Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 406,537 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 14, 2012, 07:23:58 PM
How is it sexist? It's just a term of endearment. I call some of my lady friends that, they don't seem to have a problem with it.
It's sexist because they are childish pet names. I'm not a five year old.
It's just another way men subtly reinforce dominance, subconsciously or not.

SiL

SiL

Most people I hear using those terms are women talking to men. It's not sexist. As for childish and immature -- just listen to half the retarded stuff guys call each other.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SiL on Apr 14, 2012, 10:33:54 PM
Most people I hear using those terms are women talking to men. It's not sexist. As for childish and immature -- just listen to half the retarded stuff guys call each other.
It's not sexist when women do it because women are on the losing end of the power dynamic anyway, and the intimations are different. If it's not sexist, then how would you feel if a random guy you barely know casually called you "sweetie" or "honey" without a hint of irony? I'd wager you probably wouldn't like it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 14, 2012, 10:41:10 PM
It's not sexist when women do it
Oh, horse poop. Sexism isn't a one-way street.

Quoteand the intimations are different.
How?

QuoteIf it's not sexist, then how would you feel if a random guy you barely know casually called you "sweetie" or "honey" without a hint of irony? I'd wager you probably wouldn't like it.
I'd assume the guy was either gay or very effeminate. And if neither? Then that's what he does. Good for him.

Would you call a woman a hunk or a stud? Would you call a six year old hot, or sexy? I seriously doubt it. But that's hardly discrimination. It's not that we don't let women be hunks, we just don't associate that phrase with females. And seeing as how "honey" and "sweetie" are used equally by both genders, I really don't see why it's an issue.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2012, 12:12:38 AM
How?
Women use it for both men and women. It's just a term of endearment in that case. Straight men use it exclusively for two things: women and children, thereby equating the two.

Would you call a woman a hunk or a stud? Would you call a six year old hot, or sexy? I seriously doubt it. But that's hardly discrimination. It's not that we don't let women be hunks, we just don't associate that phrase with females. And seeing as how "honey" and "sweetie" are used equally by both genders, I really don't see why it's an issue.
See above. It's another way of not taking women seriously, or treating them as equals. That's why it's sexist.
And I'm not talking about in the context of a relationship, which obviously different (duh). I'm talking about in general, in the workplace, etc.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 14, 2012, 10:41:10 PM
It's not sexist when women do it
Oh, horse poop. Sexism isn't a one-way street.

How?

QuoteIf it's not sexist, then how would you feel if a random guy you barely know casually called you "sweetie" or "honey" without a hint of irony? I'd wager you probably wouldn't like it.
I'd assume the guy was either gay or very effeminate. And if neither? Then that's what he does. Good for him.

Exactly. Guys call their girlfriends "honey", "sweetie", or even "baby" because they have a strong relationship with each other and sometimes are close friends; Girlfriends call their boyfriends the same too. The whole "it's okay if us women call our girl friends that but men can't" is what I hate. I hate it when I see a girl look at a guy in disgust when he is checking out another female yet we all know you women look at guys the same way. It's almost like the whole "white person uses 'N' word it's racist, yet blacks say it all the time and get away with it" situation.

QuoteStraight men use it exclusively for two things: women and children, thereby equating the two.

That doesn't necessarily 'equate' women to children or vice versa. Mothers call their children "sweetie" while talking to their husband by saying "you're such a sweetie" doesn't equate him to a six old does it? No it doesn't. We call people those names for affectionate reasons not because we are sexist. If that were the case than EVERYONE in the world is sexist.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Apparently you missed this part:
Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 15, 2012, 12:17:53 AM
And I'm not talking about in the context of a relationship, which is obviously different (duh). I'm talking about in general, in the workplace, etc.

Rick Grimes

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 15, 2012, 12:28:48 AM
Apparently you missed this part:
Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 15, 2012, 12:17:53 AM
And I'm not talking about in the context of a relationship, which is obviously different (duh). I'm talking about in general, in the workplace, etc.

Oh, well then if it's in a workplace with someone you don't know, or a complete stranger in public, then that would either consist of sexual abuse (at work) or a flattering compliment (in public).

Cvalda

Cvalda

Here. Let me try and enlighten you gentleman what I am getting at, because you clearly have no context for appreciation of where women are coming from when they don't like to be called "sweetie" or "honey."

LADY'S FIRST DAY OF WORK
Lady: Hi, I'm blah-blah-blah, I just started here today. I was told to report to you.
Heterosexual Male Supervisor/Co-Worker: Oh, hey. Welcome aboard sweetie, nice to meet you. I'll show you around. This is where we do the copying--careful honey, that coffee's hot.

Etc, etc. I am not your girlfriend. I am not your child. Don't f**king talk to me like one. You wouldn't call your male co-workers "honey" or "sweetie," so f**king stop it, it's insulting and patronizing.

Rick Grimes

I understood what you were saying, but don't associate all men are like that. The co-worker could just be some at home with his mom slob slack off loser at work who wants to get laid so badly that he treats you like that. Now what if the a random stranger complimented you on your good looks in a polite non-sexual way? How would you feel?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Rick Grimes on Apr 15, 2012, 12:43:41 AM
Now what if the a random stranger complimented you on your good looks in a polite non-sexual way? How would you feel?
Mildly repulsed. I don't go around randomly complimenting guys I think are hot on their looks down the aisle of the supermarket--why do that to a woman? It's not flattering, it's creepy, and makes many of us feel like nothing more than pieces of meat.

Which dovetails into another thing I hate: when men on the street randomly tell women to "smile." Once again, f**k you. I am not here to be a pleasant part of the scenery, nor do I have any obligation to brighten your day with my facial expressions. You don't randomly look at another guy on the street and tell him to "smile, honey"--so don't f**king do it to me.

SM

SM

QuoteI am not here to be a pleasant part of the scenery

Clearly.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Oh, SM--such wit.

Rick Grimes

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 15, 2012, 12:48:35 AM
Quote from: Rick Grimes on Apr 15, 2012, 12:43:41 AM
Now what if the a random stranger complimented you on your good looks in a polite non-sexual way? How would you feel?
Mildly repulsed. I don't go around randomly complimenting guys I think are hot on their looks down the aisle of the supermarket--why do that to a woman? It's not flattering, it's creepy, and makes many of us feel like nothing more than pieces of meat.

Which dovetails into another thing I hate: when men on the street randomly tell women to "smile." Once again, f**k you. I am not here to be a pleasant part of the scenery, nor do I have any obligation to brighten your day with my facial expressions. You don't randomly look at another guy on the street and tell him to "smile, honey"--so don't f**king do it to me.

The hell kind of guy tells a random woman to "smile"? That's just weird. If I can say something to a girl I've never met before, and make her laugh with what I tell her (believe me, I do it all the time since it's my job to make guests have a great experience while eating) than she isn't offended by it. How else are is someone supposed to meet a potential friend without breaking the ice by saying a simple "hello"? Anyways, I can sense that you're kind of a 'prude' and fight for 'feminist rights' with what we're debating here (I could be wrong though). I respect you and your opinion but please, just remember not all men are the same. I treat women with respect and not in an immature disgusting way like you think.

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

The person I was.... just months ago! :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed