Should the Jockey Race be friendly or hostile?

Started by Xenoscream, Aug 04, 2010, 10:49:44 AM

Should the Jockey Race be friendly or hostile?

Friendly
9 (20%)
Hostile
11 (24.4%)
No human should ever meet a living Jockey!!!
25 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author
Should the Jockey Race be friendly or hostile? (Read 5,265 times)

Xenoscream

I remember that in the novel:

"In Foster's Alien novelization, Ash describes the Space Jockey's race as a noble people and hopes that mankind will encounter them under more pleasant circumstances. It also states that they were larger, stronger and possibly more intelligent than humans. Foster's novelization states that the Jockey was trying to warn humans away from the aliens."

So I think it's open to debate whether the Jockey's will be hostile or not to humans.

Personally I would like them not to be hostile if the humans in the prequel encounter them.

Vulhala

I would imagine they would be peaceful, however I'd rather we didn't see them alive at all. And if we did, only very, very sparingly. I don't want the lead character going to the Jockeys home and sitting down for a cup of tea and a chat  :D

Xhan

Prefer the Scott version where they generally weren't concerned with Humanity, but rather Humanity's living space.

Satsu Ryu

I'm kinda conflicted about preferring benevolent jockeys or the malevolent ones from the comics who wanted nothing more than to take Earth and make it their new home. But when I think about it, reading about the jockey having actual contact with humans seemed a little goofy to me, even if they didn't sympathize with the human's plight.

OpenMaw

I'd prefer something inbetween.

If the alien is being weaponised... I dont see how you can marry that logic to the Jockey being peaceful. Thats a pretty horrific weapon they designed there. Keyword is if of course.

I'd like to see a creature that is driven by a logic. like what some conspiracy theories suggest the Alien Grey's to be like, there brutality stems from a lack of ... Empathy. They have no emotional connection. They are driven by the machine, by logic. Whatever is deemed most effective, or the most logic route, is the route they will take. If that means experimenting on humans to evolve a deadlier breed of alien, or something, thats what they'll do.

On the other hand, if a Jockey see's no logic in not helping a human to escape, or see's the logic that the aliens are too great a threat to allowed a continued existance, that they might destroy them all. Or die trying.

SM

Any species that sends out a warning to anyone else to stay away from something dangerous obviously isn't evil.

Whether they'd give a shit about humanity though is anyone's guess.  I'd prefer if they didn't especially care either way.

azrael55

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2010, 11:00:38 PMWhether they'd give a shit about humanity though is anyone's guess.  I'd prefer if they didn't especially care either way.

that's how i feel too... i would prefer it if they a) stay more or less hidden in the prequel (maybe they are left out as characters altogether and we're only shown more of their relicts) and b) act as some kind of superior race (which they obviously are anyway) that doesn't get involved with anything human.

maddriver

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2010, 11:00:38 PM
Any species that sends out a warning to anyone else to stay away from something dangerous obviously isn't evil.

Whether they'd give a shit about humanity though is anyone's guess.  I'd prefer if they didn't especially care either way.
How can you tell if the S.O.S. wasn't in fact for his own kind and not humans?

SM

Because of the fact it wasn't an SOS.

It was warning transmitted in a signal in the Jockey's language, that was obviously broad enough for translation.

Xenoscream

Quote from: OpenMaw on Aug 04, 2010, 10:17:28 PM
I'd prefer something inbetween.

If the alien is being weaponised... I dont see how you can marry that logic to the Jockey being peaceful. Thats a pretty horrific weapon they designed there. Keyword is if of course.

I'd like to see a creature that is driven by a logic. like what some conspiracy theories suggest the Alien Grey's to be like, there brutality stems from a lack of ... Empathy. They have no emotional connection. They are driven by the machine, by logic. Whatever is deemed most effective, or the most logic route, is the route they will take. If that means experimenting on humans to evolve a deadlier breed of alien, or something, thats what they'll do.

On the other hand, if a Jockey see's no logic in not helping a human to escape, or see's the logic that the aliens are too great a threat to allowed a continued existance, that they might destroy them all. Or die trying.

I like the idea of the cold logic/lack of empathy, that would definately make them seem more alien as well.

I hope they don't go down the route that the derelict was a bomber now, I used to prefer the idea that the Jockey's created the Alien, but now I find myself hoping that they just discovered them.

MrSpaceJockey

They should be almost neutral. They are an intelligent species, probably creating the biological weapon but realizing too late how powerful it is. They're a species that cares about science first. It wasn't until they crashed did they probably realize their errors and sent a warning. I'd say they are friendly and open to meeting other species, but they also are very cold and calculating. They are interested in species for the sake of science, not as friends or allies.

If I would like to expand on this, I'd say they've been betrayed previously and the xenos were a counter attack weapon to an otherwise  peaceful race. But I don't even know if they sounds ok. Maybe too cheesy or strange

Corporal Hicks

They should be un-understandable.

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 06, 2010, 12:01:30 PM
They should be un-understandable.

They should be... alien. :D

Federick Gonsa

I want the Jockeys to be portrayed as Evil Geniuses.

The Necronoir

My vote is for Lovecraftian utter indifference. The way we think about bacteria.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed