Gameplay Bugs/Issues

Started by ikarop, Feb 16, 2010, 05:55:09 PM

Author
Gameplay Bugs/Issues (Read 134,053 times)

Undel

Undel

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jun 03, 2010, 11:24:59 PM
WRONG.

AVP wins the award for worst optimized game of the year in my book. You could have a monster 1GB video card and the lastest i7 CPU with 6GB and still get sluggish gameplay.

That's so untrue. I have a Nvidia 9800 GT 1 Gb and I'm able to run this game on very high settings (the performance has even increased with the latest patches), and I can't even run Metro 2033 or Mass Effect 2 on High... even my laptop which has a shitty Mobility Radeon 4330 can run AvP perfectly. Your issues are probably due to something else.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Insomniac was the one who said if you have a 9800 card you shouldn't be attempting to play it on very high, it's you that should be talking to him, not me.

Undel

Undel

I was simply replying to your comment about the game not being optimized. He's right about his comment, if the rest of your rig is as old as those video cards (which is a fair guess since the first thing ppl tend to upgrade is the video card), then you shouldn't even try to run ANY new game at very high textures... point is it will run smoothly at very high settings with that video card mostly depending on the rest of your rig & OS, so don't be surprised if it doesn't.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

No he is not right.

He just said if you have a 9800 card you shouldn't be running the game on very high, you have a 9800 card and your claiming that it runs perfect on very high. Jesus!

I have a Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.93, Nvidia 280GTX 1GB and 4GB of SLi ram and I can't run AVP on very high settings because the game comes to a crawl after awhile of gameplay. I've read more than once of people having i7 cpu's and high end video cards and still having problems. Only few are saying it runs perfectly on their rig.

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

Not sure if this has been said before but.... In the Predator mission with the Preatorian boss fight, in the arena. If you go to the back left corner(near the observation booth) if you stand on the tallest part of the structure the Preatorian will freeze and the Aliens will be unable to attack. One was doing a 360 behind me.

Insomniac

Insomniac

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jun 04, 2010, 02:19:16 AM
No he is not right.

He just said if you have a 9800 card you shouldn't be running the game on very high, you have a 9800 card and your claiming that it runs perfect on very high. Jesus!

I have a Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.93, Nvidia 280GTX 1GB and 4GB of SLi ram and I can't run AVP on very high settings because the game comes to a crawl after awhile of gameplay. I've read more than once of people having i7 cpu's and high end video cards and still having problems. Only few are saying it runs perfectly on their rig.

Right, ok, maybe I should re-phrase that. If you are running an 8800 or 9800 you shouldn't EXPECT to run at very high textures. High, yes, by all means if its a 1Gb card high will probably work fine. But I think you are massivly underestimating how much memory is needed to load an AvP level with 2048x2048 textures.
It looks like a big case of give a man a rope he'll hang himself with it. If they went the bioshock route and didn't let you try full sized textures you would be shouting too. You've also not mentioned how much RAM you have or which level / game mode you are trying to run. Have you looked at free RAM on both system and graphics at the point it starts to struggle?

Marine colony with special features off and medium textures takes up 2.3Gb of RAM. Very high textures are 16 times the size of medium ones.

dude63

dude63

Yesterday..or..early morning today if you want to be technical. I was palying the pred campaign. Everything went smoothly. Im now on the level "ruins" I had it freeze up on me. Resulting in a console restart. I played it again, it frooze once more. Both time I was switching vision modes. After the second freeze I let my ps3 sit for awhile and popped in Clive Barkers Jericho.

Insomniac

Insomniac

Quote from: dude63 on Jun 07, 2010, 04:49:54 PM
Yesterday..or..early morning today if you want to be technical. I was palying the pred campaign. Everything went smoothly. Im now on the level "ruins" I had it freeze up on me. Resulting in a console restart. I played it again, it frooze once more. Both time I was switching vision modes. After the second freeze I let my ps3 sit for awhile and popped in Clive Barkers Jericho.

I assume your on PS3?

Shouldn't happen with the lastest patch, but if for some reason you have latest patch and it's still happening your going to have to be very carefull how many times you switch vision modes...

Undel

Undel

Quote from: dude63 on Jun 07, 2010, 04:49:54 PM

If the patch didn't fix it for you, then you could try this:

Quote from: Adey on Mar 15, 2010, 09:37:21 PM
i have it for ps3 but the only time it froze was when i was in melee with an alien as a pred and switched vision modes, but since i stood my ps3 up right rather than have it down, it plays perfect (...)

Hope it works :(

dude63

dude63

I do have the latest patch and its odd it only happend towards theend of the time I played it (about 4 hours) I think that may be why. I usually have my front intercooler on and then a external fan blowing. I didn't turn the external fan on UNTIL this happened. So this could be why. Thanks for the advice though. Im not going to stand it upright as..theres a air vent there. It would block airflow going into the system.

Asian Assassin

Asian Assassin

I dont know if its just me or what, almost every game i join all the people lag out of my team then the other team still has their players then i get destroyed, and then theres always a glitcher, his hits are way too powerful and fast i dont suck though i would get around twenty kills even with the glitchers. Is it just me or are there others who are having this?

visagepoissons

visagepoissons

I don't see how you guys are running it on the highest settings with those cards....

I have a GTX 480. The most powerful single GPU card currently out and I can't run it on the highest settings at 60FPS. On my GTX 260 with only DX9 settings then I could run it at 60+

Under DX9 this game runs very easily. Add in the advanced shadows, AA and tessellation and it suddenly brings the most powerful machines to a halt.

Insomniac

Insomniac

Quote from: visagepoissons on Jun 08, 2010, 08:58:42 AM
I don't see how you guys are running it on the highest settings with those cards....

I have a GTX 480. The most powerful single GPU card currently out and I can't run it on the highest settings at 60FPS. On my GTX 260 with only DX9 settings then I could run it at 60+

Under DX9 this game runs very easily. Add in the advanced shadows, AA and tessellation and it suddenly brings the most powerful machines to a halt.

I think people are becoming too used to games where upgrading the graphics card is enough to up all the graphics settings to max. With AvP, having a system that is good all round (CPU, RAM, HDD) is just as important or you will just end up with a graphics card that sitting around waiting for the RAM to give it the textures. Having looked at my system and what it can and can't handle, I would say that getting very hgh textures running is more about having 8Gb or more of RAM than having a new graphics card...

visagepoissons

visagepoissons

Quote from: Insomniac on Jun 08, 2010, 09:50:41 AM
Quote from: visagepoissons on Jun 08, 2010, 08:58:42 AM

I think people are becoming too used to games where upgrading the graphics card is enough to up all the graphics settings to max. With AvP, having a system that is good all round (CPU, RAM, HDD) is just as important or you will just end up with a graphics card that sitting around waiting for the RAM to give it the textures. Having looked at my system and what it can and can't handle, I would say that getting very hgh textures running is more about having 8Gb or more of RAM than having a new graphics card...

Er, not really. I have a 7200 RPM HDD 6gb of DDR3 ram at... I think it's 1444mhz atm and a core i7 that I can clock up to about 3.9 ghz.

I don't think I have any problems anywhere. The thing is, RAM is not so important. As I said, I could EASILY run with very high textures on my GTX 260. My new graphics card has almost twice as much VRAM and I don't use up ANYWHERE near all of my ram in any game. The fact of the matter is that the graphics card is the most important part of the machine. I probably wouldn't even really need more then 4 gigs of ram, but I bought the ram in a bundle.

Insomniac

Insomniac

Quote from: visagepoissons on Jun 08, 2010, 10:24:04 AM
Er, not really. I have a 7200 RPM HDD 6gb of DDR3 ram at... I think it's 1444mhz atm and a core i7 that I can clock up to about 3.9 ghz.

I don't think I have any problems anywhere. The thing is, RAM is not so important. As I said, I could EASILY run with very high textures on my GTX 260. My new graphics card has almost twice as much VRAM and I don't use up ANYWHERE near all of my ram in any game. The fact of the matter is that the graphics card is the most important part of the machine. I probably wouldn't even really need more then 4 gigs of ram, but I bought the ram in a bundle.

Sorry, I know I quoted you but I didn't mean you directly, just the "I have a good gfx card, therefore it must run well" thing has come up a lot.

Interestingly I just upgraded from XP Pro (tried with both 2Gb Dual Channel, 800Mhz and 3Gb Single Channel 800Mhz) to Win7 (4Gb Dual Channel under-clocked to 667Mhz) and running on full everything I can (All on full apart from DX11 features) runs a LOT better than it did (now feels like about 30fps rather than 5 or so). And thats just on an 8800 GTS and an Intel Q6600.

Colony uses about 3Gb of RAM with these settings, making 4Gb the absolute minimum you could pull it off with, haven't tried ruins yet.

So yes, your system should have no problem running AvP, have you tried it with just the DX11 stuff turned off? Does it then run at something silly? It might just be something like the current NVidia drivers handle tesselation badly or something, as the cards are pretty new.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed