Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, Feb 14, 2010, 05:34:49 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 89,187 times)

ManOWar2

ManOWar2

Hi. I got AVP in pre-order on steam.

I was not expecting much of this game when I bought it, just told myself it would be as fun as the 2 first PC title of AVP, even thought it would be different.

I like the gameplay. IT's pretty fun. The single player campaign is great, even thought it's too short and that I was never freaking out as a marines since I always felt in control or everything. (Wich isnt that good since its AVP)

Overall, I give the game a goodscore. I do not care about metascore on steam and flamers.

However, here is somethings the devellopers must understand :

- This game multiplayer system, is fragmented and split appart. Most of people play Unranked dedicated servers, wich does not make any sense. You need to fix this before the game die.
I'm always happy if I can get 6 players in ranked game, wich kinda suck honestly.

- to complete my other point,  Adding ranked dedicated servers, or making everything ranked is the only way to go. Wich games does have most of it's people playing unranked servers ? This is completely useles !

- The flamer weapon is useless, Completely useless. It wont kill anything and I never saw someone using it.

I paid 50 US$ Dollars for a game that is incomplete, because of the multiplayer failure. I'm sorry, this game is great but it's north 50 US $, maybe 30$ US at the max.

AVP is the game I spent most of money on in the last year (put appart gta4 and modernwarfare 2).

But I do not feel it was worth that much money, even thought I do not regret my purchase because I am having fun with the game. But I am utterly deceived of the whole way the multiplayer is.

It is killing the game and most of the complaints are made towards the lack of ranked games online.

Also on the dedicated server beta list, I see like 150 servers on but barely 4 or 5 of them with enough people in to play a decent game. (6-8 people or more is decent with me). Why is that exactly ? Is is just that people deserted the game ?

We also would like to have more informatino. Why releasing a Map Pack when the game is still not repaired and incomplete ? Honestly ?

Why releasing multiplayer maps, if there is no players to play them !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not flamming. I love the game. I find it to be incomplete thought and I know I'm missing lot of fun just because of things that could be fixed. No game is perfect, but this game is not more than in a OK state and the number of people I see online jut prove that. Also you will notice all the bad reviews arounds, in some way, it means something, to some points. Thought you cannot base your opinions of a game only an on review,

not all reviewers are in wrong with their bad reviews. At some point you gotta give to César what belong to César.

Hope someone can answers on this. I'm an adult person who pay money for video game on PC and I'm sad that PC games are getting poorer and poorer in term of quality and support. I do not call 2 patchs and 1 map packs a support, specially when the two patchs did not corrected the main's problems and when a map pack is release for an almost non-existent online community...

Again, I like the game. I'm just frustrated a bit. I'm not aiming anyone in particular or trying to make this thread a hate thread.

Please if you comment stay polite and everyone can discuss about it ! If I did something wrong in this post, please let me know. I've read the terms and conditions and I do not think this post violate anything...

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Figured I'd finally stop putting off writing my own review.

contains some spoilers.

Introduction:

My first true introduction to the franchise/s was from playing AVP Gold Edition.  I loved the game, the dark atmosphere, the gameplay, everything about it just blew my mind.  Afterwards, I promptly viewed every Alien and Predator film up to that point.  AVP (2010) is a game I've been thinking about ever since enjoying the intense multiplayer of Monolith's AVP2.  I wondered what a truly next gen AVP would look like.  Later after being introduced to Halo on the original Xbox, I had hopes that I'd see an AVP shooter on consoles as that had become my preferred method of gaming.  Well, that day has finally arrived and now we're playing it on both consoles and PC.  So was it worth the wait? For the most part, I think so.

Single Player:

I enjoyed all three campaigns although I felt they were a bit lacking.  I started by playing the marine campaign.  Right off, I was impressed with the look of the colony.  It looked very original while still maintaining that Aliens feel.  The stormy sky, the rivers, and the refinery towering above made the whole thing very immersive.  Refinery was a great level as well; the main Alien hive definitely captured the feel of the films.  I was a bit disappointed in the "battle" with the Queen, I was hoping she would break off of her egg sac to chase me around the room; instead I got to kill her as she sat.  Leaving the refinery, the campaign moves to a much more open jungle.

While the jungle levels were still interesting, I wish Rebellion had done more with the colony as it looked massive and it would have been nice to have more time to explore it.  After some caves and Predator ruins there is the Research Lab.  This was another interesting structure that looked good on the exterior and interior.  Moving through that we get to the final level: The Pyramid.  This was something I was also quite disappointed with.  I was hoping for a lengthy trek through many familiar rooms of the pyramid, but it was quite short with about two rooms leading to the fight with Weyland.  Overall the marine campaign was great fun but at the same time felt a bit underwhelming.

The Alien campaign was also well done; it felt great to sneak around on the ceilings and drop down to pick off prey in a satisfyingly gruesome way.  Playing as Number 6, it seemed like from the opening scenes that there would be a bit more story for our Xeno, But after the first level the story almost becomes nonexistent.  The final cutscene looked great but again gave me the feeling that more could have been done.  Taking over the ship would have been a great last level for the Alien Campaign. 

The Predator campaign was probably the one I had the most fun with.  The effective weapons and jumping mechanic made me feel quite powerful.  More effort was placed in the story in this campaign then that of the Alien, but the heavy emphasis on the ancient Predator heritage and rituals seemed a bit unnecessary.  This campaign had the best boss fight in the game, The Predalien design was the best yet and it put up a good fight on nightmare difficulty. 

All in all the campaigns were good, but they could have been great.  I don't think it would have taken much more to make them feel truly epic rather than just good enough.  Visiting pretty much all the same areas as each species also made the single player experience feel inferior to the past AVP shooters.

7.5/10

Multiplayer:

Similar to Killzone 2, the multiplayer is where this game really shines.  It's the reason you buy AVP in my opinion.  Almost all of the matches I've played have been great fun.  Although the maps have received some criticism, to me they both look and play quite well with areas to the advantage of each species.  The map count does feel a bit low however; hopefully we'll see more in future DLC.  The game modes are all enjoyable, unique, and interesting.  The multiplayer induces tension quite well, especially in Infestation and Survivor. 

The Survivor co-op is also fun, but I do feel it could have been tweaked a bit to be more enjoyable.  Wave respawns and eventually bigger aliens such as a large Praetorian or Predalien would have made things more fun.  Overall the multiplayer is flat out awesome and I've been having a great time with it.  It was a good choice to have a level of customization with the skins but again feels like just a bit more (Female marines, Predator armor variety, Runner, Predalien) would have made things feel truly polished.  Again, hopefully some DLC will aid this.

8.8/10

Gameplay:

The gameplay is another strong point of this game.  I think it's great that AVP has an old school horror FPS feel similar to games like Quake IV or Doom 3.  Far more than any AVP title before it, AVP (2010) really has you feel like you're playing as an Alien/ Predator/Marine.  The controls might feel a bit awkward at first compared to other FPS games, but work quite well after you get the hang of them (again like Killzone 2). 

The game feels well balanced, it could use a tweak here or there but I'm pretty impressed with Rebellion's job on trying to create a level playing field.  Overall the controls work fine and all three species are fun to play.  If I had just a couple complaints about the mechanics they would be that the Predator's arsenal could have used a few more toys, and the Alien headbite to regain health should have been available in multiplayer.

8.5/10

Presentation:

Graphically, this game looks pretty good.   Especially on PC but also on consoles, the textures, lighting, and character models all look great.  In the first level of the Alien campaign I waited a moment before releasing my "siblings" just to get a good look at how well the Xenomorph models really turned out, they are quite impressive.  The Predators and to a lesser extent the marines look great also.  The violence and trophy kills look fantastic and are immensely satisfying. The environments throughout the game are well designed and immersive, even with the feeling that more could have been done with them.

The Sound design works great with effects that sound faithful to the source material. The weapons, ambient noises, and creatures all sound top notch.  The voice acting however is rather poor and dragged the marine single player experience down for me a bit.  The audio diaries are alright, however the main characters with the exception of Weyland do not sound very convincing.  Also, some of the marines can get downright annoying at times after hearing "Don't relax just yet marines!" for the hundredth time.  The fact that AVP2 has much better voice acting than this after nine years is unfortunate.

7.5/10

In conclusion:

I feel that AVP(2010) excels beyond its predecessors in some areas, yet lags behind in others.  The experience of playing as each species feels spot on and the multiplayer is very fun, but some presentation issues and a lack of polish prevent this game from being everything that I had hoped.  In the end I'm still quite satisfied and I feel that AVP is a worthy sequel to the previous games.  The multiplayer saves this game from being just average and lifts it to being quite good.  I'll be playing it for a long time to come. 

Pros:
+Multiplayer
+Graphics
+Sound effects
+Gameplay mechanics

Cons:
-Voice acting
-Campaign variety
-Lack of Polish
-Story

Score: 8.1/10

AJL

AJL

Pros:

• Graphics (great)
  • MP >play< (good)
  • SP Levels (ok)
Cons:

• MP hosting (terrible)
  • MP joining (terrible)
  • MP options (terrible)
  • Server list (terrible)
  • Mechanics (bad)
  • Amount... (bad)

On scale from 1 to 10... Its about 4 or 5... And its that
high only because it is an AvP game and I am AvP fan...

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: War Wager on Mar 16, 2010, 07:38:47 PM
Done a review over on Spectrum if anyone's interested.

Your review was well done but I find it strange you gave the game a 2.5 when all your scores averaged to 3.25

War Wager

War Wager

It's really a score based on how happy I was with the overall game.

Dajanksta

Dajanksta

I put the game back in last night and tried playing it. lasted about 15 minutes and turned it off. Damnit! I might just trade it in for some credit towards god of war or something... :'(

New Way Devil

New Way Devil

I really liked the game at first, despite it's flaws. But I have to admit, the novelty has worn off a little now.
I posted a review on my blog. Please take a look:
http://superhighwaycompanion.blogspot.com/2010/02/video-game-review-aliens-vs-predator.html

-Sharky-

-Sharky-

Quote from: New Way Devil on Mar 20, 2010, 11:52:20 AM
I really liked the game at first, despite it's flaws. But I have to admit, the novelty has worn off a little now.
http://superhighwaycompanion.blogspot.com/2010/02/video-game-review-aliens-vs-predator.html

Sadly I think many feels that way...

Bhaal

Bhaal

Multiplayer

The pred might be overpowered if you consider disc and plasma . But if you're playing nice pred sucks 90% of the time. Look at the game matches, the pred are almost always on the 3rd place in STD. It's because of the mecanics. Unlike the marine who can still fight more enemies, once you want to kill something with the pred its like the whole universe reduces to you and your target. And if anybody else comes in you die. And i preferred being pounced rather than stealth killed. I don't know i try and try but this game just doesn't make it for me, while playing as pred. As marine is just like AVP2 on my part.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: New Way Devil on Mar 20, 2010, 11:52:20 AM

You were incorrect about the trophy kills in your review:

Quotethe symbol which signals when you can perform them appears seemingly at random.

The trophy kill prompt appears if the enemy has been stunned by a heavy attack, or knocked down by a focus attack. 

safetyman

safetyman

It's also completely useless sometimes, you'll start teleporting after your stealth killee, but ultimately nothing happens, except they turn around and kill you, which is what he's talking about.

ScoobySnax

ScoobySnax

Graphics: 7.5/10
Story: 6/10
MultiPlayer: 8/10
Support: 5/10

But still a pretty darn fun game.

Brother

Brother

MP got the highest score, lolz.

Adey

Adey

Quote from: ScoobySnax on Mar 22, 2010, 04:27:21 PM
Graphics: 7.5/10
Story: 6/10
MultiPlayer: 8/10
Support: 5/10

But still a pretty darn fun game.
Quote from: Brother on Mar 22, 2010, 11:43:37 PM
I agree scoobysnax. and mp never gets boring for me, so thats why it gets highest score, if the support (the right support) was there mp would get 9/10. 10/10 if 5 more big mp maps were added new skins and higher ranks (100 ranks ) also.

ScoobySnax

ScoobySnax

Quote from: Brother on Mar 22, 2010, 11:43:37 PM
Sure, there's a balancing issue here and there but that doesn't stop it being fun. It lowered the support score though.
And Adey you nailed it for me. MP is amazing if not a bit unbalanced due to the lack of proper support, but we got patch 3, and that's something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed