Should the Jockey Race be friendly or hostile?

Started by Xenoscream, Aug 04, 2010, 10:49:44 AM

Should the Jockey Race be friendly or hostile?

Friendly
9 (20%)
Hostile
11 (24.4%)
No human should ever meet a living Jockey!!!
25 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author
Should the Jockey Race be friendly or hostile? (Read 5,290 times)

Valaquen

Yeah, I'd like some Lovecraft again. Like the Jockey's are the old gods.

SM

I'd prefer it if they were just regular schmoes who stumbled across the Aliens like humanity did.

Valaquen

Complaining about shares and all :P

MrSpaceJockey

And worrying about goddamn percentages.

Sharp Sticks

That's always how I interpreted them. It was my understanding that if they were using the 'morphs as weapons it was in the same way the Company wanted the Alien for their Weapons Division. As far as I'm concerned the Alien is something older and more incomprehsible than the Jockeys. Human, elephant-man, whatever, it's all the same to the Xenos.

Kriszilla

I'd prefer we never meet a Jockey, if we do, I'd like them to be in the same situation the Nostromo crew were - they stumbled across the Aliens. Neither good nor evil.

SM

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 10, 2010, 11:05:36 PM
Complaining about shares and all :P

It's easier to make an argument for a half share when a Jockey don't have no legs.

Nightmare Asylum

Both. But neither. Make them there, but not exactly there, like in front of you. Show them, but don't show us anything. Let us see them, but not actually SEE them. OK, I sound confusing, but let me explain a little. The Space Jockey is one of the biggest mysteries in the alien franchise. Now, f they are in the prequel, show them to us. We want to see them. But do we need to see them? Can they show them to us without actually showing them to us? I think so. Odds are, we will see a living Space jockey, but do we need to know anything about it? No, not at all. We don't need to know anything. Do we need to know if it is friendly or hostile, no? Do we need to see every detail on it's body? No/ Do we need to see it at all? No. Even if we see it, we might not actually see it. It might be there, but is it really there? Ridley stated that the space jockey is merely a suit. Now, will that be explained in the movie? Maybe. Should it? Maybe. It doesn't need to be, and it can be so obscured, not only from vision but from comprehension. Should we understand what the Jockey is doing when it appears? No. Should we know it's intentions? Absolutely not. Should we see it? Yes, but no. Maybe we we will see it physically, maybe not. But will we SEE into it's personality, it's way of life, it's purpose in the universe and how it relates to the Aliens? Maybe, maybe not. Do we need to see any of that? No, we don't need to see it. So, even if the Jockey,whether the Jockey itself or the suit showed in Alien, is in the prequel, will we have to know anything about it? Absolutely not. Will we need a good physical look at it? Nope. Can we get a good look at it? Yes, but do we need it. Do we even need to see a living Jockey? No. Even without it being alive, we can still learn plenty about the creature. As long as we know where, and how, to look. So, is the Jockey friendly or hostile? I say, leave it to the viewer's interpretation. Don't just throw information in our face. Make us think, mess with our minds, make it so messed up and uncomprehendable, that we know even less about the Space jockey than we know now. That way, we can see it, but not exactly SEE it.

Mus

I like how you say you'll explain yourself a bit and then just get more confusing.

By the way, we already saw it in Alien. We didn't see it, but we saw it. A dead Jockey lying in a chair, with everything else left for our imagination.

Space Sweeper

Well I'm in the group that never want to see a living, moving Space Jockey, so.. yeah.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kriszilla on Aug 11, 2010, 12:56:15 AM
I'd prefer we never meet a Jockey, if we do, I'd like them to be in the same situation the Nostromo crew were - they stumbled across the Aliens. Neither good nor evil.

It would make the Aliens even more mysterious if that happened.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 11, 2010, 11:50:56 AM
Quote from: Kriszilla on Aug 11, 2010, 12:56:15 AM

It would make the Aliens even more mysterious if that happened.

yeah that would be good.

i think ideally i'd want the jockeys to be absolutely imposing and terrifying, a complete unknowable quantity, but not hostile, just completely alien. kind of on par with the monoliths in 2001.

Fujimaster

Nightmare asylum, what drugs are you smoking?

samoht

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 11, 2010, 01:44:58 AM
Both. But neither. Make them there, but not exactly there, like in front of you. Show them, but don't show us anything. Let us see them, but not actually SEE them. OK, I sound confusing, but let me explain a little. The Space Jockey is one of the biggest mysteries in the alien franchise. Now, f they are in the prequel, show them to us. We want to see them. But do we need to see them? Can they show them to us without actually showing them to us? I think so. Odds are, we will see a living Space jockey, but do we need to know anything about it? No, not at all. We don't need to know anything. Do we need to know if it is friendly or hostile, no? Do we need to see every detail on it's body? No/ Do we need to see it at all? No. Even if we see it, we might not actually see it. It might be there, but is it really there? Ridley stated that the space jockey is merely a suit. Now, will that be explained in the movie? Maybe. Should it? Maybe. It doesn't need to be, and it can be so obscured, not only from vision but from comprehension. Should we understand what the Jockey is doing when it appears? No. Should we know it's intentions? Absolutely not. Should we see it? Yes, but no. Maybe we we will see it physically, maybe not. But will we SEE into it's personality, it's way of life, it's purpose in the universe and how it relates to the Aliens? Maybe, maybe not. Do we need to see any of that? No, we don't need to see it. So, even if the Jockey,whether the Jockey itself or the suit showed in Alien, is in the prequel, will we have to know anything about it? Absolutely not. Will we need a good physical look at it? Nope. Can we get a good look at it? Yes, but do we need it. Do we even need to see a living Jockey? No. Even without it being alive, we can still learn plenty about the creature. As long as we know where, and how, to look. So, is the Jockey friendly or hostile? I say, leave it to the viewer's interpretation. Don't just throw information in our face. Make us think, mess with our minds, make it so messed up and uncomprehendable, that we know even less about the Space jockey than we know now. That way, we can see it, but not exactly SEE it.

Ok I kinda get what you mean there but I'm not sure you explained it very well.

I think what Nightmare asylum is trying to say is that the space jockey will probs make an appearance and it would be good if it did, but it would be best if it remained as mysterious and thought provoking as it was in the first movie.

Quote from: samoht on Aug 12, 2010, 10:34:33 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 11, 2010, 01:44:58 AM

Ok I kinda get what you mean there but I'm not sure you explained it very well.

I think what Nightmare asylum is trying to say is that the space jockey will probs make an appearance and it would be good if it did, but it would be best if it remained as mysterious and thought provoking as it was in the first movie.

oh, that's kind of what i meant aswell, which is why i said they should be like the monoliths

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed