Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
27 (56.3%)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
41 (85.4%)
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
29 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author
The Epic Star Wars Saga: The Poll (Read 10,888 times)

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 02:32:39 AM
If you watch the 'redlettermedia' reviews

This is where I stopped reading. The next time I hear about that Red Letter Media bullshit I'm going to roll up my sleeves and publish my own forty hour critical response, if no one else will stand up for these films. Good lord.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Lol! Chillax my friend, I love SW but I did find his observations very amusing and insightful.

Didn't I mention the casting of Don Cheadle or Denzel Washington awhile back as Windu? Am I the only person to think that Jackson was a poor choice? A matter of big name status over quality? Opinions please...

That Yellow Alien

He wanted to be in Star Wars, so Lucas let him.

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 02:45:26 AM
Lol! Chillax my friend, I love SW but I did find his observations very amusing and insightful.

Didn't I mention the casting of Don Cheadle or Denzel Washington awhile back as Windu? Am I the only person to think that Jackson was a poor choice? A matter of big name status over quality? Opinions please...

No chillaxing, Star Wars is my flesh and blood. Enemy at the f**king gates.

Jackson was fantastic. Rule of cool, any other casting would have been missing the point of the character.

Tangakkai

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 02:45:26 AM

Jackson definitely didn't have the presence of a Jedi at all, Denzel Washington would have been a better choice and given a bit more credibilty to the jedi  council. A council that is nothing short of an embarassment to what I hoped the jedi would have been after watching Episode 1.

As for Samuel L. Jackson again, I just see in every moment of the movie how uncomfortable he is in that role. Especially in the scenes with Yoda, you could think he has a remote detonator on the back of his head, making it impossible to act freely. Of course, some horrid directing from Lucas' side must have done the rest of the damage.

Hubbs

Hubbs

^^ Take a deep breath, slow down, wipe the sweat from your brow ;)

I think that reason is exactly why Jackson shouldn't have been Mace, it's not about being cool but being a spiritual leader and warrior, this isn't 'Kick Ass' we're talking about, I think the role needed a more serious casting, more gravitas and wisdom basically. Jackson looked the part but his personality isn't right, a young Morgan Freeman would have been perfect in an ideal world, but for me Washington would have done it spot on, he looks strong and worldly, wise and epic.

^ Your right about him looking uncomfortable too, in the greenscreen shots and lightsaber fights he looks hilariously bad. Again I must refer to 'redlettermedia' as he made a valid point, Lucas only cast Jackson to appeal to a young audience (mainly black obviously)...hence the 'cool' factor rears its ugly head again.

grands0nz0rz

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 19, 2011, 02:38:01 AM
Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 02:32:39 AM
If you watch the 'redlettermedia' reviews

This is where I stopped reading. The next time I hear about that Red Letter Media bullshit I'm going to roll up my sleeves and publish my own forty hour critical response, if no one else will stand up for these films. Good lord.

behead those who insult Star Wars.

Tangakkai

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 02:57:38 AM
he looks strong and worldly, wise and epic.

Oh he would have been one awesome jedi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb_9icqB1SA#noexternalembed-ws

If he could pull of a mixture between jesus and blade, he'll definitely would have had the thing for a wise jedi master on the same level of consciousness as Yoda.

Hubbs

Hubbs

^ Exactly, if Lucas had cast Wesley Snipes in the role it would have been wrong, cool yes but wrong, same with Jackson, as I said it's not really about being cool when playing a Jedi Master. Don't wanna repeat myself but Lucas only cast Jackson as he was a big name and would attract the young/black/teen audience who know Jackson from ultra cool films like 'Pulp Fiction', hence he wanted and opted for the 'cool' Jedi, in my eyes one of many mistakes with the prequels.

Sharp Sticks

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 03:14:10 AM
^ Exactly, if Lucas had cast Wesley Snipes in the role it would have been wrong, cool yes but wrong, same with Jackson, as I said it's not really about being cool when playing a Jedi Master. Don't wanna repeat myself but Lucas only cast Jackson as he was a big name and would attract the young/black/teen audience who know Jackson from ultra cool films like 'Pulp Fiction', hence he wanted and opted for the 'cool' Jedi, in my eyes one of many mistakes with the prequels.
I present you with the award for worst post of the day.

Hubbs

Hubbs

^ LOL! but I'm not wrong am I ;)

Sharp Sticks

Yes, you are. That's why we're saying it's the worst post of the day.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Come on, your telling me Jackson is a better choice than Washington for Mace? Really? Pointless argument I know but I'm willing to bet any money that Washington would of been more 'epic'.

And your telling me you DON'T think Lucas cast Jackson to get the teen audience more interested? Or simply to add a hip cool big name to the prequels??

Sharp Sticks

I accept cash and credit via Paypal. Have a nice day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed