Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 408,477 times)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Keg on Jul 26, 2011, 07:17:40 PMMal im not even going to bother continuing this discussion with you because youve got a very closed, blinkard view on things from what I can see and we'll only end up arguing and theres no point.
Well, Mr. Pot, let me give you some background. I'm half-Italian and was raised Roman Catholic. I've received five sacraments, and came close to receiving a sixth: Holy Orders. That's right, ladies and gents, your Evil Uncle Mal was this close [one millimeter gap between thumb and forefinger] to being a priest.

Up until the year after I had graduated from high school, I was a devout Roman Catholic. I was an altar boy (no sordid mishappenings in our parish; sorry), later was assistant choir director and part-time organist, and assisted in teaching CCD classes.

Before entering the seminary, I tried to read everything I could on Church history and Biblical history. And, get this: I actually read the whole damned Bible! Yes! All of it!

And then there were problems.

I had stumbled across many inconsistancies and contradictions to where I couldn't get straight answers from the priests at my church, the Bishop of the Fort Wayne diocese; everyone I could contact. I was told to ignore parts of the Bible; Deuteronomy springs to mind. Then I started to question miracles that I had read about. True, I had never felt that I witnessed one, but I began to wonder how many people other than myself hadn't as well. I would notice how God would be praised for beautiful days at sporting events, but somehow he wasn't mentioned when it was cloudy and threatening to rain. Whenever I asked about these things, I would get either foggy answers or told not to think such thoughts.

So, to wrap things up, I had spent 18 years of my life not just waiting for God to come to me, but I actually went out in search of him, which is more than I can suspect you had done yourself. So, please, don't you dare call me close-minded when I actually took pains to let God into my life. If you insist that my mind is closed, let's say that it's not open enough to let the rain in and make my thoughts get soggy.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 26, 2011, 08:06:29 PMI'm pretty sure God didn't write the Bible, monks did, and how on earth did those monks know exactly what God wanted? I'm pretty sure no one has spoken to God except for those who have died and moved on.
Monks didn't write the Bible. They were written before the Church was organized. You might be interested in what The PredBen might have to say about that, too; considering that the "first half" of the Bible was hijacked from the Jewish people.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 26, 2011, 08:06:29 PMI have faith that how I honour my God he doesn't mind at all. If it is even remotely possible for people like me and my friends to be best friends with many different backgrounds than I'm sure God isn't the strict, angry and forceful god people make him out to be.
Read the Old Testament very carefully. Oh, that's right: later on, he had a kid and that mellowed him out afterward. Got it.

Quote from: Keg on Jul 26, 2011, 08:18:01 PMIm quite happy to have a discussion but when somebody tries so hard to misinterpret what your saying just so they can disagree on every point, its only going to end up in an argument, which is maybe what he wants.
Really? What was misinterpreted and how?

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 08:42:03 PM
I hate missing good conversations ... f**k it decent ones  :laugh: .
How am I doing?

chupacabras acheronsis

Both Testaments were collections of legends from numerous north-african and eastern tribes. you should know this. that's why they're so contradictory.

The PredBen

Quote from: maledoro on Jul 26, 2011, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: Keg on Jul 26, 2011, 07:17:40 PMMal im not even going to bother continuing this discussion with you because youve got a very closed, blinkard view on things from what I can see and we'll only end up arguing and theres no point.
Well, Mr. Pot, let me give you some background. I'm half-Italian and was raised Roman Catholic. I've received five sacraments, and came close to receiving a sixth: Holy Orders. That's right, ladies and gents, your Evil Uncle Mal was this close [one millimeter gap between thumb and forefinger] to being a priest.

Up until the year after I had graduated from high school, I was a devout Roman Catholic. I was an altar boy (no sordid mishappenings in our parish; sorry), later was assistant choir director and part-time organist, and assisted in teaching CCD classes.

Before entering the seminary, I tried to read everything I could on Church history and Biblical history. And, get this: I actually read the whole damned Bible! Yes! All of it!

And then there were problems.

I had stumbled across many inconsistancies and contradictions to where I couldn't get straight answers from the priests at my church, the Bishop of the Fort Wayne diocese; everyone I could contact. I was told to ignore parts of the Bible; Deuteronomy springs to mind. Then I started to question miracles that I had read about. True, I had never felt that I witnessed one, but I began to wonder how many people other than myself hadn't as well. I would notice how God would be praised for beautiful days at sporting events, but somehow he wasn't mentioned when it was cloudy and threatening to rain. Whenever I asked about these things, I would get either foggy answers or told not to think such thoughts.

So, to wrap things up, I had spent 18 years of my life not just waiting for God to come to me, but I actually went out in search of him, which is more than I can suspect you had done yourself. So, please, don't you dare call me close-minded when I actually took pains to let God into my life. If you insist that my mind is closed, let's say that it's not open enough to let the rain in and make my thoughts get soggy.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 26, 2011, 08:06:29 PMI'm pretty sure God didn't write the Bible, monks did, and how on earth did those monks know exactly what God wanted? I'm pretty sure no one has spoken to God except for those who have died and moved on.
Monks didn't write the Bible. They were written before the Church was organized. You might be interested in what The PredBen might have to say about that, too; considering that the "first half" of the Bible was hijacked from the Jewish people.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 26, 2011, 08:06:29 PMI have faith that how I honour my God he doesn't mind at all. If it is even remotely possible for people like me and my friends to be best friends with many different backgrounds than I'm sure God isn't the strict, angry and forceful god people make him out to be.
Read the Old Testament very carefully. Oh, that's right: later on, he had a kid and that mellowed him out afterward. Got it.

Quote from: Keg on Jul 26, 2011, 08:18:01 PMIm quite happy to have a discussion but when somebody tries so hard to misinterpret what your saying just so they can disagree on every point, its only going to end up in an argument, which is maybe what he wants.
Really? What was misinterpreted and how?

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 08:42:03 PM
I hate missing good conversations ... f**k it decent ones  :laugh: .
How am I doing?

Wow I didn't know you were that close to being a priest. As usual you're doing great.  ;)

Keg

Keg

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jul 26, 2011, 09:13:59 PM
Both Testaments were collections of legends from numerous north-african and eastern tribes. you should know this. that's why they're so contradictory.

And Islam, Christianity, Judeism all stem from Zoroastrianism.

Theyre all essentially the same stories, suited to fit.

The PredBen

The PredBen

You know what I hate? Judaism being such a small religion. I wish, rather then respecting others rights to believe in what they want, they'd have gone out and converted others just like their younger siblings  :D. Perhaps then the Jews would've been so easy to push around.
:P

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jul 26, 2011, 09:13:59 PMBoth Testaments were collections of legends from numerous north-african and eastern tribes. you should know this.
I knew it before you did.

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:18:45 PMWow I didn't know you were that close to being a priest. As usual you're doing great.  ;)
Thanks! And, I even gave you a personal invite to chime in in my last post.

(I'll make a deal with you: if you promise to kick a few Xtians in the balls about how they have misused the Tanakh, I won't assault you with Canaanite theology. Deal?)
;)

Quote from: Keg on Jul 26, 2011, 09:21:16 PM
Some elements of Xtianity did...

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:22:36 PM
You know what I hate? Judaism being such a small religion.
WTF?!

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:22:36 PMI wish, rather then respecting others rights to believe in what they want, they'd have gone out and converted others just like their younger siblings  :D. Perhaps then the Jews would've been so easy to push around. :P
You'd be surprised about how much influence they had in Ancient Roman times and still have today.

The PredBen

Quote from: maledoro on Jul 26, 2011, 09:29:38 PM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jul 26, 2011, 09:13:59 PMBoth Testaments were collections of legends from numerous north-african and eastern tribes. you should know this.
I knew it before you did.

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:18:45 PMWow I didn't know you were that close to being a priest. As usual you're doing great.  ;)
Thanks! And, I even gave you a personal invite to chime in in my last post.

I know I just didn't have anything good to say at the moment  :P

(I'll make a deal with you: if you promise to kick a few Xtians in the balls about how they have misused the Tanakh, I won't assault you with Canaanite theology. Deal?)
;)

Of course, when should I commence with the ball kicking?

Quote from: Keg on Jul 26, 2011, 09:21:16 PM
Some elements of Xtianity did...

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:22:36 PM
You know what I hate? Judaism being such a small religion.
WTF?!

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:22:36 PMI wish, rather then respecting others rights to believe in what they want, they'd have gone out and converted others just like their younger siblings  :D. Perhaps then the Jews would've been so easy to push around. :P
You'd be surprised about how much influence they had in Ancient Roman times and still have today.

I'm aware of the influence they have today. But it's kinda sad that Christianity and Islam both have over 1 billion people. Judaism has about 15 million tops.

Keg

Keg

Is that it? Im very surprised at that.

Edit: Oh and Mal when I said you were being close minded I meant in the context of this discussion not in general, related to religion or otherwise. Just in the sense that everything anybody said you would not entertain or discuss you would simply shoot it down as if your opinion was fact and when somebody starts doing that it just leads to arguments and I dont really want to get into a huge argument about it, especially because with religion we could end up offending people on the forum and I dont think either of wanted to do that.

The PredBen

If you're referring to me saying "There's only 15 million Jews tops" yeah there are only 15 million. I'm not saying that there are only 15 million people with Jewish ancestry (like a Jewish mother or father) but only between 12 - 15 million people who recognize that they're Jews/ identify as Jews.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Mal as a altar boy!  :laugh:
Should have stuck with it, surely it's easier to dismantle from the inside.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:35:00 PMBut it's kinda sad that Christianity and Islam both have over 1 billion people. Judaism has about 15 million tops.
1. Build time machine.
2. Kill guy named "Paul".
3. Keep guy named "Nero" in check with superweapon from afar.
4. Be on the lookout for a guy named "Muhammad".
5. Enjoy world domination.

The PredBen

Quote from: maledoro on Jul 26, 2011, 09:45:24 PM
Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:35:00 PMBut it's kinda sad that Christianity and Islam both have over 1 billion people. Judaism has about 15 million tops.
1. Build time machine.

That is a solid, solid plan Mal. I just need a time machine ...

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:46:45 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Jul 26, 2011, 09:45:24 PM
1. Build time machine.

That is a solid, solid plan Mal. I just need a time machine ...
The first word in the first step is a verb, you know...
;D

Crazy Rich

I stand firm in what I believe as I had experienced a miracle that the entire family name believes in.

June 30, 1991. I was born but the unfortunate happens, I was not breathing properly and was dying. After putting up a fight the doctors just gave up as they 'knew' my death was 'certain'. As they just allowed me to die and my parents cried an Irish nurse said a prayer as she stayed to comfort me in death. Then a miracle happened, I cheated 'certain' death. My parents occasionally refer to me as the 'miracle baby'.

With that said, you can believe what you want but I stand firm in my belief.

Quote from: Keg on Jul 26, 2011, 09:36:50 PM
Is that it? Im very surprised at that.

Edit: Oh and Mal when I said you were being close minded I meant in the context of this discussion not in general, related to religion or otherwise. Just in the sense that everything anybody said you would not entertain or discuss you would simply shoot it down as if your opinion was fact and when somebody starts doing that it just leads to arguments and I dont really want to get into a huge argument about it, especially because with religion we could end up offending people on the forum and I dont think either of wanted to do that.
I think there is two words for that, religious fanaticism.

"Often the arguments come across as bigoted, completely unwilling and unable to fully take on an opponents point at any stage"

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: The PredBen on Jul 26, 2011, 09:35:00 PM
I'm aware of the influence they have today. But it's kinda sad that Christianity and Islam both have over 1 billion people. Judaism has about 15 million tops.

Is that why, on a dating site, Jewish girls make a point of saying they'll only date Jewish guys?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed