Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized

Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 04, 2010, 05:12:36 PM

Author
Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized (Read 242,144 times)

DoomRulz

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 12, 2010, 01:59:28 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 12, 2010, 01:57:53 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 12, 2010, 01:47:23 AM
I was being serious.

Srsly?
ಠ_ಠ

There is a line between stupid-funny and stupid-unfunny. Like good example of the difference? Between South Park and Family Guy.

Family Guy is both...much as people would like to say otherwise.

Space Sweeper

It has it's moments but usually it falls to the point of Seth MacFarlane essentially whacking-off in the viewer's face. Which makes it very ಠ_ಠ

Pn2501

I happen to be one of the few people who thought that land of the lost was actually quite funny in places.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 12, 2010, 02:02:30 AM
It has it's moments but usually it falls to the point of Seth MacFarlane essentially whacking-off in the viewer's face. Which makes it very ಠ_ಠ

It's gotten much better since season 8 IMO. It's more self-aware of the criticism and projects it in each episode.

Space Sweeper

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 12, 2010, 02:05:10 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 12, 2010, 02:02:30 AM

It's gotten much better since season 8 IMO. It's more self-aware of the criticism and projects it in each episode.
I should probably check that out then.

Quote from: Pn2501 on Nov 12, 2010, 02:03:33 AM
I happen to be one of the few people who thought that land of the lost was actually quite funny in places.
Nope, I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Will Farrell and Danny McBride are always good for a laugh.

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 12, 2010, 01:57:53 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 12, 2010, 01:47:23 AM
I was being serious.

Srsly?

There is nothing funnier than a fart.  Reilly's delivery and Rogen's reaction just push it into the stratosphere.

And Family Guy at it's best couldn't hold a candle to South Park at it's worst.  South Park generally manages to succesfully mix puerile and pop-culture with an extremely incisive wit.  Family Guy relies on long drawn out pop-culture references that overstay their welcome in order to pad out the running time.

DoomRulz

Here's my take on it. Family Guy is a sillier version of South Park. It does what South Park does with the satire and the humour, but is more...I dunno, blunt I would say.

I don't know if you saw the latest Family Guy episode where Brian becomes a follower of Rush Limbaugh and decides he's going to become a hardcore conservative, but the entire episode takes a stab at the right wing extremism present in contemporary U.S. politics. There's nothing subtle about it. Every time Brian or Rush say something, the message is obvious: U.S. Republicans are f**ked up. South Park would be more tactful in its approach and be more intelligent about it certainly but FG isn't trying to be something it's not. It is what it is.

Space Sweeper

Still sounds a bit like MacFarlane is using the character of Brian (who is essentially himself) to express his opinions.. I hate that. It's not funny when somebody uses a character to get their own opinions out there. Want to know what I find funny in Family Guy? Adam West.

SM

SM

Boy taking a ping at conservatives is pretty controversial.  Talk about a hard target.  :D

Thing about South Park they don't push one agenda or another and seem to treat them all with the same level of amusement.

And I speak as one who watched all the early series but hasn't seen a full episode in years due to having children, so I'm not die-hard or anything.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 12, 2010, 03:18:44 AM
Still sounds a bit like MacFarlane is using the character of Brian (who is essentially himself) to express his opinions.. I hate that. It's not funny when somebody uses a character to get their own opinions out there. Want to know what I find funny in Family Guy? Adam West.

It's the execution that makes it funny; for me anyway.

Quote from: SM on Nov 12, 2010, 03:23:48 AM
Boy taking a ping at conservatives is pretty controversial.  Talk about a hard target.  :D

Thing about South Park they don't push one agenda or another and seem to treat them all with the same level of amusement.

And I speak as one who watched all the early series but hasn't seen a full episode in years due to having children.

Watch S13E1: The Ring. You'll love it, trust me!

Space Sweeper

Obama!! OBAMAA!! WHEEEW!!

SM

QuoteWatch S13E1: The Ring. You'll love it, trust me!

They're up to 13 already?

I guess that makes sense.  I remember taping early series and taking them to Singapore for my sister-in-law to watch before she was even my sister-in-law and that was late 90's.  :o

Xhan

The current season has been hands down f**king brilliant.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 12, 2010, 03:27:17 AM
Obama!! OBAMAA!! WHEEEW!!

http://peterahall.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/chaaaaange1.jpg

that episode is so funny, just remembering it is making me chuckle.

Quote from: SM on Nov 12, 2010, 03:29:16 AM
QuoteWatch S13E1: The Ring. You'll love it, trust me!

They're up to 13 already?

I guess that makes sense.  I remember taping early series and taking them to Singapore for my sister-in-law to watch before she was even my sister-in-law and that was late 90's.  :o

i think they're on s14 now actually,

Vulhala

CHANGE!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed