The AvPGalaxy Quotes Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jun 26, 2010, 06:01:54 PM

Author
The AvPGalaxy Quotes Thread (Read 355,695 times)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jun 20, 2012, 10:12:14 PM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 20, 2012, 09:05:07 PM

Christian Slater be cool.

The Name of The Rose is by far my fave thing he has ever done.

That women in the hayloft is probably his favorite thing he's ever done.

Haha, yes it is.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 27, 2012, 05:50:34 PM
and Funny Games US, aka The Film OmegaZilla Will Never See.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 30, 2012, 12:04:35 AM
Aliens wasn't trying to deliver the same kind of scares that Alien was. The real heart of Aliens lied in the dark, brooding atmosphere that it created (impacted as we see the mentality of the marines go from "hoo-rah!" to genuine fear) and the always lingering and ever growing sense of dread. While Alien, is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen, Aliens is one of the most tense. The fact that Aliens did not try to copy the first movie and instead went in its own direction is one of the best things about the movie, and one of the reasons why I lot of people view it as one of the greatest sequels of all time.

If I were to get started on Alien³ and its relation to the first two films, I would talk about how it is not so much about the fear of the creature any more (despite having some tense scenes, which I talked about earlier) but instead about coming to terms with and accepting the Alien's horrors. The audience, like Ripley, had already experienced the Aliens on two prior occasions. In the first movie, Ripley met her fear. In the second, she confronted it. It was not finally time for her to defeat it, and what better, more powerful was to do that in a film as bleak and depressing as Alien³ than by self sacrifice? While most people see Alien³ as a flawed film and a waste, there are a lot of people who see it as a return to form in that it is closer to the first Alien in terms of execution. Personally, I don't agree with either philosophy; I find Alien³ (a film I once did not care far very much) to be the perfect conclusion to the Alien Trilogy. Alien³ was about themes; religion, self sacrifice, and even redemption as the prisoners, murderers and rapists, became heroes and died for a cause greater than themselves. And I feel that without Aliens, Alien³ would not have been nearly as powerful (in terms or Ripley's story arc, of course).

Also, in keeping with the theme of this thread, I also want to point out that I really liked Prometheus. I had some problems with the movie (mostly editing/pacing problems, and a few character related problems as well), but I really did like the direction that the story took. I understand why others dislike it, and understand that it was not necessary in the Alien franchise, but I really liked the movie. In a lot of ways it is a return to the first Alien; in ever more ways, though, it is its own animal, tackling concepts that simply don't matter in the Alien Quadrilogy. Prometheus told a very different story than Alien did while still managing to stay in that universe that we all know and love; I'm excited to see where Prometheus' story is heading!

DJ Pu$$yface

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jun 30, 2012, 04:49:15 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 30, 2012, 12:04:35 AM
Aliens wasn't trying to deliver the same kind of scares that Alien was. The real heart of Aliens lied in the dark, brooding atmosphere that it created (impacted as we see the mentality of the marines go from "hoo-rah!" to genuine fear) and the always lingering and ever growing sense of dread. While Alien, is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen, Aliens is one of the most tense. The fact that Aliens did not try to copy the first movie and instead went in its own direction is one of the best things about the movie, and one of the reasons why I lot of people view it as one of the greatest sequels of all time.

If I were to get started on Alien³ and its relation to the first two films, I would talk about how it is not so much about the fear of the creature any more (despite having some tense scenes, which I talked about earlier) but instead about coming to terms with and accepting the Alien's horrors. The audience, like Ripley, had already experienced the Aliens on two prior occasions. In the first movie, Ripley met her fear. In the second, she confronted it. It was not finally time for her to defeat it, and what better, more powerful was to do that in a film as bleak and depressing as Alien³ than by self sacrifice? While most people see Alien³ as a flawed film and a waste, there are a lot of people who see it as a return to form in that it is closer to the first Alien in terms of execution. Personally, I don't agree with either philosophy; I find Alien³ (a film I once did not care far very much) to be the perfect conclusion to the Alien Trilogy. Alien³ was about themes; religion, self sacrifice, and even redemption as the prisoners, murderers and rapists, became heroes and died for a cause greater than themselves. And I feel that without Aliens, Alien³ would not have been nearly as powerful (in terms or Ripley's story arc, of course).

Also, in keeping with the theme of this thread, I also want to point out that I really liked Prometheus. I had some problems with the movie (mostly editing/pacing problems, and a few character related problems as well), but I really did like the direction that the story took. I understand why others dislike it, and understand that it was not necessary in the Alien franchise, but I really liked the movie. In a lot of ways it is a return to the first Alien; in ever more ways, though, it is its own animal, tackling concepts that simply don't matter in the Alien Quadrilogy. Prometheus told a very different story than Alien did while still managing to stay in that universe that we all know and love; I'm excited to see where Prometheus' story is heading!

I'm honored, Space marines :)

Although, reading that again, I noticed way too many spelling/grammar mistakes :D

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

It got the point across.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 30, 2012, 04:55:11 AM
Although, reading that again, I noticed way too many spelling/grammar mistakes :D

You're right...

I'm deleting it from this thread, post-haste!

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I am shocked that he didn't use that Giger pic, I totally read his post in that voice.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Oh god your right. Just edited.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

That's more like it.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

GOD DAMN IT those sets!

Everywhere...

Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed