All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,392 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Finally a show that looks like it's worth watching.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's evidentially going to be episodic in nature which'll be a breath of fresh air in this new age. I like arc based adventures, but I'm bored of the ones focused around mystery, but I'm still interested to see how they handle a return to that olden style of story-telling for Trek.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I don't mind arcs, but I also don't like the plot-reset button that the TNG-era used so often.  I hope this show can avoid that and the technobabble solutions to problems in the last five minutes of each episode.  I also hope the collective amnesia about things that warrant mentioning in later episodes doesn't afflict this crew.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Completely agree. I like the idea of episodic, but it still needs to matter going forward.

SM

SM

I'll take overall arc way of doing things over the old every episode exists in a vacuum approach.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Episodic seemed to work very very well for the trek franchise. 

It's why Trek still exists. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2020, 01:31:40 AM
I'll take overall arc way of doing things over the old every episode exists in a vacuum approach.

"Hey, remember that thing/being we encountered two episodes ago that would easily solve our problem in this episode?  Yeah, me neither!"

SM

SM

I think Voyager and to a lesser extent TNG suffered from this, and it's more about the lack of development of characters and their relationships.  Tom and B'Elanna hooked up on Voyager but that was more or less it.  And Harry never gets promoted.  Seven years worth of adventures and ordeals and trauma on all these shows (perhaps less so on DS9) and everything they've gone through hasn't particularly changed them that much.  On TNG it's very often just about Picard and Data, and even their progress is minimal.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you finally binge through TNG?  Also, Rick Berman sounds like a real charmer...

SM

SM

I've seen a lot of TNG but I don't ever imagine I'll watch all of it.

And Berman, yeah... I watched a video about him recently.  Might've been one of Steve Shives, can't remember.  It sounds like Ira Steven Behr at DS9 wanted to have more ongoing stories and was consistently blocked by Berman (among many of Berman's other crimes).

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Berman and Randy should hang out.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Randy could share his flash drive with him at a Medieval Times restaurant.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2020, 01:31:40 AM

I'm in if they go the Enterprise S3/4 or the DS9 approach to arc based storytelling. It's really just my distaste of the last 3 seasons of Trek all focusing around a mystery to solve at the end of the arc. I'm just bored of it now.

SM

SM

I haven't watched all of Picard yet.  The first few eps were okay, and Discovery had been sluggish in patches.  But in their favour is the fact that they're only around 13 or 14 episodes and the good episodes vs bad episodes hit rate is higher.  I've only recently realised that this is the kind of storytelling I prefer even going back to when I was child.  My favourite shows were things like Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) or Monkey, where, while episodic there was an overarching story or quest.  Robotech was another one that was even more focused on the overall story.  I enjoy TOS primarily because of Kirk, Spock and McCoy despite it being episodic and often uneven, plus I came to it the long way round via the films (and a few re-runs in the 70s).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed