one-more-says-the-hulk-tv-show-is-possibly-dormant-20130107?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Had a go at drawing Cthulhu today:

Spoiler

[close]

Sabby

Sabby

Wow, I really love your art style. Not sure how I feel about the skeletal design, but it's certainly different.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I like that a lot, man! Cool stuff!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Looks great, Cancerblack. :)

enypsrozar

enypsrozar

I remember playing an infinitely hard puzzle adventure called The Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet but I never finished it. that's the problem with hard games, no one can be bothered to finish them.

Shasvre

Shasvre

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

An interesting Lovecraft inspired movie I saw recently was 'Occult' by Kôji Shiraishi. Worth a look if you have a spare hour or so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNfzcbsFc0 (for no apparent reason it's labelled 'The Unidentified' in this series).

I reckon this film nails it, apart from its obvious flaws. If you watch it (and make it to the end) I would be keen to hear your thoughts.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Feb 05, 2014, 06:58:49 AM
Had a go at drawing Cthulhu today:

Spoiler

[close]
Very nice. I like it!

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 07, 2014, 09:39:48 AM

This is one of the best I've seen. Very spooky, very eerie, and the choice of colour is ideal.

Cvalda

Cvalda

hnnnng

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Wish the wings were bigger. :P Otherwise.. f**king A. :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

The wings are described as "vestigial", so if anything they should be scrawnier :P

Sabby

Sabby

Does anyone know a good Lovecraft art book? I watched a documentary on him and some of the illustrations were fantastic. I'd love a book of them for my shelf, but I'm not finding much info online. The few books out there that look like they could be right don't really explain their contents very well.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

hummm... wish they could be something more similar to the wings of Wayne Barlowe's fallen angels

Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed