Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized

Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 04, 2010, 05:12:36 PM

Author
Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized (Read 242,185 times)

Eva

Aspie's eyesight

Spoiler
or his monitor is all f**ked up :D
[close]

Cvalda

Quote from: Eva on Feb 08, 2014, 03:35:07 AM
Aspie's eyesight

Spoiler
or his monitor is all f**ked up :D
[close]

Gilfryd

Star Wars died in 1997 as far as I'm concerned. Abrams has his work cut out for him with Episode VII.

Vickers

Star Wars never really "died" for me. Even if the prequels aren't as strong as the original trilogy, I still find them incredibly fun to watch and they still add a richness to the world. I even like Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

When Star Wars: Episode VII was announced, I wasn't too thrilled initially but I'm curious to see the end result. I would have personally loved to see another director take it on but it's not like I was begging for a new Star Wars film anyway - so I'll give it a chance. But my expectations are really low.

Aspie

Soda.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Vickers on Feb 08, 2014, 01:52:55 PM
Star Wars never really "died" for me. Even if the prequels aren't as strong as the original trilogy, I still find them incredibly fun to watch and they still add a richness to the world. I even like Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

When Star Wars: Episode VII was announced, I wasn't too thrilled initially but I'm curious to see the end result. I would have personally loved to see another director take it on but it's not like I was begging for a new Star Wars film anyway - so I'll give it a chance. But my expectations are really low.

Mah man Vickers 8)

To me, at this point, I can't have the Originals without the Prequels, and vice versa. They work in tandem with one another beautifully, with their differences in tone and style being just as important as their similarities. On a visual level alone (the sleek and shiny old world of the Prequels eventually changing into the blocky Imperial constructs of the Originals) the progression of the story from one trilogy is fantastic to watch, never mind the thematic changes that the characters and the world itself undergo. I absolutely love, for example, how everything seems shifts gears between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, but the seeds have been planted from the very beginning. The old Republic of the Prequels becomes the evil Empire of the classic films, but the implication that it has been operating that way since the beginning of The Phantom Menace resonates all along. Similarly, the Confederacy that we hate for opposing the supposedly diplomatic government in the Prequels eventually forms the basis for the freedom-fighting Rebels of the Original Trilogy in their conquest to end the Empire's corrupt rule of the galaxy. What seemed so black and white all along is actually coated in gray. It's fascinating to really put all of this into perspective.

Aspie

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 08, 2014, 02:06:54 PM

Mah man Vickers 8)

To me, at this point, I can't have the Originals without the Prequels, and vice versa. They work in tandem with one another beautifully, with their differences in tone and style being just as important as their similarities.

BANE

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Kill La Kill  :-\
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Aspie

Quote from: BANE on Feb 08, 2014, 02:19:11 PM
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
at long last.

What makes you say so?

Vickers

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 08, 2014, 02:06:54 PM

Mah man Vickers 8)

To me, at this point, I can't have the Originals without the Prequels, and vice versa. They work in tandem with one another beautifully, with their differences in tone and style being just as important as their similarities. On a visual level alone (the sleek and shiny old world of the Prequels eventually changing into the blocky Imperial constructs of the Originals) the progression of the story from one trilogy is fantastic to watch, never mind the thematic changes that the characters and the world itself undergo. I absolutely love, for example, how everything seems shifts gears between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, but the seeds have been planted from the very beginning. The old Republic of the Prequels becomes the evil Empire of the classic films, but the implication that it has been operating that way since the beginning of The Phantom Menace resonates all along. Similarly, the Confederacy that we hate for opposing the supposedly diplomatic government in the Prequels eventually forms the basis for the freedom-fighting Rebels of the Original Trilogy in their conquest to end the Empire's corrupt rule of the galaxy. What seemed so black and white all along is actually coated in gray. It's fascinating to really put all of this into perspective.

Absolutely! I find it rewarding to look at Star Wars as a whole. Looking at the bigger picture, everything works - on a visual and tonal level. It feels like one rich experience to me. Even if one film may be substantially darker than the previous film, the shift works well. With so many strong opinions on how much the prequels suck, I've still never seperated them from the original trilogy or felt any sense of disconnect. As one big story, it works. And even though they're largely regarded as sci-fi classics, there are so many genres one could fit Star Wars into. And all of it works.

My only issue with Star Wars would be with George Lucas himself. And that's an entirely different topic.

Quote from: BANE on Feb 08, 2014, 02:19:11 PM
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
I did enjoy the first few episodes but if it didn't improve the way it did in later episodes, I'm not so sure I would have stuck with it.

BANE

Oh, it improves? I'm 4 episodes in and I'm thinking "How in the f**k did this create the absolute jizzstorm that it did?". It's not a terrible show, but it's not great either (except animation wise). I guess I'll keep watching...

Vickers

If you hate it, maybe there's no point in carrying on. I felt that it improved quite a bit in later episodes but I was already having fun with the show from the start. So there's a good chance it won't win you over.

What didn't you like about what you've seen so far?

BANE

The dialogue is just... :o

The show's repetitive thus far (go away, come back, go away, come back more powerful, animated vagina squeeze aaaaaand....FIGHT!). The voices grate, the story is pretty lame, and the bad guys seem more interested in posturing and monologuing than actually killing Ryuko ('HEY, you killed one of our council members! Go ahead, leave. We'll be here if you feel like returning').

Aspie

LOL the mods are messaging each other and scoping whose online. Someone probably reported BANE for this.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed