Omega's thread of... things

Started by OmegaZilla, Nov 06, 2010, 12:16:39 PM

Author
Omega's thread of... things (Read 66,447 times)

Bat Chain Puller

To be attacked and killed by either one of these would be a good death.

Good to see you back at the drawing board. It's been awhile. It's like going to the beach and waiting for some strange and beautiful sea carcass to wash ashore and ignite your imagination about what lives beneath the waves. In this case, the waves of your posts.

Not disappointed with the flotsam of your efforts this night.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: Omegazilla on Aug 24, 2013, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 09, 2013, 09:02:36 PM
On your desk you say? lol A mans gotta to what a mans gotta do.
Gets pretty boring within the first hour of lesson!

My scanner is currently dead, and to scan things I go to a local shop. Here is a pair of designs I have recently cooked up; they are based on a third-party written description, and have names -- but that's kinda classified. 

Copy and paste the image URL to another window to get them in full resolution (not as good as my scanner.. but w/e).

Also in the spoilers you can read about the design process. If you are interested. Here they are:

A Nightmare Wolf sort of thing:

Spoiler
QuoteBased on the words, which mentioned a covering of fur, long claws, a long tail and bright red eyes, as well as "howls that couldn't come elsewhere than the underworld," I elaborated a generally emaciated creature, with thin yet muscular limbs. Given the subtle underworld connection, the head is based on the skull of a wolf, and mantains an open nasal hole. This is the kind of wolf that would welcome you to hell, you know?

I also included obviously larger claws... and a rather long, almost whip-like tail, as well as subtle anatomical details of Thylacines that are likely to go unnoticed.

All in all a nice exercise in rendering a mammalian design.
[close]

A Reptilian Predator:

Spoiler
Quote[The description] mentioned a scaly, reptilian and Dragon-esque creature, with a big back, a 'mane' of red spikes or quills, as well as a long muscular tail.

Working from there, I elaborated a general layout that combines a Crocodile with a Monitor Lizard. I imagined this animal to be some kind of charging brute, so I gave it the limb attachment of Rauisuchian Archosaurs (it is also mentioned that the creature is very rare and allegedly extinct), in order for it to run more efficiently. The limbs are muscular and armored, with long and exaggerated Lizard-type claws. This guy would effortlessly tear to shreds any prey of its size range (or even bigger!).

Given this Monster breathes fire (you can even see some smoke-y breath coming out of the nostril), I imagined it'd have a throat sac that would engorge and then unleash a fiery hell upon a prey or opponent. The underside of the neck is mainly based on Crocodiles, with soft and square-shaped scales; a row of dewlap thorns taken from a green Iguana served as a final touch.

The head was the most interesting part (as most of the times is the case) to design. I started from a triangle, to which I added a strong lower jaw. Big, elliptical scales served to highlight the cheek -- based on, again, Iguanas. The jawline is taken from a Crocodile, with an unique curve drawn on the moment. Once this thing gets a grip on you, it's game over. Little thorns and an eye combining Asp Viper and Crocodile traits were the finishing touches.

To render quite literally the description of a 'mane of quills', I started from the soft quills typically seen on Iguanas, combined them with those of a Porcuspine and drew them very close to each other. The tail was taken from a Crocodile, with some custom, drawn-on-the-moment details.
[close]
Great work. The last one is especially nice.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Thank you all for the kind words. :) It's great to have you people.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Aug 25, 2013, 12:48:28 AM
To be attacked and killed by either one of these would be a good death.

Good to see you back at the drawing board. It's been awhile. It's like going to the beach and waiting for some strange and beautiful sea carcass to wash ashore and ignite your imagination about what lives beneath the waves. In this case, the waves of your posts.

Not disappointed with the flotsam of your efforts this night.
Thanks. :) Effectively I began drawing again very recently... these were the best outcomes. All this time my inspiration kind of ran dry for a variety of reasons, but it seems some sort of flickering,  faint light came over these last two months.

Some dreams have also inspired a pair of short stories I might actually start writing in the foreseeable future. Currently in conceptual development.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I felt like if I were to have a few glasses of wine and then bring of these into full-screen, I would experience a cross-eye-inducing stargate of painstaking detail. So, turns out even without the wine, that was exactly what I experienced.

These are really quite amazing, and it makes me weep to put into perspective how long its been since we've seen your beautiful, beautiful, beastly art. I shall now use the internet's catchphrase and whole-heartedly plea for: 'moar'!

Requiem28

Requiem28

Excellent excellent work my friend!  Good on you for really composing an original animal.  Much more fun to try drawing from the facts than coming up with a generic design.  Everything should be there for a reason.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Nothing special, a pair of concepts.

(You can see my rambling handwriting here)

Nightmare Asylum

Very cool. I especially like the first one.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I want to see a visual of what YOUR version of one circle of hell looks like. Do it, Omega!

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jan 31, 2014, 07:50:07 PM
Nothing special, a pair of concepts.

(You can see my rambling handwriting here)

Very talented  :)

Requiem28

Requiem28

Really love the look of the second one, Omega.

Cap. Fitzgerald

MY GOD this thread is good, nice to see you're still trucking OZ :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed