Mass Effect

Started by Space Sweeper, Dec 12, 2010, 01:46:57 AM

Author
Mass Effect (Read 425,499 times)

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 10, 2019, 12:04:10 AM
The Old One's a Singleplayer person.  :)

For me, after I have beaten all aspects and paths of an RPG...I need something...more. consequently, playing alone is fun...but playing with others (who you know) is even more fun. Especially when hilarity ensues and you bond as a group killing other players or other NPC enemies.

The Old One

The Old One

Singleplayer immersion conquers Mulitplayer's fluctuation, IMO.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 10, 2019, 04:25:36 PM

I agree with this statement.

The Old One

The Old One

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 10, 2019, 02:33:47 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Mar 10, 2019, 12:04:10 AM
The Old One's a Singleplayer person.  :)

For me, after I have beaten all aspects and paths of an RPG...I need something...more. consequently, playing alone is fun...but playing with others (who you know) is even more fun. Especially when hilarity ensues and you bond as a group killing other players or other NPC enemies.

Back when Left 4 Dead was released, I thought it would be a foundation for the next generation of singleplayer games. Each playthrough would have enemies attacking at different times and in different places, different concentrations of enemies, different pickup locations, maybe even different level layouts and reactive characters. All governed by an AI 'director' to keep things fresh and react to how the player's doing. This way, a linear game can be fresh every time you play it.

We've seen a *little* bit of that (Alien Isolation has an AI director to make sure the player isn't excessively pressured), but generally... I think developers ambitious enough to do something like that are now mostly making microtransaction-based online games.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Here's my problem with that;

1.) The same lines of predictable dialogue get stale after a while. NPCs are limited in what they/say do.

2.) NPC Encounters get stale after the 100th time. Fighting other players is...unique. No two players interact with you the same way. Especially in a game like the Division. I've had people surrender to me and do the/handsup emote. I've had a whole gagglef**k of Rogue agents t-bag the hell out of me. You NEVER know what the encounter will bring. Hemmingway said it best.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Now I won't say that's all I care about. I enjoy a good story over everything else. That's what kept me in Titanfall 1. Despite being PvP ONLY the game had a good story.

Just my two cents on it. May I ask why you don't like those types of games? Bad group experiences? Peer pressure?....???

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 11, 2019, 02:27:10 AM

Just my two cents on it. May I ask why you don't like those types of games? Bad group experiences? Peer pressure? ... ???

No.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 11, 2019, 02:31:04 AM

Just my two cents on it. May I ask why you don't like those types of games? Bad group experiences? Peer pressure? ... ???

No.

No?

Local Trouble

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 11, 2019, 02:32:48 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Mar 11, 2019, 02:31:04 AM

No.

No?

No.  Honesty.  :-X Apologies.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you ever try ME3 MP?

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, because of the Achievement and Crucible preparations.

Samhain13

Samhain13

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Yeah this. I have been a singleplayer only guy since I was a kid, but then after trying multiplayer on some games and seeing how unique and unexpected it can always be made me into it. I still see a multiplayer as a kind of an "extra", I evaluate games by their story mode but in certain games the multiplayer was able to surpass its singleplayer.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 11, 2019, 02:44:04 AM
Yes, because of the Achievement and Crucible preparations.

Yeah, me too.  I enjoyed it anyway.

The Old One

The Old One

A replay's required, I believe.  :)
Of the original and perhaps 2 & 3.
Best DLC for a videogame trilogy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed