All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,342 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

To be fair the supernova didn't destroy all life in the galaxy, just a region around Romulus.

SM

SM

Just got done watching the Animated Series.  For something aimed fairly at kids, it's often quite nifty.  Having the originals doing the voices is a definite plus (minus Koenig).  Also a plus is Kirk not being able to crack onto anything in a skirt with a pulse, which got really old during TOS.

bb-15

bb-15

I finished watching the Discovery finale and imo it was the worst written episode of season one.
1. It was preachy. I think even beyond Picard's most know it all speeches in Next Generation.
2. The ending of the episode was rushed resolving several season long story lines in seconds.
3. The ending was too tidy having a huge tone shift from tense to happy; almost like the end of the Wizard of Oz.

* I'm not going to discuss how Discovery fits with original universe Star Trek (it doesn't in several ways).
- But with this finale, Discovery didn't fit with itself very well.   

;)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Honestly, it felt like they just couldn't wait to wrap everything up and move on to something else.   A disappointing finale to what has otherwise been pretty good.   Also, a lot of the failure of the finale for me was that there were many things along the way this season that I worried were rushed or badly written, but you try to give them the benefit of the doubt...that they may have a plan for stuff, and it will all work out okay.  Not so much in the end. 

Nice to know you can conquer the Klingons by holding up a device and you don't even have to explain what it is or what it does, they'll just give up.  And why was that Klingon force heading for Earth so damn small?   Less than a dozen ships, what is this TNG's Unification;)

Immortan Jonesy

kwisatz

kwisatz

It would be even funnier if a warp drive accidentally gets invented this way.

genocyber

genocyber

Can we just kill off Micahael Burnem and have Seru be the new lead?

Vermillion

Vermillion

So.  The new captain is on Vulcan?
Dafaq?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So...the last episode. I liked that it was resolved with words. However, I do feel like it was a little neat and I don't think L'Rell's scene was the best way of putting it across. It did seem a little "ooohhh, magical padd." It didn't seem like she'd already filled them in on what it does.

Now that it's all done - I did really like Michael. I loved Saru. I love all the main cast and characters. Really got into them.

And that ending. Love the new take on it. I can't see us ever getting on the ship though. They've said they wouldn't redesign the set and that they also can't re-use the originals. I'd also wouldn't want to see another Spock. Perhaps a new Pike. I'd be interested in more Pike.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 17, 2018, 11:23:26 AM
They've said they wouldn't redesign the set
Kurtzman recently said they would be going inside, and that the sets would be redesigned.  "Respectful of the old" but the style of the new.   

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Can you link me?

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

I can, but first I have to mea cupla for my assumption.  He's actually a little cagey about it all, refusing to absolutely say for sure what will be.  So my apologies for that misread.  ...That said, I'd put money on his Ifs being Whens.

QuoteIn terms of designing that Enterprise bridge set, for Discovery you went for a mix of modern and retro, while the 2009 film had its own look. What are you going for in terms of the look of the Enterprise bridge?
That's another sneaky question because you're presuming we've designed an Enterprise bridge.

You just said we'll be surprised at who is on the Enterprise! Are we going to only hear their voices through the Discovery's coms the whole season?
I said "on the ship," not "on the bridge." Here's what I'll say: We have to stay consistent design-wise with the Enterprise, obviously we can't mess around with that. That being said, the technology and the look of the Discovery is so far past TOS merely as a function of the time in which these [shows were made]. Our goal is to be interpretive in a way that feels it's protective of what the Enterprise would look like if, in theory, if we were to build any Enterprise sets. But if we built it like it looked in The Original Series, there would be a massive visual disconnect. Figuring out a way to bridge that gap would theoretically be the work of a production designer — were there to be any designs like that.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/11/star-trek-discovery-finale-season-2-interview/

Why would they need a goal unless it was on the table?  :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Absolutely fair point. I can just imagine the outrage now.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Feb 19, 2018, 10:07:25 AM
I can, but first I have to mea cupla for my assumption.  He's actually a little cagey about it all, refusing to absolutely say for sure what will be.  So my apologies for that misread.  ...That said, I'd put money on his Ifs being Whens.

QuoteIn terms of designing that Enterprise bridge set, for Discovery you went for a mix of modern and retro, while the 2009 film had its own look. What are you going for in terms of the look of the Enterprise bridge?
That's another sneaky question because you're presuming we've designed an Enterprise bridge.

You just said we'll be surprised at who is on the Enterprise! Are we going to only hear their voices through the Discovery's coms the whole season?
I said "on the ship," not "on the bridge." Here's what I'll say: We have to stay consistent design-wise with the Enterprise, obviously we can't mess around with that. That being said, the technology and the look of the Discovery is so far past TOS merely as a function of the time in which these [shows were made]. Our goal is to be interpretive in a way that feels it's protective of what the Enterprise would look like if, in theory, if we were to build any Enterprise sets. But if we built it like it looked in The Original Series, there would be a massive visual disconnect. Figuring out a way to bridge that gap would theoretically be the work of a production designer — were there to be any designs like that.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/11/star-trek-discovery-finale-season-2-interview/

Why would they need a goal unless it was on the table?  :)

I appreciate the quote.
This information from Kurtzman is an example of the mental gymnastics which I figured would take place if a new direct prequel to TOS stayed in the original universe.
The reason for the Kelvin timeline in Star Trek (2009) was to avoid all that.

* My interpretation of Kurtzman with my own spin on it;
- The Enterprise at the end of season 1 was a bauble to dangle in front of ST fans to get them to come back for season 2.
- But if Kurtzman is telling the truth about being "protective of what the Enterprise would look like", then Michael Burnham and the gang can't do more than beam to a Jeffries tube and then go back to the starship Discovery.

I'm not happy that the writers have Burnham being raised by Ambassador Sarek. How come we never heard about that before?
"Discovery" messing with the Enterprise comes down to either eye candy or Burnham will be chatting with family member Spock and the show will continue to screw with the original series timeline.
(See the Red Letter Media review of the first season of "Discovery" for a detailed discussion of these issues.)

Despite all my problems, the series is entertaining because Netflix poured so much money into it that visually it's at the level of a big budget film.
Also, the writers have packed the show with the best action ideas from older Star Trek (massive war & the Mirror Universe along with Klingons).
It's been an action Star Trek's greatest hits so far. 

;)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: bb-15 on Feb 24, 2018, 08:48:15 PMI'm not happy that the writers have Burnham being raised by Ambassador Sarek. How come we never heard about that before?
The same reason we had never heard of Sybok before.  Or katras.  Or pon farr.  Spock does not always share information when he doesn't have to.  Heck, he didn't even admit who his parents were until they were literally standing in front of Kirk.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed